Andy Serkis to Direct 'Mowgli' For WB

Basically they're saying they couldn't compete with Disney and don't want to be compared to the previous movie.

Too bad. I'm sure this would've looked gorgeous on the big screen. At home won't have the same impact for any large scale film such as this.

Ooooh, it looks like someone got cold feet. Not surprised, though, that trailer was... it was simply not that good.

Well people are always going on about how Netflix is the future and theaters are going the way of the dodo.

:o

CZl3rnc.gif

Can't say I expected that one. It makes one wonder if Disney and Netflix might have similar discussions about Dark Phoenix, which I always thought for sure would end up in theaters.

I know for fact there were test screenings a year ago and I'm pretty confident this movie is not good. Sad. I was rooting for Serkis.

I'm sorry... Are we supposed to dislike Andy now or something? I don't get the seeming glee this decision is causing? Am I missibg something? The trailer was neither incredible nor was it a trainwreck.

I think we still like Serkis. At least I do.

I'm sorry... Are we supposed to dislike Andy now or something? I don't get the seeming glee this decision is causing? Am I missibg something? The trailer was neither incredible nor was it a trainwreck.
I love Andy Serkis. That doesn't mean this doesn't look like the DCEU met Jackson's Kong take for the Jungle Book. With really bad looking CGI creations imo. They started filming this in March 2015. It doesn't come out until some unspecified date in 2019. I don't really think its that hard to realize where this is headed. Especially considering how much this probably cost WB.

I mean come on:

https://deadline.com/2018/07/netfli...te-blanchett-benedict-cumberbatch-1202434903/

“I’m really excited about Netflix for Mowgli,” Serkis said. “Now, we avoid comparisons to the other movie and it’s a relief not to have the pressure. I’ve seen the 3D version, and it’s exceptional, a different view from the 2D version, really lush and with great depth, and there will be some kind of theatrical component for that. What excites me most is the forward thinking at Netflix in how to present this, and the message of the movie. They understand this is a darker telling that doesn’t fit it into a four quadrant slot. It’s really not meant for young kids, though I think it’s possible that 10 or above can watch it. It was always meant to be PG-13, and this allows us to go deeper, with darker themes, to be scary and frightening in moments. The violence between animals is not gratuitous, but it’s definitely there. This way of going allows us to get the film out without compromise.

Who said anything about disliking Serkis?

That trailer made me uninterested in the film and insured I'd never pay to see it in theaters. Now I'll be able to catch it the day it's released. So... they got me, I guess. I'll probably tune in.

Tell you what. I wasn't going to watch it. Now I am. That's enough reason for me to approve of this move.

I don't think anyone is rooting against Andy Serkis. I just think his "Yay Netflix!" statement came out as a little fake as this was clearly meant for a theatrical big screen 3D release.

Then again, what's he gonna say? "DAMN IT!"

I don't think anyone is rooting against Andy Serkis. I just think his "Yay Netflix!" statement came out as a little fake as this was clearly meant for a theatrical big screen 3D release.

Then again, what's he gonna say? "DAMN IT!"

You know he was pissed. I feel for the guy, he spent years of his life working on this.

He could act like Josh Trank, I suppose. But he probably would rather keep working.

Andy being gentleman isn't a shock and also a smart move. Andy seems really grateful for his chance in Hollywood in general, so no reason to think it isn't genuine, even if he is clearly disappointed.

Isn't this like his directorial debut? Netflix seems like a safer bet for the sake of his career. If it's great, he'll be lauded. If it sucks, it'll just get buried underneath all the other trash on Netflix. A low profile success is better than a high profile failure.

I'll be surprised if he was able to salvage the film, but stranger things have happened.

Nah, he directed Breathe last year and it was not great.

I love Andy Serkis. That doesn't mean this doesn't look like the DCEU met Jackson's Kong take for the Jungle Book.

Bit of an odd comment to make considering that this movie looks to be sticking much closer to the darker tone of the original source material than either of the Disney versions did.

Anyway, I feel really bad for Serkis who has clearly put so much of his life into making this movie, but I can't say I'm really surprised. The trailer made me nervous because it didn't look great, but I'm still looking forward to checking it out on Netflix next year.

Yall gotta stop acting like releasing a film on a streaming service is the equivilant of putting a movie on a B movie shelf at a video store. These days most indie films are released on streaming services at the same time as the limited theatrical release. Studios know that streaming is a viable release option these days and it's going to happen more and more with larger films every year, because streaming is growing every year and home theaters are at this point 4K and HDR capable which puts them ahead of most theater projectors in terms of quality. Even Dolby Atmos is now available for home theaters.

And Netflix is massive service with a massive user base. The film will probably be watched by more people now that they dont have to drive to a theater, stand in line, pay for a ticket, and spend an arm and a leg on concessions.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Mowgli won't have a better chance on Netflix or that Netflix is even a terrible place to release a film. I think it's just the notion that this movie might not be strong enough turn a profit theatrically that people are mulling over. It may not even be that it's bad at this point, but just bloated budget-wise.

We'll see. I'm still holding out hope that Serkis was able to turn this into something worthwhile.

Yall gotta stop acting like releasing a film on a streaming service is the equivilant of putting a movie on a B movie shelf at a video store. These days most indie films are released on streaming services at the same time as the limited theatrical release. Studios know that streaming is a viable release option these days and it's going to happen more and more with larger films every year, because streaming is growing every year and home theaters are at this point 4K and HDR capable which puts them ahead of most theater projectors in terms of quality. Even Dolby Atmos is now available for home theaters.

And Netflix is massive service with a massive user base. The film will probably be watched by more people now that they dont have to drive to a theater, stand in line, pay for a ticket, and spend an arm and a leg on concessions.
What big budget movies originally set for a theatrical release get switched to streaming services for release? The closest one I can think of was Annihilation, but it still came out theatrically first, and was of course not PG-13 material.

If WB thought they could make money for this with a theater release, would they be doing this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"