Ant-Man (2015): Rotten Tomatoes Watch/Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read someone in a youtube review who said he was not gonna watch the movie because Marvel fired Wright or something like that :dry: :whatever:

I read someone in a youtube review who said he was not gonna watch the movie because Marvel fired Wright or something like that :dry: :whatever:
He probably thinks 'Scott Piglrim vs. the World' is an ATG movie and Wright a Kubrick then. Some people...

That'll help it out some. The film seems to be entertaining the vast majority of those watching it.
Tons of laughs from the noon show I went to today. Sold out theater and plenty of clapping. My son doesn't seem to care for the Marvel flicks (aside from GOTG) and was in to this one. I'm hoping the word of mouth spreads. This movie doesn't strike me as particularly "buzzy" because of all of the negativity surrounding the production and the first trailer didn't wow everyone away but, sucks to that. Hoping for the best.

Last edited:
Tons of laughs from the noon show I went to today. Sold out theater and plenty of clapping. My doesn't seem to care for the Marvel flicks (aside from GOTG) and was in to this one. I'm hoping the word of mouth spreads. This movie doesn't strike me as particularly "buzzy" because of all of the negativity surrounding the production and the first trailer didn't wow everyone away but, sucks to that. Hoping for the best.
The Ant-Man name doesn't ring a bell or drive people rushing for the theaters immediately like their bigger name heroes. I think most people thought a film about someone with that name would be lame. It's definitely not and it's going to be a pleasant surprise for many that give it a chance.

Saw the movie a few hours ago. It deserves the positive critical reaction. :up:

Oh, so that's how RT works? I didn't know that.

Oh yeah, they just round off their scores. They don't bother with decimal points.

I don't get why 70% is bad but 80% is crap-your-pants fantastic. I mean, either way a majority of critics like the film.

Glad to see the movie is getting good reviews though.

IMO, 70% doesn't imply bad. It just implies OK, but nothing special. 85-90%, to me, implies ****-your-pants fantastic.

It wasn't Hollywood God by any chance, was it?

He probably thinks 'Scott Piglrim vs. the World' is an ATG movie and Wright a Kubrick then. Some people...

...:whatever:

Some people were interested in the film due to Edgar Wright, comparing him with Kubrick makes no sense because he's a completely different type of filmmaker, doesn't discredit his films, or how good they were.

I liked Ant-Man, but i also feel that Wright's style was more fitting and i wish i had seen his film, i don't see the problem with some people losing interest without Edgar Wright, i myself have lost interest in other films due to a certain filmmaker dropping out.

Last edited:
Noone is being forced to see this movie. If they think Edgar Wright is God and the movie has nothing to it without his golden touch, then thats good for them. 99% of filmgoers have no clue who he is or know/care about the drama w/ him leaving the film.

Im not a huge fan of Wright, as Ive said I like Shaun of the Dead but I dont consider him some amazing filmmaker. I think someone like Sam Raimi is much better, and Wright got a lot of his style from him btw.

Im sick of hearing Wrights name at this point. I dont care about his version, I care about the film we got by the director who made it.

Last edited:
Never heard of Wright until recently, and I loved this movie.

Ladies n ants Ant Man is at 80% on Rotten Tomatoes , oh...oh...its about that time

paul-rudd-sexy-dance-computer-gif.gif

Last edited:
Nicely done Marvel, another unknown Hero makes it to the big leagues.

Noone is being forced to see this movie. If they think Edgar Wright is God and the movie has nothing to it without his golden touch, then thats good for them. 99% of filmgoers have no clue who he is or know/care about the drama w/ him leaving the film.

That argument can be aplied to anything, 99% of moviegoers don't have a clue who he is, well, 99% of movie goers don't realy notice the difference in pratical filmmaking and what that means for the Star Wars Sequel trilogy, 99% of moviegoers don't realy know the different directors in Marvel films and how their different styles lead to different movies, etc.

I don't realy see your point here, are you talking about how much money it will make? Or about the quality of the finished product? Because different directors do make a difference when it comes the quality of a finished film.

Im not a huge fan of Wright, as Ive said I like Shaun of the Dead but I dont consider him some amazing filmmaker. I think someone like Sam Raimi is much better, and Wright got a lot of his style from him btw.

They both have an energetic style, but i think it's weird to try comparing both, Edgar Wright is more of a comedy film director, while Raimi leans towards horror and adventure with some cheesy humor here and there. While i absolutely love Raimi, i also think he's way past his prime and has had quite a few number of disapointments, even back in the 90s, while Wright has yet to deliver a film that's less than good IMAO.

Im sick of hearing Wrights name at this point. I dont care about his version, I care about the film we got by the director who made it.

I was just answering some people because they made it seem as if somebody losing interest in the film due to Wright leaving was nonsensical.

I was just answering some people because they made it seem as if somebody losing interest in the film due to Wright leaving was nonsensical.

It most definitely is true.

Lord: Wrights name isnt big enough to draw people to see Ant-Man. Hes not that famous.

We'll never know what Wrights film was like, but as I said if it was that great and special, Marvel would never have had a dispute. Wright screwed up, plain and simple.

Peyton Reed said several times, Marvel wanted the movie to be weird, eccentric and gave him lots of freedom to do it his way.

Sam Raimi is one of Wrights main influences as a filmmaker. Thats obvious, just watch Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness or Darkman and then Shaun of the Dead. Personally Ive been a fan of Sams since Evil Dead 2 and I love the Spider Man films, A Simple Plan, The Gift. Wrights made 1 film I liked (SOTD), Im not really a fan of Hot Fuzz etc. Sam Raimi's work vs Wrights: Thats a matter of preference, not quality. IMO as a film geek, Sams stuff is better than Wrights minimal output.

