1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

Voting is now over! Stay tuned for the awards ceremony!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

Angelina Jolie is Thena

Discussion in 'Eternals' started by Speed Force, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Silvermoth Krakoan native

She was an absolute queen. I hope she continues to cameo in future marvel flicks

CB Fan and Holy Slapper like this.
  2. RiXi Registered

She did great, never doubt of her talent.

But honestly? I felt she was miscast. She was a secondary, which felt so weird cause she's the biggest name of the cast (besides Salma).
    They could've had a lesser known actress in the role and it could've worked as well. Hopefully she plays a bigger role in the inevitable sequel.

3. Deck Rickard #HeadlessSuperman

Yeah it was a bit odd that she was mostly sidelined in the film (even during many of the fight scenes). It felt like they were building toward something more with her but… they really didn’t. Kind of strange.

4. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

That's not strange... It's a poorly conceived of character with a poorly conceived and constructed arc in a movie that was too bloated by half and yet never gave any character or relationship actual time to engage or grab you.

It's many things but a mystery it's not.

5. Shuri Smartest person in the MCU.

Loved Jolie in this. I hope they make her the lead in the sequel.

Mysteryman, CB Fan and Holy Slapper like this.
  6. Holy Slapper Registered

I've never felt more like saying "Yass, Queen!" than during the fight with Kro. :funny: Finns don't usually get excited at a movie theaters (The Avengers being the aberration), but I heard some quiet squeels and gasps from the females sitting near me after that scene. She was absolutely glorious. I felt the character could've used more scenes to expand the background and that one scene from the trailers wasn't in the movie.

Shuri likes this.
  7. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Angelina can do no wrong, sadly she didnt get to do much in this film. As she is this films WW, I was really hoping that she'd get some EPIC fight scenes but they were just ok.

TheVileOne likes this.
  8. RockSP MYTH SMITH ˆž∞!!!

Have zero issue with her not being the lead. Nothing wrong with her playing a supporting role.

Holy Slapper likes this.
  9. samsnee Ok

Every time she was on screen, it was weird she was just a supporting character. She really outshone the role.

10. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    I'm pretty sure there's a shot from the trailer that wasn't seen in the final cut. I was looking forward to it.

I hope she gets a bigger role in the second film. I'm not surprised but still surprised that she got less importance, like less way importance than Ikaris and Sersi, mostly because they hired such a big actress for the role. I feel like Phastos was even more useful in the story.

11. CB Fan The Watcher

Well marvel has hired big names and gave them little to do or one off roles before (Redford, Swinton, Benning). I honestly thought she was gonna be killed. But seeing the movie and the promotional posters and such I think they’re playing the long game with Thena and her role will get bigger/more important each appearance.

And I wanna see that shot from the trailers too hopefully they put it in deleted scenes.

12. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    But those actors you mentioned were obviously hired for secondary or villain role - not necessarily a leading superhero.

I feel like they were trying to do something with her story arc, but it wasn't fully realized and she ended being obviously sidelined by Sersi and Ikaris. I have to rewatch the movie as I feel like I have missed something from her.

13. thalidomide The Enemy

My wife said she isn't used to seeing Jolie as a secondary character. She only has a few lines and screen time.