Andor General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

So might B2's memory and conscience get transferred into what becomes K2?
Or is he more just trying to replicate him?

Last edited:
Really out of the blue stuff, Sean Waltman aka X-Pac, is going to be on Harloff's YT channel next week talking about Andor. :funny:

Cassian treated K-2SO as just a tool. I can't imagine Cassian being so disdainful of a remnant of his childhood friend B2EMO, but I can see how the death of B2EMO would prevent Cassian from forming new emotional attachments to droids.

Cassian treated K-2SO as just a tool. I can't imagine Cassian being so disdainful of a remnant of his childhood friend B2EMO, but I can see how the death of B2EMO would prevent Cassian from forming new emotional attachments to droids.
LOL not really, the way I read it K2 was his only friend in the world. As he feared himself becoming a cold assassin losing his own humanity, he imbued what was once a cold mechanical killing machine, with more humanity than he himself had left.

Last edited:
Now, that all the episodes are out I really hope more people actually take the time to watch it and give it a fair chance if they didn't before because the payoff is absolutely worth it IMO, but it does take a little patience.

I can understand how the pacing might be an issue for some, but man are people missing out on this one and honestly between this and House of the Dragon Season 2 I don't know which I'm more excited for.

After more consideration, I'm thinking yeah, maybe. B2EMO and K-2SO speak with the same cadence, an Eeyore-like fatalistic sigh.

This show was just excellent from top to bottom. It was far better than it had any right to be. Truly. I don't know what I can add that hasn't been said about the superlative production value, performances, nuanced writing, fist-pumping moments of rising up against fascism, all of it. What really stands out to me about this show is it knows exactly what it wants to be, isn't trying to appeal to any particular "sect" of Star Wars fandom, and just delivered with consistency and confidence. I think this is a testament to what is possible within this universe when you have someone who isn't tethered by fan-goggles, with an original take who's willing to push Star Wars a bit outside its comfort zone but also without going too far. As someone who loved the prequels warts and all, I always enjoyed the political element of those films and thought that added a lot of depth and nuance to the saga. This show finally cranked up the dial on that and actually made it legitimately engaging and credible. I couldn't help but think..."boy, IF ONLY the politics in the prequels came off this well...". Makes me wish Mon Mothma had more of a role in the prequels, but it doesn't even matter because the stuff we're getting with her here is chef's kiss and she's finally getting her time to shine.

That said, one of my current frustrations with modern fandom is the rush to extremes and hyperbole. It's either the best or worst thing ever, etc. And let me clear, I have no problem if this someone's favorite piece of Star Wars content ever. That's awesome if you got that out of it and I will always be pro-people enjoying Star Wars. But to me, while objectively I can say that I think this is clearly the most adult and most mature Star Wars has ever been, I'm content to just celebrate it as its own special thing rather than propping it up above things like the OT. While I think Andor absolutely nails the "spy thriller in Star Wars" thing its going for, it also by definition can't encompass the whole picture of what makes Star Wars what it is in the way that the original films did. Maybe I'm just a stubborn traditionalist when it comes to SW but there's no way I'm ready to say that something without John Williams' score, without lightsabers, without The Force, etc., is "THE BEST STAR WARS EVER". For everything this show did extraordinarily well, personally it doesn't often spark the sense of childlike wonder that is the bread and butter of SW IMO. And that's OK, it doesn't have to. It does what it does extremely well and it was a breath of fresh air. I'm not saying I wanted this to have nostalgia-bait and cameos. It's perfect as it is. I just don't suspect that if what was released in 1977 was "Andor" instead of "Star Wars", we'd be sitting here in 2022 talking about it new content still being released in that universe. To me it feels like it just has a little too much in common with the type of darker sci-fi films that Star Wars was deliberately trying to contrast itself with at the time to fully embody the whole of what Star Wars is. And that is why I tend to always draw a line when it comes to putting newer Star Wars content over the OT. The OT is, was, and will always be in a class of its own, IMHO. It's like comparing a new wall color to the frame of a house to me.

