"Ancient History" Talkback/Discussion

Artistsean said:
but not open mouth. There are certain guidelines that cartoons have to follow, and in the past Bruce Timm cartoons had to fallow them.
They even list them in the art of Batman the animated series.
Don't depict Child endangerment, no nudity, no religion or I guess not alot of it, not guns or I guess guns being actually fired, no blood, and stuff like that.
I mean they had Lex Luther kill alot of people using the League's laser cannon thing on their ship.
I guess that since JLU is now shown at 10:30 they can show stuff like this. I think its fine, they don't glorify it though.

Question just likes following me around the boards. :confused:

Artistsean said:
but not open mouth. There are certain guidelines that cartoons have to follow, and in the past Bruce Timm cartoons had to fallow them.
They even list them in the art of Batman the animated series.
Don't depict Child endangerment, no nudity, no religion or I guess not alot of it, not guns or I guess guns being actually fired, no blood, and stuff like that.
I mean they had Lex Luther kill alot of people using the League's laser cannon thing on their ship.
I guess that since JLU is now shown at 10:30 they can show stuff like this. I think its fine, they don't glorify it though.

I doubt any kids will know the difference between a regular kiss and an open mouth kiss.

Kurosawa said:
I clearly SAID that I liked about 95% of what they've done, except for their handling of the Hawks. They completely screwed them up and thoroughly degraded Hawkman, IMO. Their Hawkman is a stalker, a loser and a punk. He sucks and he's a slap in the face to both the character and to the characters fans, of which I am one, and their Hawkgirl is a nasty rut. The entire scenario is a slap in the face to everything the Hawks are supposed to be and are supposed to represent.

No, it's not. It actually makes alot of sense, both in the comics and in the show. They've been soul mates for thousands of years. Suddenly, she doesn't remember their past and isn't interested. A stable relationship that lasted that long suddenly ends, the guy's going to go nuts.

celldog said:
Question just likes following me around the boards. :confused:

No, I really don't.

The Question said:
I doubt any kids will know the difference between a regular kiss and an open mouth kiss.

No, it's not. It actually makes alot of sense, both in the comics and in the show. They've been soul mates for thousands of years. Suddenly, she doesn't remember their past and isn't interested. A stable relationship that lasted that long suddenly ends, the guy's going to go nuts.

No, I really don't.

Yes you do.......
Everywhere I post or create.....I can count on you to show up with 2 cents.

celldog said:
Yes you do.......
Everywhere I post or create.....I can count on you to show up with 2 cents.

It's because we're on the same ****ing message board. It's quite likely that I'm going to read one of your posts. And some of the time, it's in a thread where you've said alot for a few pages, and I've only just seen it.

The Question said:

It makes sense if you hate Hawkman and want to see him portrayed as a pathetic stalker/loser, i guess.

Oh good God. That's not it. I don't hate Hawkman. Hell, I love the guy. Great character. But, that portrayal makes perfect sense. He's been in a stable relationship with the woman for over ten thousand years. Suddenly, she doesn't remember any of that, and isn't interested in him. What else would he do but go a little nuts?

The Question said:
It's because we're on the same ****ing message board. It's quite likely that I'm going to read one of your posts. And some of the time, it's in a thread where you've said alot for a few pages, and I've only just seen it.

We're on the same board??? Wow. I didn't know that. :up:
What's that got to do with logging into anything I write?? You could just as easily pass me up.

BUT YOU CAN'T HELP IT!! I'm your hero. Admit it.

celldog said:
We're on the same board??? Wow. I didn't know that. :up:
What's that got to do with logging into anything I write?? You could just as easily pass me up.

If you say something I feel the need to coment on, I coment on it. There are things that I just ignore completely.

celldog said:
BUT YOU CAN'T HELP IT!! I'm your hero. Admit it.

I hate you.

The Question said:
Oh good God. That's not it. I don't hate Hawkman. Hell, I love the guy. Great character. But, that portrayal makes perfect sense. He's been in a stable relationship with the woman for over ten thousand years. Suddenly, she doesn't remember any of that, and isn't interested in him. What else would he do but go a little nuts?

Yeah, but that's the comics. In the JLU episode, their relationship was never stable-she never loved him.

Yeah, she did. In past lives. In this one, she doesn't remember anything, and he's freaking out.

The Question said:
If you say something I feel the need to coment on, I coment on it. There are things that I just ignore completely.

That's pretty much "everything I've ever posted.

I hate you.

Suuuuuuuuure you do. :)

The Question said:
Yeah, she did. In past lives. In this one, she doesn't remember anything, and he's freaking out.

No, in the flashback sequence in the JLU episode she's with Khufu, but she really loves Stewart.

In the comics she loved him in past lives and doesn't remember anything in the present.

Kurosawa said:
No, in the flashback sequence in the JLU episode she's with Khufu, but she really loves Stewart.

Doesn't mean she doesn't love Khufu. Afairs tend to be alot more complicated than that. And why are we to assume that was their only life before the present. In the comics, they were reincarnated for milenia, serving as warriors and protectors in one form or another. For all we know, that is still the case, and they had a very stable relationship in those lives?

The Question said:
Doesn't mean she doesn't love Khufu. Afairs tend to be alot more complicated than that. And why are we to assume that was their only life before the present. In the comics, they were reincarnated for milenia, serving as warriors and protectors in one form or another. For all we know, that is still the case, and they had a very stable relationship in those lives?

Because they had Hawkman say they weren't meant to be together. Basically the entire point of the episode was to crap all over Hawkman as a character and the Hawk legend as a story. They interjected a third party (Stewart) into it and made his character completely superior to Hawkman/Khufu. Any Hawkman fan would be disgusted and insulted by the episode.

Overall, I liked the series. But I can't stand the Stewart/Hawkgirl relationship and I hated both Hawkman episodes. I know Hawkman isn't a big character, but he does have his fans, and I am one of them.

Hopefully if there's ever another JLA series or even better yet, a JSA show, Hawkman will get the attention and respect that he so richly deserves. Because the JLU show made him look like a complete loser and a stalker.

I have a feeling that people treat Hawkman with disrespect because he's a conservative. That's pretty unfair, IMO. You don't see that happening to Green Arrow because he's a liberal. I mean, I don't share Carter's politics either, but that doesn't keep me from thinking he's an awesome character.

Kurosawa said:
Because they had Hawkman say they weren't meant to be together.

I think that meant he was going to stop obsessing over her and giver her her space.

Kurosawa said:
Basically the entire point of the episode was to crap all over Hawkman as a character and the Hawk legend as a story. They interjected a third party (Stewart) into it and made his character completely superior to Hawkman/Khufu.

How did they make Stewart "superior?"

Kurosawa said:
Any Hawkman fan would be disgusted and insulted by the episode.

I'm a Hawkman fan, and I thought the episode was fine.

I think I'd rather see a JSA show anyway. Doubt that'd ever happen though. A JSA show where Hawkman was the leader and the bad-ash that he was meant to be-that'd be awesome.

The DCAU completely blew it with Hawkman. He deserves Batman type respect.

Dread said:
The guidelines for cable television, which has a smaller audience, is also looser than for network television, especially with cartoons that depict figures that children, presumably, watch. That was most of the reason why Timm's toons fled to CN after BATMAN BEYOND, to escape network demands that were "kiddie-obsessed".

Unfortunately, with the demise of JLU, more kid-centered cartoons, at least presuming that kids only like light, immature action fluff, are prevailing.

Actually, I think part of the reason they made the move was to keep the same audience. Think about it. Batman TAS (the original Timm toon) started about 10 years ago. Now it's still in the same continuity, but all the kids who watched it growing up are in their 20s now. As such, the subject matter got more mature to keep with the core audience. This is just speculation, though. I don't know for sure.

celldog said:
No loose ends were tied up. A big one was left dangling when John tells Shayera about their son. Now what??? Well we won't get to see that with the show gettin the axe. :mad:

A very adult themed show.....

1. adulterous affair
2. Vixen sleep over or shack-up
3. A couple of open-mouth kisses!! :eek:
4. A murder and a suicide!!

Even my 6-year old had some questions on this one.

i know, I was really suprised. That's as far as I've ever seen a Y7 cartoon go with a love scene.

Yeah-and the entire thing makes Hawkman look like a complete loser.

Too bad all that was wasted on a crap story.

DarkHelmet said:
Actually, I think part of the reason they made the move was to keep the same audience. Think about it. Batman TAS (the original Timm toon) started about 10 years ago. Now it's still in the same continuity, but all the kids who watched it growing up are in their 20s now. As such, the subject matter got more mature to keep with the core audience. This is just speculation, though. I don't know for sure.
Definately a very reasonable expectation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"