Animated Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen Two-Parter coming 2018/2019

Trailer

I have to say, the colour palette looks gorgeous on this one, but it still doesn't have me overly excited. Not the fault of the creative team, it's just that we've been to this well far too many times in both animation and live-action. It's lost it's impact.

Still curious to see who the writer is.

Trailer

I have to say, the colour palette looks gorgeous on this one, but it still doesn't have me overly excited. Not the fault of the creative team, it's just that we've been to this well far too many times in both animation and live-action. It's lost it's impact.

Still curious to see who the writer is.

I was quite impressed with the trailer. More than I thought I would be. I like seeing the details of the original and full story come to life. Plus the way it is updated with the current JL. It really looks like they're fully going in with the story.

I enjoyed many parts of "Superman: Doomsday", such as the characterisation. I really liked Jimmy Olsen in that movie, for instance. I liked seeing the Fortress come to life. But, of course, it just felt way too truncated. As did the live action.

This looks pretty epic.

Trailer has won me over, looks great.

Trailer looks good. I enjoyed Superman: Doomsday but they seem to have really pushed it on this one. Looking forward to seeing it and comparing them.

No one uses a Blackberry these days. A strike against the trailer. :oldrazz:

That animation was not impressive at all. Looks cheap.

They all look cheap these days, imo. Because they ARE cheap. Even Gotham by Gaslight, which I loved. They only make $3-4 million on these things, so they can't afford to spend much in the first place. We just have to accept that the budgets for these things will never be up to what the stories deserve.

Oh thank god they're still not having Superman in a romance with Wondner Woman.

I'd be more accepting of a cheap look if they weren't forcing this into the New 52 continuity/aesthetic/voice actor choices.

But I suppose they might all be tied together.

They all look cheap these days, imo. Because they ARE cheap. Even Gotham by Gaslight, which I loved. They only make $3-4 million on these things, so they can't afford to spend much in the first place. We just have to accept that the budgets for these things will never be up to what the stories deserve.

Yeah, I am not the biggest fan of the anime-style look so I wasn't expecting much, so was pleasantly surprised. I know they won't look as they did before.

'Superman: Doomsday' had the animation, but not the story. So now I am here for the story.

I do miss stuff like 'JL: A Crisis On Two Earths', or 'Superman/Batman: Apocalypse' but just don't expect that anymore.

Seems weird they are doing this story again in animation. Wasn't Superman: Doomsday basically the first DC animated movie for the current line?

Yes, but it wasn't very good. Plus, you know, it's not like there are any other good Superman stories out there. We all know all he's good for is dying. :o

Yes, but it wasn't very good. Plus, you know, it's not like there are any other good Superman stories out there. We all know all he's good for is dying. :o

:funny:

Kill the OP guy!

It's funny about these Superman stories- in this one, and in the JL movie- he's missing for a good chunk of it!

Yeah, but at least with this one, you'll get a bunch of different iterations of Superman.

The lack of 90s comic aesthetic really pisses me off though.

:funny:

Kill the OP guy!

It's funny about these Superman stories- in this one, and in the JL movie- he's missing for a good chunk of it!

Oddly enough the best one he's had in this dtv era is the JL vs TT movie. Not sure how or why he got so much attention in that one, but it's the portrayal worth bringing back.

I saw Batman: Year One the other day and, while it's far from a great film, the animation quality was astounding. It's sad to see how far they've fallen in this area.

Why has the quality dropped off? Is the work being done by different (i.e. cheaper) animators?

I'm convinced the budgets have been cut... and it's possible the DTV's aren't being sent to the A Team's of various animation studios.

Budget cuts are likely due to low sales. But for whatever reason they're still operating under the assumption DTVs work like they did in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Streaming and TV is the way to go for a growing and sustained audience. You're always going to have a niche market with the current method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"