Amy Adams is Lois Lane: - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
:funny: Sorry, I took that back, but obviously not before you replied... see above, as after re reading what you said, I felt like I need to defend Lois' right to care about her career...

Maybe you could clarify what "career driven" means to you because I'm thinking it means something different to me...

When I said Lois doesn't care about her career I wasn't saying she hates her career or doesn't appreciate recognition if it does come her way. What I meant is that it isn't of ultimate importance for her... it isn't an end in itself.

A lot of times when people (particularly feminists) use the phrase "career driven" its all about someone increasing their social status, way of life, and prestige as an end in itself. Sometimes this is a sort of "break the glass ceiling" thing where a career-driven woman proves she can hold the same positions of authority that men traditionally held. That is, the career is the drive in career-driven. This is often lauded as a virtue, but I don't think it really is one, for women or for men.

I find it better for someone in a career to love their career because of what they do in the career, which in Lois' case is revealing the truth, writing good news stories, and fighting corruption. She's driven to do those things. Its not "oh I have a career so I'll be career driven and garner prestige and power and social standing." Lois doesn't really seem to care about those aspects of her career. What she cares about are the passions and beliefs and gifts that drove her to that career in the first place.

That doesn't mean she hates getting accolades or good social standing or recognition. She's thrilled when those things happen. But in the end she always proves willing to sacrifice those things for her passions and beliefs. Those things don't drive her in and of themselves... they are just icing on the cake.

Maybe you could clarify what "career driven" means to you because I'm thinking it means something different to me...

When I said Lois doesn't care about her career I wasn't saying she hates her career or doesn't appreciate recognition if it does come her way. What I meant is that it isn't of ultimate importance for her... it isn't an end in itself.

A lot of times when people (particularly feminists) use the phrase "career driven" its all about someone increasing their social status, way of life, and prestige as an end in itself. Sometimes this is a sort of "break the glass ceiling" thing where a career-driven woman proves she can hold the same positions of authority that men traditionally held. That is, the career is the drive in career-driven. This is often lauded as a virtue, but I don't think it really is one, for women or for men.

I find it better for someone in a career to love their career because of what they do in the career, which in Lois' case is revealing the truth, writing good news stories, and fighting corruption. She's driven to do those things. Its not "oh I have a career so I'll be career driven and garner prestige and power and social standing." Lois doesn't really seem to care about those aspects of her career. What she cares about are the passions and beliefs and gifts that drove her to that career in the first place.

That doesn't mean she hates getting accolades or good social standing or recognition. She's thrilled when those things happen. But in the end she always proves willing to sacrifice those things for her passions and beliefs. Those things don't drive her in and of themselves... they are just icing on the cake.

1. I never actually said 'career driven'... I said she can come across as selfish, particularly in regards to men and her career - as in she has been known to bend the rules, step over people, or take advantage of them in order to get the information she's after.

2. I think that's a bad place of a lot of assumption to pack into those two words. I mean, I guess it could mean that, but I always saw 'career driven' as literally just meaning 'driven in life by your career'...

What the reasons are behind that drive (actual passion for the job or just greed and a need for social standing) can't be assumed from the phrase.

hopefuldreamer, you keep using the phrase "can come across as selfish"... we both agree that Lois isn't really selfish or self-centered, right? That's really my main point.

Okay, then you've totally lost me. Because I never in any way suggested I actually thought she was selfish.

You said the one thing you didnt agree with in my summation of Lois' character was that she cared about her career. I'm just disagreeing. But it seems you didn't actually mean what you said, when you said:

This is closer to what I view the character as, but it still isn't quite right. The Lois I love doesn't care about her career. She isn't career driven.

So that's fine :)

Last edited:
1. I never actually said 'career driven'... I said she can come across as selfish, particularly in regards to men and her career - as in she has been known to bend the rules, step over people, or take advantage of them in order to get the information she's after.

2. I think that's a bad place of a lot of assumption to pack into those two words. I mean, I guess it could mean that, but I always saw 'career driven' as literally just meaning 'driven in life by your career'...

What the reasons are behind that drive (actual passion for the job or just greed and a need for social standing) can't be assumed from the phrase.

Career driven has always has many different connotations. Most of them though seem to settle on one whose only focus is the advancement of their career.

Though I'd say it has an undercurrent of not being the best quality. Forest for the trees sort of thing.

Sorry, hopefuldreamer, I must have gotten confused. You gave RachelDawes' comment about being "haughty and self-centered with a heart of gold" a thumbs up, and then wrote about Lois' attitude towards "men and her career," so I put those two together probably in a way you didn't intend. We've probably been actually agreeing all along.

Look at all this deep conversation stemming from Lois Lane. The movie is doing its job already.

But I love it when Becky gives her opinions on the subject. It's a highlight of delight. :D

Oh I love it too, but then we get the "That's not the creaters' intentions. You can't look at Superman as a real person because he doesn't exist blah blah blah blah blah" posts,

But I thought Kurosawa was banned. :huh:

;):p

XicHOO8.jpg

3sAIMzt.jpg
Clark looks more like a GQ model than a reporter

I don't like it. The "I finally found a man who can keep up with me" seems a bit haughty and self-centered. Love is about self-giving to each other, not about one person keeping up with the other person.

Well, Mark Millar.

Clark looks more like a GQ model than a reporter

That's because Cavill is not in character or posing as the character. That's also why Shannon looks more like a weak businessman rather than a powerful General in the Empire photo of the Kryptonians. :cwink:

I'm so glad you mentioned this.
I thought the monologue was cool, and i get what Tarantino was doing with it. But boy, it was way off on the character.

I think that was the point. Look at which character said the quote in the movie. A villainous character whose point of view is flawed and wrong. I mean, look at other villain monologues in other Tarantino movies and you see that their monologues are usually misguided.

I think that was the point. Look at which character said the quote in the movie. A villainous character whose point of view is flawed and wrong. I mean, look at other villain monologues in other Tarantino movies and you see that their monologues are usually misguided.

Good point but I still wouldn't be surprised if Tarantino actually really believed that. Someone should ask him. :oldrazz:

But I love it when Becky gives her opinions on the subject. It's a highlight of delight. :D

Thankyou! :)

Oh I love it too, but then we get the "That's not the creaters' intentions. You can't look at Superman as a real person because he doesn't exist blah blah blah blah blah" posts,

But I thought Kurosawa was banned. :huh:

;):p

:funny:

I miss Kuro. I wish I knew how he'd have reacted to the new photos or some of the new info we've gotten, or even the trailer!

What about TruertotheCore or whatever his name is?

He don't seem to come round these parts no more... :(

T
I miss Kuro. I wish I knew how he'd have reacted to the new photos or some of the new info we've gotten, or even the trailer!

Probably something along the lines of:

"That's not Superman. That's just Peter Parker posing as one. The REAL Superman would never question his identity. Pa Kent as far as I'm concerned is the man that will always encourage him to be a hero, no matter what the cost. Superman should never be so easily wounded and spill blood on the ground and Superman's too smart to be captured by the army. It's really sad to see on how the name of Superman is tarnished now into this fake form. I really wonder if we'll ever see the REAL superman presented on the screen the way he should be"

You get the idea.:oldrazz:

Side Note: I WANT MORE AMY ADAMS AS LOIS LANE PICTURES!!!!.lol

Probably something along the lines of:

"That's not Superman. That's just Peter Parker posing as one. The REAL Superman would never question his identity. Pa Kent as far as I'm concerned is the man that will always encourage him to be a hero, no matter what the cost. Superman should never be so easily wounded and spill blood on the ground and Superman's too smart to be captured by the army. It's really sad to see on how the name of Superman is tarnished now into this fake form. I really wonder if we'll ever see the REAL superman presented on the screen the way he should be"

That is uncanny....its like you were channeling his departed spirit...

That didn't sound like Kuro. You were too nice and didn't insult fans of modern Superman.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back