This is becoming like a broken record discussion again, all the info has been given to us about what happened yet people are still going back to Wright. Gotta get over it I guess.

Ant Man is at 80% on Rotten Tomatoes and Wright didnt direct the film.

Last edited:
Currently 80% rating on rotten. Very, very nice!!

Probably be 5-6% higher if the Edgar Wright fanboys didn't get to review it

The scary part about that is the fact that there might be some actual truth to it.

That argument can be aplied to anything, 99% of moviegoers don't have a clue who he is, well, 99% of movie goers don't realy notice the difference in pratical filmmaking and what that means for the Star Wars Sequel trilogy, 99% of moviegoers don't realy know the different directors in Marvel films and how their different styles lead to different movies, etc.

I don't realy see your point here, are you talking about how much money it will make? Or about the quality of the finished product? Because different directors do make a difference when it comes the quality of a finished film.

They both have an energetic style, but i think it's weird to try comparing both, Edgar Wright is more of a comedy film director, while Raimi leans towards horror and adventure with some cheesy humor here and there. While i absolutely love Raimi, i also think he's way past his prime and has had quite a few number of disapointments, even back in the 90s, while Wright has yet to deliver a film that's less than good IMAO.

The point is that it seems like those Wright fanboys who are on RT are just trolling the movie. They made up their minds in advance to hate it and watched it only so they could give negative reviews.

I def think Wrights fanboys have affected the ratings of this movie. Its pretty childish stuff too.

Lord: Wrights name isnt big enough to draw people to see Ant-Man. Hes not that famous.

I'm not saying he is...

We'll never know what Wrights film was like, but as I said if it was that great and special, Marvel would never have had a dispute. Wright screwed up, plain and simple.

A lot of people who work with Marvel seem to have "screwed up", and fan always point at people that are not Marvel as the reason for this screw up, even though we've seen that Marvel's micro-managing has made some villain get one-dimensional and lead to many creative people leaving.

Sam Raimi is one of Wrights main influences as a filmmaker. Thats obvious, just watch Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness or Darkman and then Shaun of the Dead. Personally Ive been a fan of Sams since Evil Dead 2 and I love the Spider Man films, A Simple Plan, The Gift. Wrights made 1 film I liked (SOTD), Im not really a fan of Hot Fuzz etc. Sam Raimi's work vs Wrights: Thats a matter of preference, not quality. IMO as a film geek, Sams stuff is better than Wrights minimal output.

As a film geek myself, i find Wright's resume more consistent. I don't see the problem with Wright being influenced by Raimi, just because he's influenced, doesn't mean he can't make better movies. For love of the Game, The Gift and Oz the Great and Powerful were all realy weak. I didn't want to compare the two, you're the one who tried to compare Raimi with Edgar Wright by saying Wright's a weaker filmmaker.

This is becoming like a broken record discussion again, all the info has been given to us about what happened yet people are still going back to Wright. Gotta get over it I guess.

Ant Man is at 80% on Rotten Tomatoes and Wright didnt direct the film.

And am i saying Ant-Man was a bad film? No, not at all, all this time i'm just defending those that lost interest in the movie after Edgar Wright left. Edgar Wright is a criticaly acclaimed filmmaker after all, his films have been considered the best and most interesting comedies of the past few years, some people don't realy take Marvel Studios very seriously, and when Edgar Wright droped out, some "film buffs" simply lost interest because they knew that what could have been an interesting project, would end up just being a fun action film.

As for Rotten Tomatoes, you are aware that every Edgar Wright has a higher score there than Ant-Man, right?

The point is that it seems like those Wright fanboys who are on RT are just trolling the movie. They made up their minds in advance to hate it and watched it only so they could give negative reviews.

Or they didn't like the movie. Some of the people who gave positive reviews to this movie do mention that it would have been better with Edgar Wright, it's not just the negative reviewers.

Or they didn't like the movie. Some of the people who gave positive reviews to this movie do mention that it would have been better with Edgar Wright, it's not just the negative reviewers.

That is impossible to know since that movie was never filmed. And I stick by the trolling. The way some of those reviews read they practically tell you they went in determined not to like it.

That is impossible to know since that movie was never filmed. And I stick by the trolling. The way some of those reviews read they practically tell you they went in determined not to like it.

True, but that's usualy what happens with films that are never made, they become legends. James Cameron's Spider-Man treatment was realy weird, but it's legendary due tot he possibility that Cameron might have made a Spider-Man movie.

Lord: Ive been a fan of Sam Raimi since I was a kid. That was many years before Wright ever came around. No, not every filmmaker has a perfect record, but Sam has more hits than misses. Also hes a great director either way. Wrights made what? 4 movies? he hasnt had a big hit with any of them except for Shaun of The Dead. Hes more of a cult filmmaker, and thats cool but Ant Man wouldve been his first big film and he never did it. So, there goes that.

80% vs Wrights film scores: So by that logic youre saying Wright wouldve made a better movie. Im sure it wouldve been a good film but it simply wasnt what Marvel wanted to do. So, theres no point in comparing them anyway. They couldnt make it his way.

If Wright fans/comic book people want to obsess over what his film wouldve been like, thats cool. But lets watch the actual film and enjoy it for what it is and stop whining about that situation.

As for Marvel not being taken seriously by film buffs, thats stuff Im not gonna try to debate. People know what/who these films are made for, you either dig em or you think theyre beneath you I guess. Hopefully they will continue to keep making better and better "films" that are more than just super hero/action movies so critics and fans can enjoy them equally as well crafted cinema and pulp/sci fi/comic book fare.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"