Amy Adams is Lois Lane: - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes please. Might we finally see a CBM that actually has a good and sincere romance to all that teenage-fluff we're usually accustomed to. One that's essential to the character and the story.

I thought Captain America pulled that very thing off quite well. Thor on the other hand...

I thought Captain America pulled that very thing off quite well. Thor on the other hand...

I thought it was the other way around. But that neither made it worthwhile.

Curious, do you guys think that Amy's Lois should already be established as a Pulitzer Prize Award Winning Journalist in this film? Or, like Superman, should she be still in the starting point of her career?

Curious, do you guys think that Amy's Lois should already be established as a Pulitzer Prize Award Winning Journalist in this film? Or, like Superman, should she be still in the starting point of her career?

Probably not starting point, but still chasing her first big scoop and looks like Superman might be it. Yet another great angle to add to the reboot. :cwink:

Well I do hope that in the end, she's not written in the way that Kate Bosworth's Lois was written, let alone on how her current New 52 counterpart is like. If I had to draw a particular source material for her to be based off of, I'd go with a mixture of Birthright and Secret Origins.

How would we feel on here if Amy wasn't up for a sequel and they re-casted the role to Isla Fisher (they look so similar). That would be the worst thing ever for me.

How would we feel on here if Amy wasn't up for a sequel and they re-casted the role to Isla Fisher (they look so similar). That would be the worst thing ever for me.

I've always been personally against the idea of changing the actors for any given role throughout franchises as big as these just for a few reasons:

1. Visual Continuity; no matter how much they try to establish that this new actor/actress is the same character that I saw in the previous film(s), it still feels like a new character altogether for me. I connect my experience with a character by the actor/actress that portrays them, so to see that person go, is like to see that character that I've been following up until then, die from the franchise. E.G.: They can say all that they want that Mark's Bruce is the same Bruce that experienced the events of "TIH", but I just have a hard going back to that film and feeling that given that it was Ed Norton in that role for that film.

2. I especially hate the idea of changing the actors if I enjoyed their performance from the previous film(s)

Losing Amy as Lois would be a big mistake. IMHO, you literally can't get a better actress to play the role for the time being. I mean how many actresses have a resume and likable image/real life personality like Amy, let alone the skills to back up their credit?

I'm wondering if her winning a Pulitzer Prize won't even be a factor, she might just want to know the truth.

If you think about it, that would solve the problem of how Lois can't recognize Superman when he's wearing glasses. She'd be in on the disguise from the start.

Hes a godlike alien, working as a Reporter, no explanation needed.

I've always been personally against the idea of changing the actors for any given role throughout franchises as big as these just for a few reasons:

1. Visual Continuity; no matter how much they try to establish that this new actor/actress is the same character that I saw in the previous film(s), it still feels like a new character altogether for me. I connect my experience with a character by the actor/actress that portrays them, so to see that person go, is like to see that character that I've been following up until then, die from the franchise. E.G.: They can say all that they want that Mark's Bruce is the same Bruce that experienced the events of "TIH", but I just have a hard going back to that film and feeling that given that it was Ed Norton in that role for that film.

2. I especially hate the idea of changing the actors if I enjoyed their performance from the previous film(s)

Losing Amy as Lois would be a big mistake. IMHO, you literally can't get a better actress to play the role for the time being. I mean how many actresses have a resume and likable image/real life personality like Amy, let alone the skills to back up their credit?

Yeah, I'm almost always against recasting actors. The only times where I didn't mind it was in the recent Batman movies (because Katie Holmes was so bland in BB) and in Iron Man (I like Don Cheadle a lot more than Terrance Howard).

If you think about it, that would solve the problem of how Lois can't recognize Superman when he's wearing glasses. She'd be in on the disguise from the start.

She's in Alaska around the same time as the oil rig explosion(maybe she doesn't see him)

She's in Smallville at some point(and I guess she still doesn't see him)

And she's at the desert meeting(so she sees him as Superman)

If she's not in on it but actually sees him in Alaska and Smallville when the major events happen then she would look stupid.

At least the point of Daily Planet Clark was that she didn't pay attention to him.

The only twist I could come up with was a reverse of the super kiss. She does know, but during the fight, Zod and co. do something that makes him end up forgetting what happened and Lois keeps her knowledge a secret.

