Animated Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen Two-Parter coming 2018/2019

I've also read that WB aren't always looking at profit first and foremost with these DtV's. They're often seen as a useful try-out for things they're thinking of introducing in live-action film/TV (e.g. Suicide Squad, Justice League Dark), gauging reception to the ideas/concepts.

This DTV line was green-lit during the DVD boom around 2005, and everyone was doing it, but the market has changed drastically with VOD and Netflix, etc.

WB have managed to cut corners and rest on the laurels of Batman and Justice League to keep this line alive, but now it's really starting to show in the final product.

Pumping out three a year was a mistake and it clearly burns the crews out rapidly.

This DTV line was green-lit during the DVD boom around 2005, and everyone was doing it, but the market has changed drastically with VOD and Netflix, etc.

WB have managed to cut corners and rest on the laurels of Batman and Justice League to keep this line alive, but now it's really starting to show in the final product.

Pumping out three a year was a mistake and it clearly burns the crews out rapidly.

Yep, I'd happily settle for two or even one per year so long as the finished product's worth waiting for.

They've been pumping out 3 a year since 2009, 2 years after the first Doomsday movie. They allocated the budget they would be spending on tv shows (current options are TTGo! & a soon-to-be-gone JLA) to the DTV movies & web series.

They've been pumping out 3 a year since 2009, 2 years after the first Doomsday movie. They allocated the budget they would be spending on tv shows (current options are TTGo! & a soon-to-be-gone JLA) to the DTV movies & web series.

Yeah, and it does them no favours.

DTV's used to be a mini-event for fans of superhero animation. All of the following got a significant marketing push and received much more attention:

Batman & Mr Freeze: Sub-Zero
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
The Batman vs Dracula
Teen Titans: Trouble in Toyko

While many of them were far from perfect, you can still see the effort and time that went into them.

I mean, even the Scooby DTV;s were heavily hyped, ala Zombie Island/Witch's Ghost. Now, you blink and you'd miss them. Obviously this same push was present at the beginning of the line with Superman: Doomsday and for a while after. However, they started cranking them out and as the years went on the quality dipped and the interest waned. They barely get one out before they are pushing the next a few weeks later.

Mass production, low budgets, moderate profits.

That seems to be the motto and it's kept the line afloat, but quality is key and they are definitely slipping with the animation.

Yeah, and it does them no favours.

DTV's used to be a mini-event for fans of superhero animation. All of the following got a significant marketing push and received much more attention:

Batman & Mr Freeze: Sub-Zero
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
The Batman vs Dracula
Teen Titans: Trouble in Toyko

While many of them were far from perfect, you can still see the effort and time that went into them.

I mean, even the Scooby DTV;s were heavily hyped, ala Zombie Island/Witch's Ghost. Now, you blink and you'd miss them. Obviously this same push was present at the beginning of the line with Superman: Doomsday and for a while after. However, they started cranking them out and as the years went on the quality dipped and the interest waned. They barely get one out before they are pushing the next a few weeks later.

Mass production, low budgets, moderate profits.

That seems to be the motto and it's kept the line afloat, but quality is key and they are definitely slipping with the animation.

This was back before streaming took over, which also means the various other ways tv changed especially the relationship between WB/DC Animation and a certain network.

No one uses a Blackberry these days. A strike against the trailer. :oldrazz:

I actually went back to confirm I that girl was using Blackberry the first time I watched the trailer. Some people still use them. But I don’t think in the US though.

“The Death Of Superman” Coming August 7, 2018 To 4K, Blu-ray, DVD, July 24 To Digital HD

[URL="http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/2018/05/the-death-of-superman-coming-summer-2018/"[/URL]

They had 3 Japanese studios helping them out for Batman Ninja.

Batman Ninja is absolutely A-Team.

What an odd sentence.

It’s really not an odd sentence haha. Batman Ninja wasn’t part of the DCUOAM slate and given the thread we are in, it’s sort of assumed that we are talking about that line of films. Ninja was something else entirely. It’s as connected to the DCUOAM line as the Adam West Batman or LEGO Batman movies

So far it's a pretty good movie but then again I am a Superman fan. It's nice to see Dan again.

This is probably one of the best movies they have made so far. It was very good. I just didn't care for Lex to much.

They stick with the New 52 continuity with Superman and Wonder Woman broken up but still good friends and he's dating Lois now. It was all handled pretty well. The battle with Doomsday and the League was well done as well as Superman's battle with Doomsday. As far as Doomsday goes he is like the comics Doomsday mix with Snyder's (meaning each time he gets damaged his spikes grow). They also had Superman moving much like Cavil. The Flash and Green Lantern switched roles in this movie where the Flash was doing all the jokes and GL was more serious. The only thing I didn't like was Lex and the voice acting for Lois when Superman was dying other than that it was probably one of their best movies.

Goddammit, iTunes must've had a glitch because I saw this up for sale/rental in the early hours of the morning. Should've bought it then and there, it was 4K/DV too. :(

Goddammit, iTunes must've had a glitch because I saw this up for sale/rental in the early hours of the morning. Should've bought it then and there, it was 4K/DV too. :(
Itunes is the reason why it leaked so early. It was a mistake on their part.

They stick with the New 52 continuity with Superman and Wonder Woman broken up but still good friends and he's dating Lois now. It was all handled pretty well. The battle with Doomsday and the League was well done as well as Superman's battle with Doomsday. As far as Doomsday goes he is like the comics Doomsday mix with Snyder's (meaning each time he gets damaged his spikes grow). They also had Superman moving much like Cavil. The Flash and Green Lantern switched roles in this movie where the Flash was doing all the jokes and GL was more serious. The only thing I didn't like was Lex and the voice acting for Lois when Superman was dying other than that it was probably one of their best movies.

:up:

Looking forward to seeing this. I like to think DC animated are finding their feet again after some rocky entries. Of their more recent stuff I really enjoyed Teen Titans: The Judas Contract, Justice League Dark, Batman: Gotham by Gaslight and Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"