Anna Borden and Ryan Fleck are the Directors

Throwing in another name… Jennifer Kent, director of THE BABADOOK, which I've heard is electrifying. I'm going to watch it very very soon, but she's getting a ton of buzz for it.

Cornish could be good, but I highly doubt he'll ever work with Marvel again after the whole Ant-Man situation.

In general more time is a good thing, I agree but these people's time is valuable so efficiency is a good thing to go for as well. I'm sure they don't appreciate being tied up with one project for so long when it isn't necessary.

3 years isn't an "unnecessary" amount of time. I'm sure if you asked all the directors you named there if they would have preferred an extra year to develop the film they'd reply with an emphatic "yes!". They've all spoken about how tight those schedules were.

Not to mention all the extra time a certain movie that came out last year got(18 months of post production....jeezus!) and the film still had major problems. Extra time is no substitute for genuine artistic inspiration.

Post-production is not pre-production. There's only so much you can do to a film that's already in the can. And then there's the fact that that particular writer both sucks and blows at the same time, he's on record saying that was the hardest he'd worked on any script.

Besides, I'm sure they are already doing first stage preproduction on it already(scripting and such).

I've no doubt they have a script treatment. However, once a director is actually hired that will probably be significantly changed (as has been the case with their other films like GotG, Dr Strange & Avengers), and that requires time.

But given how films in the MCU don't exist in a vacuum like superhero movies used to be, that's all going to need to be taken into context as well. Carol Danvers would never have become Captain Marvel if she didn't already exist in a world with superheroes in it. That's a first for the MCU(and maybe ever in a big budget superhero film) because all the others that came before her are not that way(including BP).

And taking all that into account would probably require more time, no?

As I said, this summer will be the 3 year point from release. I think we'll have a director/writer by then.

Throwing in another name… Jennifer Kent, director of THE BABADOOK, which I've heard is electrifying. I'm going to watch it very very soon, but she's getting a ton of buzz for it.
I've heard VERY good things about that film as well. I don't even like horror movies but I'm definitely gonna have to check that one out. :up:

I've heard VERY good things about that film as well. I don't even like horror movies but I'm definitely gonna have to check that one out. :up:

As soon as the father-in-law is gone, I'm queuing this up on iTunes.

Cannot wait!

What is this BABADOOK? Sounds like something I should know about.

For a female director, what about Roxann Dawson?

For a female director, what about Roxann Dawson?

She could work. She's directed numerous episodes of Star Trek: Voyager, as well as one episode of Agents of SHIELD. She's got fairly extensive TV credits, but not really any big screen movies yet. That still could work in her favour as Marvel often likes to get TV directors.

I always used to find Roxann hotter with her Klingon make up than as her normal self. :hehe:

I would tend to think that female writers would be somewhat more important than a female director in terms of getting Carol's voice and perspective right

female vs male director I think it could be good either way, but they need women in the room right from the beginning.

Looks like Joss Whedon is definitely interested in directing Capt. Marvel.

Looks like Joss Whedon is definitely interested in directing Capt. Marvel.

Not that he'll have time if he's doing Infinity War. Though personally, even if he does have time (assuming the rumour of the Russos taking over is true), I'd rather he kept away on this one. Maybe be involved with the script, but so far I'm not loving his direction with Marvel from a visual perspective (AoU seems to be a step up so far but nothing great). If Marvel's looking at TV directors like with Winter Soldier, I think that Richard J Lewis or Chris Fisher could be solid choices.

I would give my pinkie toe to have Whedon just write the screenplay and Executive Produce in a hands on capacity.

Aha!
Whedon talked a little bit about the character, revealing that a lot of his knowledge of her comes from her '70s days as Ms. Marvel. "Captain Marvel I don’t know as well. There have been a few [versions] of her. I have the first issue of 'Ms. Marvel,' back when she was that, and had the Farrah hair. My only issue with her is that she always felt sort of on top. She was very driven. A winner. I always like to dig into the soil of things to find my heroes, if I can."
This quote confirms what I've always suspected about his comments about Carol in the past - that he's basing them off of an outdated version of her. Before the CM movie was announced, he seemed very dismissive of Carol, essentially labeling her a Mary Sue that's too awesome and powerful to be interesting. That just didn't sound like he was familiar with her current incarnation before, and I guess that was accurate. Someone get him KSD's run, stat! I know he'd love that Carol.

I get the impression that Joss Whedon wants to do his own stuff again. He's not ruling anything out, but he definitely seems reluctant to do Avengers 3 and isn't committing to Captain Marvel either.

I wouldn't really want Whedon involved in more than a consultant capacity. Let's keep getting people with fresh perspectives on the characters and take some risks. Especially if he's been dismissive of her in the past; better to get someone who'll fall in love with her and have a clear take on the film.

I get the impression that Joss Whedon wants to do his own stuff again. He's not ruling anything out, but he definitely seems reluctant to do Avengers 3 and isn't committing to Captain Marvel either.
Yeah, he straight up said that in the most recent interview. I honestly think he's like Chris Nolan in that he's happy doing the franchise thing, as long as he gets to do his own project in between. I feel like he's just being non-committal about Infinity War because he has something of his own he wants to do first, which was exactly how Nolan behaved after every Bat-flick.

And I don't think he's actually considering directing Captain Marvel, either. He was just asked directly about it and gave a "well never say never" kind of response.

OK! Magazine is reporting that Marvel has offered Angelina Jolie $20 million to direct Captain Marvel

kind of hard to believe considering Marvel doesn't normally pay that much money and they usually go for lesser known people.

OK! Magazine is reporting that Marvel has offered Angelina Jolie $20 million to direct Captain Marvel

kind of hard to believe considering Marvel doesn't normally pay that much money and they usually go for lesser known people.

I like Angleina Jolie but no thanks for her directing this and definitely don't want to see her star in it as captain marvel

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"