She's in Alaska around the same time as the oil rig explosion(maybe she doesn't see him)

She's in Smallville at some point(and I guess she still doesn't see him)

And she's at the desert meeting(so she sees him as Superman)

If she's not in on it but actually sees him in Alaska and Smallville when the major events happen then she would look stupid.

At least the point of Daily Planet Clark was that she didn't pay attention to him.

She's in Alaska but he does have a beard and messy hair

Maybe Smallville leads on from the army base?

I don't think it makes her look stupid at all, if she doesn't know him as Clark Kent in the first place then why even suspect him?

Maybe him meeting Lois us what makes him take a job at the DP at the end of the movie, don't get me wrong i actually think the idea if her been in on it from the start is refreshing but I don't think they'll take that route myself.

You know, I was just going to post this long attempt at justifying how the Clark/Lois/Supes triangle could work in this film... but I think i've let go of that one.

It's just that last scene in the trailer... it's making it impossible for the triangle to work.

Let me explain why (excuse me if any of this sounds incredibly girly).

In LnC and other incarnations, the reason it's almost plausible that she doesn't even look twice at Clark, is that she's swept up in the magic of this unattainable, alien superhero almost like a fan to a celebrity. And while she does actually develop strong feelings for him, because he is pretty much the perfect man (heroic, protective, kind, caring, passionate etc) and any girl would... she doesn't actually know him at all. She's just got this idea of him, and that idea is pretty much a lie. He makes sure to be very very private when in Superman guise, and not let on that he might actually have a human personality.

With Clark, because he's got such a full human personality, because he's got parents and a childhood and friends... she simply wouldn't ever think of putting the two together. It'd be sort of illogical.

Now, I grew up on that dynamic, and i've loved it for a long time.

But just looking at the obvious connection they have in that scene... that's not a school girl crush. That's not a cheesy, swept of her feet romance. That's two people who care about each other a lot... and it sort of says to me that they've been through something together beforehand. That perhaps she does know him a little better than any Lois has ever known any Superman this early on before.

And because of that, i'd find it hard to see how she wouldn't immediately see straight through such a flimsey disguise, when she's pretty much staring into his soul in that moment :funny:

Plus, i'm pretty sure that last 'what do you think' line is directed at Lois... so if he's talking to her about his father being afraid people wouldn't accept him, he's talking openly about his relationship with Jonathon Kent.

You know, I was just going to post this long attempt at justifying how the Clark/Lois/Supes triangle could work in this film... but I think i've let go of that one.

It's just that last scene in the trailer... it's making it impossible for the triangle to work.

In LnC and other incarnations, the reason it's almost plausible that she doesn't even look twice at Clark, is that she's swept up in the magic of this unattainable, alien superhero almost like a fan to a celebrity. And while she does actually develop strong feelings for him, because he is pretty much the perfect man (heroic, protective, kind, caring, passionate etc) and any girl would... she doesn't actually know him at all. She's just got this idea of him, and that idea is pretty much a lie. He makes sure to be very very private when in Superman guise, and not let on that he might actually have a human personality.

With Clark, because he's got such a full human personality, because he's got parents and a childhood and friends... she simply wouldn't ever think of putting the two together. It'd be sort of illogical.

But just looking at the obvious connection they have in that scene... that's not a school girl crush. That's not a cheesy, swept of her feet romance. That's two people who care about each other a lot... and it sort of says to me that they've been through something together beforehand. That perhaps she does know him a little better than any Lois has ever known any Superman this early on before.

And because of that, i'd find it hard to see how she wouldn't immediately see straight through such a flimsey disguise, when she's pretty much staring into his soul in that moment :funny:

Plus, i'm pretty sure that last 'what do you think' line is directed at Lois... so if he's talking to her about his father being afraid people wouldn't accept him, he's talking openly about s relationship with Jonathon Kent.
Hello my name is jaymes_e06 and i endorse this message. :up:

Plus, i'm pretty sure that last 'what do you think' line is directed at Lois... so if he's talking to her about his father being afraid people wouldn't accept him, he's talking openly about his relationship with Jonathon Kent.
I totally agree. You've perfectly summed up why I really think Lois already knows his secret by the time he joins the Daily Planet. A dramatic change from canon, yes, but it would swiftly eliminate the general audience's #1 complaint about Superman I always hear ("How can she not recognize him?!"). If done well, I'd be perfectly ok with it, to be honest.

