Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman XXXIV

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Thread Manager, Nov 19, 2012.

1. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

So, on a scale of the size of table being flipped, how excited are you see Blake as Batman, then? :awesome: :oldrazz:

2. jmc

jmc away for a while

Blame Talia.

3. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

It feels like both Bane and Selina may have benefited more in this film if Talia wasn't present in this film.

"Sigh", if only Nolan and Goyer could have used Talia for Begins and The Dark Knight, and replace Rachel Dawes altogether.

4. jmc

jmc away for a while

Talia's time was in Begins. I've played the movie out in my head sans Talia and LoS and it makes me depressed. :(

5. Kansiov

Kansiov Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, I wonder why Nolan chose to go the whole LoS route. I don't think it benefitted in terms of narrative or continuity. It's like added in to make the trilogy a "full circle" for the sake of it, just like Talia's "twist" was added for the sake of it.

6. jmc

jmc away for a while

That was my chief concern going into Rises when rumours started with Talia and the LoS. My mind was saying 'If he's going back there he has a reason for it', but it was just for the sake of it. :(

7. CapedCrusader14

Full circle. Simple as that. I was fine with it, but I feel like more could've been done. It's akin to the Death Star II in Return of the Jedi.

8. Anita18

Anita18 DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

LoS was there partly for personal revenge this time, not just for ideology as in BB. That's why Bruce's torture was so drawn out and personal. They didn't need to go through the class warfare or bother to take Bruce to the prison. They could have blown Gotham sky high once Pavel weaponized it, but they drew it out to make Bruce suffer.

It was the boot in the ass Bruce needed to finally move on from his anger.

9. J.Howlett

J.Howlett Guest

All of this.

Again, the film from frame one is a character piece built to break Bruce all the way down for him to rise a new man. The fact that this intimate story is done on this grand of a scale is kind of a miracle, in my eyes.

10. NoMoreDeadCops!

NoMoreDeadCops! Well-Known Member

:up:

11. Doc Samson

Doc Samson Superhero Psychiatrist

Exactly. I liken it to Bruce passing the cave over to Blake. I never believed it meant Blake will literally become Batman and fight in the same way Wayne did. It was simply giving Blake the resources he wouldn't otherwise have in order to protect Gotham as whatever symbol he chooses to be. "The Batman" persona, as it were, is specific to Bruce Wayne. And to the people of that city, Batman is dead, thus creating the everlasting legend Bruce sought in the first place.

Similarly, Talia & Bane's agenda is much different from Ras Al Ghul in terms of methodology & execution. The bottomline is the destruction of Gotham. But Ras was more akin to a religious cult leader, whereas Talia, & more specifically Bane, are militaristic & dictatorial. And once again, Bane teaming up with Ras & Talia is nothing new and plenty of comics have delved into it, so it's not unheard of.

12. TheSymbol

TheSymbol Well-Known Member

There's much hate around Anne's performance.i dont understand that.
    There is only one little scene in the movie when she plays kind of over the top in a way i dont really like.Thats the part where she confronts dagett for the first time.but for the rest of the film she's great.

13. 747

747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

A Catwoman spin-off written and directed by Jonathan Nolan would be more than awesome.

14. Cagefighterkip

Cagefighterkip Mr. Golightly

this.

15. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

Much hate?...

I honestly haven't seen any. People may not be jumping up and down for her like they did with Ledger but she got almost unanimous praise.

16. AnneFan

AnneFan Hathaway #1

^ Yep. Hate is a very strong word and I don't see much of that in feedback to Anne's performance. Most people loved it.

17. Van Petrol

Van Petrol Guest

:up:

18. Van Petrol

Van Petrol Guest

It makes you wonder, if Jonah wasn't around to press the idea we may not have got Selina/Catwoman at all. I kind of believe that she wasn't in Chris' plans at all from the start.

Although most seem to be of the idea that if Talia wasn't present, we would have gotten more depth to Bane and Selina, I often wonder had Chris gone his 'presumably' original route without Selina, would we have seen a more fleshed out Talia?

I agree with the consensus who feel Talia should have been introduced in Begins. A real missed opportunity there.

19. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

I think so. My crazy theory is the combined arc of Talia and Selina was meant for only one female character and it was split when they decided to have 2 female characters.

20. Kane52630

Kane52630 Just Some Nut

21. TheSymbol

That would be cool yes.

22. jmc

jmc away for a while

A boot in the arse that could been handled a hundred different ways. Sorry, you guys can spin it however you like, this full circle nonsense was done for no reason.

23. TheSymbol

For no reason? i really liked the idea of it actually,it's really cleverly done.
    Nolan ties all the important stories together from the first to in TDKR.
    It's now 1 complete story,in the best way possible.

24. Fudgie

Fudgie Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth.

They only dragged out the siege for months so Bruce could recover and train so he could come back and kick ass. No reason to bring the LOS back. It was the same stuff as before. Hey lets try and destroy the city again with an evil machine. Hey lets have a Al Ghul pretend to be someone they really ain't.

Yawn.

25. Anita18

Anita18 DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

On paper it's rather silly, putting the city through ALL THIS TROUBLE just to get back at one man (only Joker gets away with that on paper :hoboj: ), but the sincerity of how they acted and shot it is unmistakable. That's the aspect that wins me over on it.

But it all really circles around Bruce.

Whether you buy it is personal preference. But you can't say they did it "for no reason." You just don't like that reason. :oldrazz: