World Andrew Garfield wants Spider-Man to be Gay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not against a gay Spidey or a different ethnicity of Spidey but I'm not to sure how I feel about a male MJ, don't like the thought of it but I know it's not happening. I also find the timing of this weird, maybe this is just hype for Comic-Con? This news is getting a lot of attention everywhere now.

Everyone all over the internet is freaking out over this. I remember reading this earlier today hoping that it wouldn't make its way on the SHH. I know it is going to get worse from this point. A lot of headlines are now even reporting that Garfield WANTS Mary Jane to be male.

This fact needs to be established already: He. Was. Only. Joking.

In this world, there exists this thing called a joke. A joke is, by definition, a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter. Jokes derive from a very important element of human nature known as "humor". "Humor" is defined as the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech. The context in which Andrew Garfield has said the particular statement made is a context that is clearly meant to be humorous. Because the particular statement is meant to be humorous, the statement is an example of a "joke". Therefore, what Andrew Garfield said was a joke and should not be taken seriously. Taking any statement meant to be a joke as a legitimate serious statement is objectively ******ed.

What Andrew Garfield did is not just humor. It is humor mixed with a defense for gay rights. Basically, he made a joke that is both funny but supports gay teens at the same time. But of course that we all have to freak out and assume that he is being serious, including the media which is now reporting that Andrew Garfield seriously wants Michael B. Jordan as a gay black male version of MJ in a Spider-Man film. Had this been Christian Bale from the highly successful Dark Knight Trilogy or Robert Downey Jr. from the highly successful Iron Man and Avengers films, there would be no problem. Heck, if this was Tobey Maguire from the previous Spider-Man franchise who made this joke, that would also not be a problem. We would praise them for their ability of sending messages across through their great humor. However, we have to freak out and take Andrew Garfield's statement seriously because we need to find as many reasons as possible to not like this new Spider-Man franchise.

That is essentially why we are doing this. We have to constantly remember that this reboot is the worst thing to have ever happened to Spider-Man and is an abomination in a way that no comic book movie is. So we are going to do everything in our power to find flaws and things to point fingers to.

This is why we immediately jumped to the conclusion that the upcoming film would suck when Electro was announced. Because Electro is a very lame villain, despite him having an iconic comic book arc, being one of the most dangerous foes on Spider-Man's rogues gallery and the fact that we all talked about what a great villain he would be for a Spider-Man film one day prior to him being announced as the main villain of this film. It is also why we jumped to the conclusion that Paul Giamatti would not play the Rhino at all but would just be a mob boss/criminal nicknamed the Rhino. We knew this by seeing the set photos and because he wasn't wearing the Rhino suit in those particular photos, that automatically meant that he wouldn't be the Rhino we know.

We also have to analyze to death every single picture that is teased on Twitter by Webb. From those pictures, we can easily come to the conclusion that Venom will appear in the film and not only that but that Harry Osborn will be Venom. Of course that we have nothing to base this on. Just on the fact that there was a picture teased a while back with Harry/DeHaan and a locker number. Of course that that conclusion was based on nothing so we had to make up the fact that the number on the locker was the same number on Eddie Brock's locker found in Ultimate Spider-Man despite his locker having no number on it in the comic. Also, we can conclude from the pictures and information released that this upcoming film will have approximately 20 villains that have already been hinted and/or announced with possibly more villains to be announced in the next few weeks. Even though they're just hinting at potential villains for sequels or just briefly doing a cameo for some of the alter ego's of these villains, which is what every comic book movie does these days including the "holy grail" that is the MCU, we are just going to assume that this means the film will be packed with tons of villains because although other directors may be doing the same thing to set up for future films, it is clearly obvious that Webb is doing this because he is an idiot. The fact that he posted all those pictures on Twitter that completely spoiled the movie is an even bigger piece of evidence that he is nothing but a complete idiot. He is so stupid that he intentionally and directly spoiled his entire film.

There is more though. We also have to harass Shailene Woodley and send the production crew messages about how she is literally the ugliest thing ever and looks like Channing Tatum just because we can't produce an orgasm from seeing her (with zero manual strokes required) with no makeup from far away on a cold day in February in a low-quality paparazzi photo. We will also conveniently ignore every other picture of her that was released since then. Also the fact that they cast Jamie Foxx as Electro is evidence right there that Electro will not only be corny but will be poorly acted. Our evidence that Jamie Foxx will do a bad job is the comedy show In Living Color which was made in the early 1990's. We conveniently decided to ignore all the great serious performances he had in between 1994 and 2012. We'll just decide to ignore Ray, Miami Vice, The Kingdom, The Soloist, Law Abiding Citizen, and Django Unchained. We have to ignore them or otherwise, we would be proven wrong.

Recently, a few set photos were released showing Andrew Garfield in his suit next to a little kid dressed as Spider-Man. Of course that that automatically means that Spider-Man will have a sidekick who will fight crime with him. Yet another reason as to why this movie will suck so much. And now we have the star of this reboot himself coming out and saying that he wants MJ to be a gay black male. Sure that it was only a joke and we probably would have understood that if Christian Bale or Downey said this but because we need to bring Andrew Garfield and this franchise down, we have to take everything out of context and spread BS whenever the opportunity to do so arises.

Oh, and did I mention just how much this new Spider-Man franchise sucks? No seriously it sucks so much and everybody hates it. Everybody hates it because we said so despite there being no evidence and despite most reports being that the general audience generally liked the first film overall. But we know that everyone hated it and the all the evidence and points we brought up in this post speaks for itself.

Also, Andrew Garfield sucks and the upcoming film will be crap. Just had to mention it again in case I haven't.
You sir deserve a prize I agree with you 100 percent you make great points and I wish this could be right in those idiot's faces

andrew is supporting it gets better which helps gay teens

http://www.itgetsbetter.org/pages/about-it-gets-better-project/

c1u8ahX.jpg

tumblr_mpqj6bLSp31rq90lbo1_400.png

obviously saying it would be ok if peter was gay and joking about MJ being a guy, but its not gonna happen, infact i'm confident andrew knows that wouldn't ever happen, it just seems to be online readers who believe it and are making a fuss

Last edited:
It's not this board. This board has been really cool about it and we all realize this would never happen - it's the MSM and the other Comic Book related sites/forums that are having meltdowns over this. The homophobic comments are getting out of hand in some places, it's really sad

Everyone here is reacting pretty reasonably. I was speaking generally.

He was half joking. He was really just supporting gay teens.

Personally I think this is a nice interpretation.

Also, I don't think this needs to be picked apart and argued over. Garfield expressed a view (jokingly or not) and he should be entitled to his own views. All I see this argument heading towards is some people trying to argue he is emphatically wrong and others arguing he is right. It's not going to end well and there will probably wind up with a few posters saying some disgusting things to each other. Lets just let it be for once.

Gonna be interesting to see how people react via the box office. As small as this may actually be, the fact that Spider-Man and gay were uttered by the actor portraying him will gain some traction. There are a ton of fans or parents or whatever out there that we will see or read this and have an issue. Personally I do not agree with homosexuality but I have no problem with them as individuals, just something I don't agree with. These are my beliefs and we are all entitled to them whether we agree or not but out there, there will be people who see this on E.T. or somewhere else and turn into a ***** storm and not take their kids or whatever. If it affects the bottom line then I wouldn't be surprised is Sony had a stern talking to with Andrew.

in no way shape or form should this thread even exist in my opinion

Yes, but he even said he was not joking. :ninja:

It was a philosophical question, not a serious idea. He's not joking, in regards to questioning why there's no universe with a gay Spider-Man in fiction. Basically, he sees no problem with having a gay Spider-Man a Spider-Man comic that doesn't take place in the mainstream 616 universe. That's not that crazy of a thing. A lot of superheroes are already gay in alternate universes in the comics. They even have a gay Wolverine in one.

What he's not serious about? That they do it in this franchise. The whole "even better, gay AND Biracial" comment even emphasized that.

Last edited:
Im goin stay at the hype the internet has officially and completely lost their minds.

Gonna be interesting to see how people react via the box office. As small as this may actually be, the fact that Spider-Man and gay were uttered by the actor portraying him will gain some traction. There are a ton of fans or parents or whatever out there that we will see or read this and have an issue. Personally I do not agree with homosexuality but I have no problem with them as individuals, just something I don't agree with. These are my beliefs and we are all entitled to them whether we agree or not but out there, there will be people who see this on E.T. or somewhere else and turn into a ***** storm and not take their kids or whatever. If it affects the bottom line then I wouldn't be surprised is Sony had a stern talking to with Andrew.

If people boycott this at all because it was just mentioned? Then they haven't learned a single thing from comic books, most notably haven't learned anything from The X-Men. Superheroes teach us to be accepting of everyone, to see everyone as equal, and to fight for 'mutants' (minorities) everywhere. And I will say that it is sad to me that the message in a lot of these comic books, and especially in The X-Men, hasn't hit home for some.

Last edited:
If they do this try it in the comics first not a film. And IMHO, I don't think it's okay that Spidey would be gay. I'm not a homophobe or anything, it's just that making him gay is totally changing the character. Electro being played by an African American is fine, but Spider-Man is the MAIN character. If you want to make Spider-Man gay, then you should just make a new guy take on the Spidey suit (like not Peter Parker, like Miles or Ben Riley). If you make Peter gay, your totally changing the character and if you make MJ a male, your changing the character. Just make new characters. Race is different from gender and gender is a big deal.

If they do this try it in the comics first not a film. And IMHO, I don't think it's okay that Spidey would be gay. I'm not a homophobe or anything, it's just that making him gay is totally changing the character. Electro being played by an African American is fine, but Spider-Man is the MAIN character. If you want to make Spider-Man gay, then you should just make a new guy take on the Spidey suit (like not Peter Parker, like Miles or Ben Riley). If you make Peter gay, your totally changing the character and if you make MJ a male, your changing the character. Just make new characters. Race is different from gender and gender is a big deal.

They're not trying it in film. It was just a joke. And even if Andrew Garfield was serious (which he wasn't), there is no way in hell that Webb and Sony would allow it. The last thing Sony would want is to deal with a bunch of crap from right wing extremists at this point.

this thread should cease to exist

I agree, but this isn't anything you can't expect. People make a big deal about sexuality (actually recently I argued with my mom about gay rights. She is against it, and personally I'm against homosexuality, but I don't think it should be our business about what another person's sexuality is and I'm don't have anything against gay people). I'm not upset with Andrew, but I just hope this doesn't hurt the franchise's reputation or TASM2's box office revenue. I hope Sony doesn't get rid of Andrew and frick up TASM series because I can really see this as being a really successful Spidey film series. I don't want it to get messed up with a bunch of new actors.

They're not trying it in film. It was just a joke. And even if Andrew Garfield was serious (which he wasn't), there is no way in hell that Webb and Sony would allow it. The last thing Sony would want is to deal with a bunch of crap from right wing extremists at this point.

I said "IF they do this" I know they aren't trying it. I know he was joking. You don't need to restate what you've already said in your other posts.

I'm not upset with Andrew, but I just hope this doesn't hurt the franchise's reputation or TASM2's box office revenue. I hope Sony doesn't get rid of Andrew and frick up TASM series because I can really see this as being a really successful Spidey film series.

I highly doubt Andrew is going to lose his job over this. It's not like he made racist or homophobic comments, actually quite the opposite. Sony hit the jackpot with Andrew, they couldn't have found a better Spidey & an amazing role model for the kids.

andrew might not have been serious about actually making peter gay or bi, but it's so important that he said it, and that he said he was joking but kinda wasn't. LGBT people have NO positive representation in the media and it'd be nice for them to see themselves be the hero once in awhile instead of being the butt of the joke. andrew was raising a question: why can't a hero be gay? just because he's not canonically gay? a lot of things aren't canon, and canon itself isn't consistent, things get retconned, so why not? why is it a big deal?

i'm very happy he said that.

I highly doubt Andrew is going to lose his job over this. It's not like he made racist or homophobic comments, actually quite the opposite. Sony hit the jackpot with Andrew, they couldn't have found a better Spidey & an amazing role model for the kids.

I hope he doesn't lose his job, because I agree with you. Andrew IS Spider-Man!
But I hope Sony doesn't put $$$ first and say "this guy is costing us bucks, kick him out".
The public is already making a huge deal over it, and sensitive people may not see the movie because of it. Andrew seems really cool, but he might have gotten himself into a bad situation.

sony supports "it gets better", and amy pascal, head of sony, is super into those causes. they'll probably give him a raise for saying that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"