With that out of the way though, again, Andor freaking ruled. Give it all the Emmys. Rogue One and Andor have added so much weight to the originals, especially A New Hope. Really looking forward to Season 2 and how this closes the loop with Rogue One.

This show was just excellent from top to bottom. It was far better than it had any right to be. Truly. I don't know what I can add that hasn't been said about the superlative production value, performances, nuanced writing, fist-pumping moments of rising up against fascism, all of it. What really stands out to me about this show is it knows exactly what it wants to be, isn't trying to appeal to any particular "sect" of Star Wars fandom, and just delivered with consistency and confidence. I think this is a testament to what is possible within this universe when you have someone who isn't tethered by fan-goggles, with an original take who's willing to push Star Wars a bit outside its comfort zone but also without going too far. As someone who loved the prequels warts and all, I always enjoyed the political element of those films and thought that added a lot of depth and nuance to the saga. This show finally cranked up the dial on that and actually made it legitimately engaging and credible. I couldn't help but think..."boy, IF ONLY the politics in the prequels came off this well...". Makes me wish Mon Mothma had more of a role in the prequels, but it doesn't even matter because the stuff we're getting with her here is chef's kiss and she's finally getting her time to shine.

That said, one of my current frustrations with modern fandom is the rush to extremes and hyperbole. It's either the best or worst thing ever, etc. And let me clear, I have no problem if this someone's favorite piece of Star Wars content ever. That's awesome if you got that out of it and I will always be pro-people enjoying Star Wars. But to me, while objectively I can say that I think this is clearly the most adult and most mature Star Wars has ever been, I'm content to just celebrate it as its own special thing rather than propping it up above things like the OT. While I think Andor absolutely nails the "spy thriller in Star Wars" thing its going for, it also by definition can't encompass the whole picture of what makes Star Wars what it is in the way that the original films did. Maybe I'm just a stubborn traditionalist when it comes to SW but there's no way I'm ready to say that something without John Williams' score, without lightsabers, without The Force, etc., is "THE BEST STAR WARS EVER". For everything this show did extraordinarily well, personally it doesn't often spark the sense of childlike wonder that is the bread and butter of SW IMO. And that's OK, it doesn't have to. It does what it does extremely well and it was a breath of fresh air. I'm not saying I wanted this to have nostalgia-bait and cameos. It's perfect as it is. I just don't suspect that if what was released in 1977 was "Andor" instead of "Star Wars", we'd be sitting here in 2022 talking about it new content still being released in that universe. To me it feels like it just has a little too much in common with the type of darker sci-fi films that Star Wars was deliberately trying to contrast itself with at the time to fully embody the whole of what Star Wars is. And that is why I tend to always draw a line when it comes to putting newer Star Wars content over the OT. The OT is, was, and will always be in a class of its own, IMHO. It's like comparing a new wall color to the frame of a house to me.

With that out of the way though, again, Andor freaking ruled. Give it all the Emmys. Rogue One and Andor have added so much weight to the originals, especially A New Hope. Really looking forward to Season 2 and how this closes the loop with Rogue One.

After the release of this series, I don’t expect everything to have the same tone as Andor, but I do expect every series released after this to have the same quality of writing, level of production and acting caliber, if not better than this had, and to be put to the same standard as this. Before, I gave a little leeway, because there wasn’t really anything on this level in Star Wars to measure it against. Now, there is absolutely no excuse. They really need to step up their game.

Lucasfilm, the ball’s in your court. We know you have the capability to do this now. Now do it.

Here’s hoping the Acolyte is as good as this, as the showrunner co-created Russian Doll, which I loved, the cast is amazing and the premise setting the show up as a mystery-thriller is intriguing

Last edited:
After the release of this series, I don’t expect everything to have the same tone as Andor, but I do expect every series released after this to have the same quality of writing, level of production and acting caliber, if not better than this had, and to be put to the same standard as this. Before, I gave a little leeway, because there wasn’t really anything on this level in Star Wars to measure it against. Now, there is absolutely no excuse. They really need to step up their game.

Lucasfilm, the ball’s in your court. We know you have the capability to do this now. Now do it.

See, I admire you setting your standards so high...but I just don't think know if it's realistic. I think Andor's quality was exceptional, and by definition it's going to be a bar that many other things will fall short of, especially when there's so much Star Wars content getting produced. I'd rather just celebrate it for what it is rather than setting myself up for disappointment when other things inevitably aren't able to live up to it.

I'm not saying we should excuse stuff that is blatantly subpar or not be critical (I think Obi-Wan had some glaring flaws that people were right to call out even though I enjoyed it overall), but I am saying that I think it's underselling Andor a bit to expect that this its excellence on all levels is something that can be regularly duplicated. As many have said, it wasn't just great for Star Wars standards, it was great for TV standards. For me, it'd be like expecting everything with Batman in it to be as great as TDK. It's a noble ideal, but in reality (IMO) it's a tough road to go down.

I'd love to be proven wrong here (I do have high hopes for The Acolyte), but I continue to be of the mindset that as long as Lucasfilm is going to be producing a variety of Star Wars projects from different creators, you're going to get a lot of varied stuff and there's no way all of it is going to appeal to every fan. Ahsoka is clearly going to be a Filoni passion project that likely appeals more to fans of TCW and lore junkies. And that's perfectly OK too IMO. There's room for that. Hopefully it's good on top of that.

Also...IMHO...I think some cheesy acting is a part of Star Wars' charm. You have to remember that the whole thing started as a riff on Flash Gordon, there is a level of goofiness/pulpiness that will always be at home in Star Wars. I think Mando, for whatever faults it may have, got closer to the spirit of the original tone with its acting even if its acting is nowhere near as good as what we got in Andor. I'm just saying there's room for both approaches.

I guess I'm just dreading all the discourse that happens when Mando Season 3 comes out, and it's another season of Mando...and not Andor. We're all free to pick and choose the Star Wars content we wish to consume at this point...you don't need to follow Andor to follow Mando or vice versa. They're all self-contained enough. It's also a built-in solution to dealing with the issue of oversaturation and getting Star Wars'd out, we can just watch the stuff we like rather than get soured and cynical on the franchise by choosing to sit through stuff that we're not enjoying.

A few years ago, I never thought I’d say this but I’m way more excited for stuff like Andor S2 and Acolyte over Mandalorian S3 or Ahsoka, both of which I’m still looking forward to.

Funny how no one was really looking forward to Andor when it was announced, and the reactions have changed.

See, I admire you setting your standards so high...but I just don't think know if it's realistic. I think Andor's quality was exceptional, and by definition it's going to be a bar that many other things will fall short of, especially when there's so much Star Wars content getting produced. I'd rather just celebrate it for what it is rather than setting myself up for disappointment when other things inevitably aren't able to live up to it.

I'm not saying we should excuse stuff that is blatantly subpar or not be critical (I think Obi-Wan had some glaring flaws that people were right to call out even though I enjoyed it overall), but I am saying that I think it's underselling Andor a bit to expect that this its excellence on all levels is something that can be regularly duplicated. As many have said, it wasn't just great for Star Wars standards, it was great for TV standards. For me, it'd be like expecting everything with Batman in it to be as great as TDK. It's a noble ideal, but in reality (IMO) it's a tough road to go down.

I'd love to be proven wrong here (I do have high hopes for The Acolyte), but I continue to be of the mindset that as long as Lucasfilm is going to be producing a variety of Star Wars projects from different creators, you're going to get a lot of varied stuff and there's no way all of it is going to appeal to every fan. Ahsoka is clearly going to be a Filoni passion project that likely appeals more to fans of TCW and lore junkies. And that's perfectly OK too IMO. There's room for that. Hopefully it's good on top of that.

Also...IMHO...I think some cheesy acting is a part of Star Wars' charm. You have to remember that the whole thing started as a riff on Flash Gordon, there is a level of goofiness/pulpiness that will always be at home in Star Wars. I think Mando, for whatever faults it may have, got closer to the spirit of the original tone with its acting even if its acting is nowhere near as good as what we got in Andor. I'm just saying there's room for both approaches.

I guess I'm just dreading all the discourse that happens when Mando Season 3 comes out, and it's another season of Mando...and not Andor. We're all free to pick and choose the Star Wars content we wish to consume at this point...you don't need to follow Andor to follow Mando or vice versa. They're all self-contained enough. It's also a built-in solution to dealing with the issue of oversaturation and getting Star Wars'd out, we can just watch the stuff we like rather than get soured and cynical on the franchise by choosing to sit through stuff that we're not enjoying.

Oh, yeah, I’m not saying that everything has to be at the same level or quality as Andor. I’m not expecting absolute prestige television every single time. I actually don’t mind stuff like Obi-Wan Kenobi and The Mandalorian, but I don’t want every single thing to be like that, just like I don’t expect every single thing to be like this. I’m just saying that any future series going forward should put themselves to a higher standard to produce the best product that they can make, and not just settle on their laurels, just because it’s Star Wars and appeals to a general audience that includes young children. That’s all I’m saying.

On another note, with this being as successful as it is, I would really like to see other outside, high-end talent from all over the world come in to do their own take on this universe. Just imagine someone like Bong Joon-Ho, the director of ‘Train to Busan’ or any Korean director making a movie/series of this caliber. It was almost unthinkable before this, now I am almost wondering and sort of see what that could look like. It really opens so many possibilities.

Oh, yeah, I’m not saying that everything has to be at the same level or quality as Andor. I’m not expecting absolute prestige television every single time. I actually don’t mind stuff like Obi-Wan Kenobi and The Mandalorian, but I don’t want every single thing to be like that, just like I don’t expect every single thing to be like this. I’m just saying that any future series going forward should put themselves to a higher standard to produce the best product that they can make, and not just settle on their laurels, just because it’s Star Wars and appeals to a general audience that includes young children. That’s all I’m saying.

On another note, with this being as successful as it is, I would really like to see other outside, high-end talent from all over the world come in to do their own take on this universe. Just imagine someone like Bong Joon-Ho, the director of ‘Train to Busan’ or any Korean director making a movie/series of this caliber. It was almost unthinkable before this, now I am almost wondering and sort of see what that could look like. It really opens so many possibilities.

Fully agreed, it definitely expands the net of what could be possible in Star Wars and that's exciting for sure. And yes, if this could inspire all Star Wars creators to step up their game that would definitely be a best case scenario.

I hope with the success of Andor, they decide to revisit that idea. We’ve never really seen the power dynamics of the Rebellion and the Empire flipped before in Star Wars media yet (Battlefront II is the closest we’ve come to that), so it would be nice to get the perspective of each. What do people who were on the side of the most oppressive force in the galaxy do when the tables are flipped and they are the ones being chased/hunted and at the other end of a blaster barrel? Do they give up their old ways and join the Rebellion, or do they double down even more on trying to preserve/maintain the tyranny established by the Emperor? Would be really engaging and interesting to watch. Could get a really solid 2-3 seasons out of that.

I hope with the success of Andor, they decide to revisit that idea. We’ve never really seen the power dynamics of the Rebellion and the Empire flipped before in Star Wars media yet (Battlefront II is the closest we’ve come to that), so it would be nice to get the perspective of each. What do people who were on the side of the most oppressive force in the galaxy do when the tables are flipped and they are the ones being chased/hunted and at the other end of a blaster barrel? Do they give up their old ways and join the Rebellion, or do they double down even more on trying to preserve/maintain the tyranny established by the Emperor? Would be really engaging and interesting to watch. Could get a really solid 2-3 seasons out of that.

Could still happen, I remember reading an article where Gilroy pitched Disney how they should do a show about Andor only for them to go in a different direction before approaching Gilroy again!

https://www.jedinews.com/film-music...reveals-his-initial-pitch-was-rejected/?amp=1

I was watching some stuff on youtube about the series.....I can't believe that I missed -
that the stuff they were assembling in the prison were the things the droids were putting on the Deathstar after the end credits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"