Animated Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen Two-Parter coming 2018/2019

They stick with the New 52 continuity with Superman and Wonder Woman broken up but still good friends and he's dating Lois now. It was all handled pretty well. The battle with Doomsday and the League was well done as well as Superman's battle with Doomsday. As far as Doomsday goes he is like the comics Doomsday mix with Snyder's (meaning each time he gets damaged his spikes grow). They also had Superman moving much like Cavil. The Flash and Green Lantern switched roles in this movie where the Flash was doing all the jokes and GL was more serious. The only thing I didn't like was Lex and the voice acting for Lois when Superman was dying other than that it was probably one of their best movies.

Sounds great!

When you say Lex, do you mean his role, or Rainn Wilson being miscast? I always thought he was a weird choice, as much as I love him.

:up:

Looking forward to seeing this. I like to think DC animated are finding their feet again after some rocky entries. Of their more recent stuff I really enjoyed Teen Titans: The Judas Contract, Justice League Dark, Batman: Gotham by Gaslight and Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay.

This movie is more on par with The Dark Knight strikes or the Superman/Batman movies. One thing I do love though is that even though Superman and Wonder Woman are broken up you can still tell there's love there even though they're only friends. Also love all the after credit teases.

The only thing I don't think we'll get is Pa Kent/Superman afterlife thing.

Yeah it's ok. Of course the fight is really good. I dont know if it's better than the one in Superman: Doomsday, I'll have to rewatch it.

Vocal performances are pretty good. O Connell is alright as Supes Wilson is pretty miscast as Lex.

It kinda takes a bit to get going, they could've shaved like 10-15 mins off.
Also there were some corny movies

In short, it's alright

Is Lex supposed to have the intellect of a 5 year old kid in this universe?

I really liked it. Solid 8/10. One of the better DC Animation entries, and the best Superman one for sure. Would recommend.

Yes it is because I am going to buy it anyways.

Yeah, but when you advertise it, not many people will then go out and purchase it. This DTV line needs the support and the recent SUPERMAN titles have been poor sellers.

I am so surprised this got leaked, and two months before the physical release.

How?

I mean we've seen X-Men Origins and Halloween 2007 get leaked, but that was the last decade, and haven't heard that today's time.

I hope it doesn't hurt the sales. I will be buying this.

How?

I mean we've seen X-Men Origins and Halloween 2007 get leaked, but that was the last decade, and haven't heard that today's time.

Expendables III got leaked this decade.
Don't know how it leaked this early probably wont affect sales much in this case. It has that built in fanbase that was going to buy it already

How?

It got leaked because iTunes put it up early by accident and took it down too late.

WB/DC should consider moving up the release date.

Death of Superman

- I really liked that they incorporated the Hank Henshaw arc into the film. Rather than the comic where he just turns up, here we see how it all starts.
- I also loved how they made Lex look like Lex Jr as his way of been out in the streets in secret.
- I also loved the way they incorporated the Justice League into this film, it felt natural that they were there.
- Clark revealing he was Superman to Lois was a wonderful scene. I loved when he said to Lois “I’m a guy form a small town just trying to make a difference”, cause that’s bang on to how Superman thinks.
- Shirt rip!!!!
- Doomsday ****ed the league up big time!
- The moment when Superman arrives! My god!
- Superman vs Doomsday is incredible.
- The way Superman killed Doomsday here was much better than the comics and Superman Doomsday.
- The scene with the Kent’s at the funeral broke me.
- The Bibbo scene wasn’t quite as good as the comics but it was still very emotional.
- What an ending?!
- 4 credits scenes?! Wow! I gasped at them all haha

Dislikes

- Lois dating Clark but not knowing he’s Superman makes her look like an idiot. But it made for a great moment later...

Animation

Even though I’m not a fan of the New 52 inspired designs the animation is stellar. Regarding Superman’s design I’ve always loved the \S\ in the back of Superman’s cape. I wasn’t that keen on how Doomsday looked tbh I think he looked better in Superman Doomsday.

