Aniara

I watched this movie last night on FandangoNow. It wasn't bad and is a thinking person's film regarding space exploration.

Interstingly enough, this movie is an adaptation deriving from a poem written in the 1950's.

Aniara - Wikipedia:
Date and Title:
...science fiction poem written by Swedish Nobel laureate Harry Martinson in 1956. It was published on 13 October 1956. The title comes from ancient Greek ἀνιαρός, "sad, despairing", plus special resonances that the sound "a" had for Martinson

General Thematic Significance and Inspiration:
Aniara is an effort to "[mediate] between science and poetry, between the wish to understand and the difficulty to comprehend". Martinson translates scientific imagery into the poem: for example, the "curved space" from Einstein's General Theory of Relativity" is likely an inspiration for Martinson's description of the cosmos as "a bowl of glass". Martinson also said he was influenced by Paul Dirac

Content:
The poem consists of 103 cantos and relates the tragedy of a spacecraft (4,750 m (15,580 ft) long and 891 m (2,923 ft) wide)[5], originally bound for Mars with a cargo of colonists from the ravaged Earth. After an accident, the ship is ejected from the Solar System and into an existential struggle...

Translation:
Aniara was translated into English as Aniara, A Review of Man in Time and Space by Hugh MacDiarmid and E. Harley Schubert[6] in 1956. It was translated again into English by Stephen Klass and Leif Sjöberg for a 1999 edition. The book is not currently in print.

Film Adaptation:
A Swedish feature film by directors Pella Kågerman and Hugo Lilja, starring Emelie Jonsson, was released in 2018, premiering at the Toronto International Film Festival.

MV5BMjUzMzk4NDMzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjE5NDY1NzM@._V1_.jpg

TIFF Teaser:
Official Trailer:

The production values put into the film seem pretty good. I think this sort of story would play out well in a TV show even better but the film works well to present what it needs to. It really captures the travails of space travel in comparison to what it means to be human in a journey that mankind perhaps will attempt to take eventually.

Last edited:
Musical Adaptations:Aniara - Wikipedia
An opera by Karl-Birger Blomdahl also called Aniara premiered in 1959 with a libretto by Erik Lindegren based on Martinson's poem; it was staged in Stockholm, Hamburg, Brussels and Darmstadt, and later in Gothenburg and Malmö.[7]

Swedish musician Kleerup released an album based on Aniara in 2012.

A melding of Aniara and Beethoven's opera Fidelio was staged by the Opéra de Lyon under the direction of American artist Gary Hill in 2013.[8]

The fourth album from the Swedish progressive metal band Seventh Wonder called The Great Escape is based on Aniara, the title track last 30:21 minutes and relates all the poem from beginning to end.

Interestingly enough, not mentioned on the wikipedia page pertaining to adaptations was a graphic novel done in 2015 by Knut Larsson:
Aniara (Knut Larsson) – AltCom 2018 HOW TO SURVIVE A DICTATORSHIP

aniara-omslag-12.jpg

I saw Aniara on FandangoNow; it's about 4.99 to rent an HD version giving 48 hours to finish after start it otherwise 6.99 to buy an HD version here.

I like this poster from Magnolia Pictures haven't seen before:
ANIARA_R01_12.jpg

Anyway, I was looking for something similar to this movie on an SVOD service and also saw a newer TV series "Nightflyers" on Netflix. I'm not sure it'll have the same feel of Aniara but true space scifi films are hard to come across so hopefully it'll hold up.

Last edited:
Aniara was a good artsy movie but scratch the Nightflyers show as that wasn't that good. I just realized Nightflyers was the George R.R. Martin show I heard about years ago. It just didn't compare unfortunately.

Anyway, trying to watch The Rain right now on Netflix instead that's sort of dystopian but not space faring. Anyone have any recommendations feel free to share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"