Another Life (Netflix)

Kaleb

2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion
Reaction score

When a mysterious alien Artifact lands on Earth, Commander Niko Breckinridge (Katee Sackhoff) has to lead humanity’s first interstellar mission to its planet of origin, while her husband (Justin Chatwin) tries to make first contact with the artifact back on earth. Another Life explores the miracle of life, how precious life is in a universe mostly empty of it, and the lengths we will go to protect the ones we love

Has potential, though hopefully we actually see some alien life this time around. I've watched too many shows lately that mention aliens, or imply their existence, and yet there's no payoff.

Hopefully it doesn't devolve to simply humans fighting among themselves. Have some contention, sure, but have them working together for the common goal. And yes, have the aliens be the main story rather than just a catalyst for said human drama.

Watching this and it's... not bad? The writing's a little forced in how it tries to create conflict (this is very much a people yell at each other show, sorry to say) and string together as many moral dillemmas and sci-fi concepts as it can, but I appreciate the effort and the cast is actually decent, with Katee Sackhoff bringing the goods, of course.

The directing style is a tad pedestrian and it's a shame about the more ambitious FX shots, which looked shipped in from 2002 SyFy or something. But I'm on Episode 3 and starting to get engrossed, I have to say.

I'm two or three episodes into this, can't remember specifically now. It has similarities to many other Netflix sci-fi shows and other films and series too (understandably). I do hope there's an actual alien payoff at the end though, one that makes more sense than what we got with Nightflyers or Arrival.

Saw the whole season.
If you can watch anything staring Katee Sackhoff go for it otherwise you will probably be disappointed.
The VFX are ok and the story already told, a bit of 2001 (the Artifact), a bit of Alien, a bit of 3rd Encounter and a dumb crew (they are tolerable for the needed drama).
Edit : if there is no season 2 and if you don't have time to try out a show, skip it.

It was decent, but I fell this show hit every single sf trope in the first season - mysterious alien arrival, a crew mutiny, strange alien virus affecting everyone, an alien symbiosis and taking over the ship, a dream/alternative reality episode, a black hole,.... It was like SyFy greatest hits.

Also, every plant looked too much like Earth, they just walked everywhere without protective head-wear, like the air would be that breathable everywhere not to mention different gravity. I was irritated by the AI - I kept yelling at the screen - you are an effing computer program, not a person for heaven's sake, stop being so bloody emotional. The Earth story-line became dull halfway through and I just couldn't connect to the husband.

What I did LOVE was that everyone on the ship had at least one if not multiple replacements in stasis, talk about smart planing, though it would be wasteful if the mission had failed or if the ship exploded and you lost the top experts in multiple fields in one go. The acting was OK, i wasn't that impressed with anyone to be honest, they were all serviceable. The doctor wasn't confident enough for me, far to many times he/she was shocked, confused or confounded.

Last edited:
A little SPOILERY!

Was okay with it. Sackoff is always good and I like Hoeschlin, but they wasted him on a stupid mutiny plot - which of course we just have to have... There were a couple of times when I was about shut it down, such as the stupid opening the visor scene and the times they were acting more like high school brats rather than professional astronauts. The character of Sasha hit it right when he mentions a frat house's sticky floor...

It was more like an updated version of Space Camp. I was also glad they kept the sex scenes restrained, though I did start FF through those as they were mostly just wasted time. And them doing that made it actually a surprise when we see Sackoff in the buff from behind.

Get past the forced drama though, and it was good-ish. Really started to pay off when we finally get to the end of the trip.

I may check out S2, as long as it isn't all down on Earth with hijacked people running around. Much more interested in the in-space aspect.

It was decent, but I fell this show hit every single sf trope in the first season - mysterious alien arrival, a crew mutiny, strange alien virus affecting everyone, an alien symbiosis and taking over the ship, a dream/alternative reality episode, a black hole,.... It was like SyFy greatest hits.

Haha, yeah, I'm currently watching episode 5 and the Annihilation vibes are heavy!

Watching it though only up to episode 7. I keep meaning to come back to it. Glad it got renewed though. With the reviews trashing it and the radio silence I wasn't sure.

I am shocked that this got renewed. Didn't think many people had checked it out.

Looking back at the season as a whole and man, it's a hot mess. But I can't say I didn't watch it, so...

One of the worst series i have watched on netflix........ and i am pretty lenient to anything netflix. Can't believe this series is getting a 2nd season while they have cancelled quite a few better shows.

Maybe this series is quite cheap to produce....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"