References

- I noticed the outside of the Daily Planet looked like Superman Returns.
- The Kents talking about Clark’s past with Pete Ross and Lori Lemaris.
- Having Superman reveal to Lois that he’s Superman in the film the Death of Superman is surely no coincidence as it’s very similar to what they were going to do in Tim Burton’s Superman Lives.
- There were many parallels to the fight in Batman v Superman, the way Superman came at Doomsday with heat vision. The way Doomsday sort of emitted energy as he “hulked up” for lack of a better term and the way Doomsday emitted his own heat vision.
- “You’ve got me, but whose got you” - I liked the way they reused that dialogue from Superman the Movie but reversed it so this time it was Superman saying it to Lois.

Main Voice Cast

Jerry O’Connell was great as Superman, I kept thinking this is how Superman should sound. I actually thought he sounded even better as Clark Kent, he seemed to excel as Clark more so than Superman. After hearing lots of bad things I really liked Rebecca Romijn as Lois, she reminded me of Margot Kidder. Rainn Wilson as Lex, I don’t get why people weren’t keen, I thought he sounded awesome.

I recognised Cress Williams as John Henry Irons instantly and right away I think what great casting that is. Can’t wait to see him suit up as Steel in the sequel.

Jason O’Mara continues to seriously underwhelm as Batman. I still think he’s miscast. The rest of the League were good.

Summary

This just might be the best DC Animated film of them all. It actually really pains me that they didn’t make this live action as it was much better than what we got in Batman v Superman. Definitely much better than Superman Doomsday aswell (which I did like). I really cannot wait to see Part 2. All in all a very solid 9/10

Last edited:
Death of Superman

- I really liked that they incorporated the Hank Henshaw arc into the film. Rather than the comic where he just turns up here we see how it all starts.
- I also loved how they made Lex look like Lex Jr as his way of been out in the streets in secret.
- I also loved the way they incorporated the Justice League into this film, it felt natural that they were there.
- Clark revealing he was Superman to Lois was a wonderful scene. I loved when he said to Lois “I’m a guy form a small town just trying to make a difference”, cause that’s bang on to how Superman thinks.
- Shirt rip!!!!
- Doomsday ****ed the league up big time!
- The moment when Superman arrives! My god!
- Superman vs Doomsday is incredible.
- The way Superman killed Doomsday here was much better than the comics and Superman Doomsday.
- The scene with the Kent’s at the funeral broke me.
- The Bibbo scene wasn’t quite as good as the comics but it was still very emotional.
- What an ending?!
- 4 credits scenes?! Wow! I gasped at them all haha

Dislikes

- Lois dating Clark but not knowing he’s Superman makes her look like an idiot. But it made for a great moment later...

Animation

Even though I’m not a fan of the New 52 inspired designs the animation is stellar. Regarding Superman’s design I’ve always loved the \S\ in the back of Superman’s cape. I wasn’t that keen on how Doomsday looked tbh I think he looked better in Superman Doomsday.

References

- I noticed the outside of the Daily Planet looked like Superman Returns.
- The Kents talking about Clark’s past with Pete Ross and Lori Lemaris.
- Having Superman reveal to Lois that he’s Superman in the film the Death of Superman is surely no coincidence to what they were going to do in Tim Burton’s Superman Lives.
- There were many parallels to the fight in Batman v Superman, the way Superman came at Doomsday with heat vision. The way Doomsday sort of emitted energy as he “hulked up” for lack of a better germ and the way Doomsday emitted his own heat vision.
- “You’ve got me, but whose got you” - I liked the way they reused that dialogue from Superman the Movie but reversed it so this time it was Superman saying it to Lois.

Main Voice Cast

Jerry O’Connell was great as Superman, I kept thinking this is how Superman should sound. I actually thought he sounded even better as Clark Kent, he seemed to excel as Clark more so than Superman. After hearing lots of bad things I really liked Rebecca Romijn as Lois, she reminded me of Margot Kidder. Rainn Wilson as Lex, I don’t get why people weren’t keen, I thought he sounded awesome.

I recognised Cress Williams as John Henry Irons instantly and right away I think what great casting that is. Can’t wait to see him suit up as Steel in the sequel.

Jason O’Mara continues to seriously underwhelm as Batman. I still think he’s miscast. The rest of the League were good.

Summary

This just might be the best DC Animated film of them all. It actually really pains me that they didn’t make this live action as it was much better than what we got in Batman v Superman. Definitely much better than Superman Doomsday aswell (which I did like). I really cannot wait to see Part 2. All in all a very solid 9/10

Pretty much agree with all of this.

Also, am I the only one who feels like the quality of the animation for this film changed right before Superman arrived to take on Doomsday? It was like the first half of the film felt like the standard DC Animation but then when the second half arrived, I feel like i was watching an anime style film made in Japan (which is a compliment).

I also wish that we could have seen Cavill's Superman taken to the same extreme that this animated version had gone through when fighting against Doomsday. Cavill's Superman was never shown bleeding from his fight in BvS and his costume was mostly in tact prior his death.

Plus I enjoyed on how this film really took it's time to show on how deadly and menacing Doomsday was prior to his confrontation with Supeman. It makes Superman's sacrifice at the end really feel larger than life whereas I didn't feel anything in BvS.

Pretty much agree with all of this.

Also, am I the only one who feels like the quality of the animation for this film changed right before Superman arrived to take on Doomsday? It was like the first half of the film felt like the standard DC Animation but then when the second half arrived, I feel like i was watching an anime style film made in Japan (which is a compliment).

I also wish that we could have seen Cavill's Superman taken to the same extreme that this animated version had gone through when fighting against Doomsday. Cavill's Superman was never shown bleeding from his fight in BvS and his costume was mostly in tact prior his death.

Plus I enjoyed on how this film really took it's time to show on how deadly and menacing Doomsday was prior to his confrontation with Supeman. It makes Superman's sacrifice at the end really feel larger than life whereas I didn't feel anything in BvS.

Yes you’re spot on it really felt like anime when the fight happened. Especially with some of the slow motion stuff. I agree it’s a compliment.

Agree with the rest of what you said too :up:

Dislikes

I just wanted to say I don't think this is a bad thing at all. In fact, the scene where Clark removes his glasses and tells her to look at him was very well handled. It reminds me how alot of us would say that its more than just the glasses that separates Clark and Superman in people's eyes. Lois wasn't fooled, she thought Clark and Superman were different people because in alot of ways he kinda was.

still hate that they're still using the n52 character models, but this was good.

I just wanted to say I don't think this is a bad thing at all. In fact, the scene where Clark removes his glasses and tells her to look at him was very well handled. It reminds me how alot of us would say that its more than just the glasses that separates Clark and Superman in people's eyes. Lois wasn't fooled, she thought Clark and Superman were different people because in alot of ways he kinda was.

It really was a well done scene but I just don’t know how you’d be with intimate and with someone and not see the physical similarities. I think it makes sense when they aren’t dating but as soon as they are and being intimate with one another then she should know. In any case it gave us that amazing scene that was probably my favourite of the whole film and it’s only a minor nitpick in a near flawless animated film so it’s no biggie.

I still prefer Superman: Doomsday.

Seeing both of the Kents and neither one of them feeling annoyed by the presence of Lois is nice, something that I thought was weird not being there in the 2007 film.

I was hoping to see a Fantastic Four homage done to its fullest, but nods and jokes in comics can't be replicated in animation, and it would waste too much time.

I love the homage to how Wally defeated Brainiac Luthor in JLU. And I also loved every other moment with Barry, though making fun of Batman in the PTA feels more like a blend of a Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner thing.

Lex Luthor is awesome, they made his angry whining moments work without making him come across as a weak useless fake that Brainiac Attack did to the character.

I’m wondering in Part 2 if by the end he’ll have something more resembling the Rebirth costume.

As long as they don't bring back Supes' red man panties. I would be fine with the blue boots and even the Clark White beard.

As long as they don't bring back Supes' red man panties. I would be fine with the blue boots and even the Clark White beard.

I’d prefer red boots myself. There’s not much need for the red undies but if they bring them back I won’t have an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"