Though for the record, I DO think it would have been possible to do the more traditional triangle with a realistic (non-caricature) version of Metropolis!Clark, and still have it believable that she doesn't recognize him. But in my head, that would require her relationship with Superman to be much more "from afar" than what they're going for (more like you described), so I don't blame Snyder/Nolan/Goyer for not wanting to go that route.

Last edited:
Agree with all the above posts. I also much prefer this type of relationship over the more flirtatious dynamic they've shared in other incarnations. This seems much more raw and heartfelt. I love them taking each others hand in the trailer. It's such a perfect way to culminate it. I can't really describe why but it just works for me. Completely sells it.

Agree with all the above posts. I also much prefer this type of relationship over the more flirtatious dynamic they've shared in other incarnations. This seems much more raw and heartfelt. I love them taking each others hand in the trailer. It's such a perfect way to culminate it. I can't really describe why but it just works for me. Completely sells it.

MOS could be a perfect opportunity to show the critics once more that a female lead within a Comic Book Genre Film can be a great character on her own that's relevant to the story while having a really great and developed relationship written between her and the titular character.

Plus, it doesn't hurt to mention that there are still plenty of fans of the whole iconic Lois and Clark relationship, especially after the New 52 reboot took that away from them. You provide them and the GA with a well written relationship you'll not only attract the fans of the relationship but the General Audience goers as well, especially the demographics who enjoy that aspect within the story.

Well I thought The Dark Knight Rises already did that with Anne Hathaway's Catwoman but its something that needs to be more consistent. I'm very confident Amy .adams will nail the role and she's pretty much loved by all anyway so that's a good start for her, lets just hope the script gives her an important role which on early signs looks very likely.

Well I thought The Dark Knight Rises already did that with Anne Hathaway's Catwoman but its something that needs to be more consistent. I'm very confident Amy .adams will nail the role and she's pretty much loved by all anyway so that's a good start for her, lets just hope the script gives her an important role which on early signs looks very likely.

Oh yeah, definitely. I mean on the lines of needing more films to further add proof that female leads within any comic book genre film can be written and portrayed well on the screen.

It may have worked in the past, but with today's standards, and my own personal taste, I've never enjoyed seeing female leads within comic book genre films where they just come off as nothing more than a eye candy/damsel in distress where the only reasons why they are in the film (as far as the film has portrayed them to be) is nothing more than being the woman that the hero saves and "gets" in the end.

Oh yeah, definitely. I mean on the lines of needing more films to further add proof that female leads within any comic book genre film can be written and portrayed well on the screen.

It may have worked in the past, but with today's standards, and my own personal taste, I've never enjoyed seeing female leads within comic book genre films where they just come off as nothing more than a eye candy/damsel in distress where the only reasons why they are in the film (as far as the film has portrayed them to be) is nothing more than being the woman that the hero saves and "gets" in the end.

Yeah I totally get that it's actually become a cliche we want to see our heroes saving others n not just the woman closest to them they've all been guilty if it in recent years lets hope Man of Steel changes that for the better.

I think one thing that may/will/could help the performance of this film is the fact that Amy has a large fanbase as well, thus one could expect to have a good turnout from that group to attend and see this film, which would only help the BO Revenue.

I think one thing that may/will/could help the performance of this film is the fact that Amy has a large fanbase as well, thus one could expect to have a good turnout from that group to attend and see this film, which would only help the BO Revenue.

Yeah she's definitely loved :up: I guess with this film you have a few fanbases cause you also have Cavill's, he has a pretty sizeable following just cause women and probably some men can't get enough looks at him lol. I know this is a bad example but when I went to see Green Lantern the cinema was half full with Reynolds loving fan girls and comic book fans. So if Man of Steel can bring in the GA, plus these fanbases we could be onto something, you only worry when it's only the fanbases going to see it, after all it wasn't just the comic fans etc who made the Avengers into a global smash.

I'd have to see how it's handled to decide if I like that approach. I'd be more inclined to Lois knowing Clark is Superman, and Clark doesn't know that she knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"