Ant-Man (2015): Rotten Tomatoes Watch/Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not one to bash Wright. Without his hard work on this project and persistence (even with the falling out) the movie simply does not get made.

Maybe not this particular one but an Ant-Man movie would have got made had Edgar Wright never been involved. Probably would have been Hank Pym instead of Scott Lang too.

That's based on the opening weekend box office numbers, which are tracking to be the 2nd lowest in the MCU.
Knee-jerk response on my part. I just don't like seeing Ant-Man in the same sentence of TIH regardless of context.:cwink:

2nd lowest is fine as long as it does well enough say...$150M domestic. It will do well overseas.

I'm annoyed we're back down to 79% (oh, and f*** the fanboy who's thinly veiled review was basically another "I wish Edgar had done this" write-up). However, it doesn't matter anymore, the film is out and I think it's gonna have legs. Word of mouth is everything at this point and audiences are loving it.

Im sick of hearing Wrights name at this point.

Too bad. Wright is inextricably connected to this film. Story & script credits, main cast, AM suit design, what the world & action would look like when AM shrinks, the fact it's a heist film, the fact the film got made at all -> Wright. People aren't going to stop talking about him, nor should they.

Lord: Wrights name isnt big enough to draw people to see Ant-Man. Hes not that famous.

What does that have to do with anything? Was Reed famous? No. Irrelevant point.

Peyton Reed said several times, Marvel wanted the movie to be weird, eccentric and gave him lots of freedom to do it his way.

It's unfortunate then that "weird" & "eccentric" for Reed turned out to be run of the mill & pedestrian story telling & characterisation.

Sam Raimi is one of Wrights main influences as a filmmaker. Thats obvious,

Obvious & also irrelevant. Raimi has nothing to do with Ant Man.

Also, everyone has influences, including Raimi. No one exists in a vacuum.

IMO as a film geek, Sams stuff is better than Wrights minimal output.

Are you really trying to undercut Wright by saying he hasn't made many films? That's weak. You know he's 15 years younger than Raimi, yeah? And he has made a film every 3 years since his first in 2004, with another out next year, yeah?

Wrights made what? 4 movies? he hasnt had a big hit with any of them except for Shaun of The Dead.

Actually SotD is his lowest grossing film:
SotD -- $30m WW
Hot Fuzz -- $80.5m WW
Scott Pilgrim -- $47.6m WW
World's End -- $46m WW

The point also has to be made that Wright has never had a blockbuster sized marketing budget to promote his films, so saying he's never had a blockbuster hit before is moot.

Try again.

80% vs Wrights film scores: So by that logic youre saying Wright wouldve made a better movie.

Hold on a sec. You're the one trumpeting AM's RT rating as a vindication & a win (have you even seen the film?) It's you're logic, so:

Wrights track record:
Shaun -- 92% - 7.8/10
Hot Fuzz -- 91% - 7.7/10
Scott Pilgrim -- 82% - 7.5/10
World's End -- 89% - 7.5/10

Reed highest film before Ant Man was Bring It On at 63% - 5.9/10.

So which is it? Does RT count or not?

It's unfortunate then that "weird" & "eccentric" for Reed turned out to be run of the mill & pedestrian story telling & characterisation.

Take care with what you type Moridin. Such verbiage has a habit of coming back and biting you in the ass. :cool:

Too bad. Wright is inextricably connected to this film. Story & script credits, main cast, AM suit design, what the world & action would look like when AM shrinks, the fact it's a heist film, the fact the film got made at all -> Wright.

If this film is as "run of the mill" and "pedestrian" as you claim, then Wright is "inextricably" a part of that too. Or does that statement only work until its no longer convenient? :whatever:

Just got back from seeing the film. Had a great fun time, I loved it.

Take care with what you type Moridin. Such verbiage has a habit of coming back and biting you in the ass. :cool:

If this film is as "run of the mill" and "pedestrian" as you claim, then Wright is "inextricably" a part of that too. Or does that statement only work until its no longer convenient? :whatever:

Because you could give two directors the same script and they'll produce movies of very different qualities. If you gave Wright the same script as Reed used the end result would be very different, because his style & sensibilities are totally different.

There's good ideas in there, (from both sides, I liked stuf like [BLACKOUT]Pena's "tips", and the idea that Jan might just be lost in the Microverse rather than dead)[/BLACKOUT] but, Reeds direction is run of the mill, the overall execution of the film is pedestrian, IMO.

The script was heavily re-written by Rudd & McKay which heavily affects story & character, while Wright's and Cornish's ideas are still a core of that, the end result is pretty standard.

Concepts are one thing, execution another. No biting of my ass is necessary tonight :cwink:.

Now you must endlessly dissect it online until every last ounce of fun & enjoyment is wringed away leaving nought but a dried-out husk.

You couldn't possibly be referring to me, could you old bean?

You couldn't possibly be referring to me, could you old bean?

No sir, just a friendly rib at the wider community. What you're saying seems reasonable enough (I haven't seen the movie yet to know whether I agree or not)

Moridin: The proof is in the pudding. All Im doing is responding to the Wright fanboys.

Sam Raimi was around before Wright and I was a fan of him. Personally I like Sams work more than Wrights. Thats my preference as a film fan seeing as Wright was obviously influenced by Sams kinetic style and editing.

Rotten Tomatoes: Ant Man, the film almost everyone thought was going to fail got an 80% score, that was my main point. Yes it is a win for this particular film after all the drama thats happened. No I havent seen it yet, Im going Monday.

I dont care what Wrights films have done on RT, thats irrelevant because he didnt direct this movie. And noone knows for SURE that his film wouldve done better than Reed's is doing now. Also contrary to geek belief, not everyone out there is a huge Wright fan (or even knows who he is), so that was never going to do much in terms of its popularity.

The Wright fanboys spin everything to their advantage. If the film flopped it would be because Wright wasnt involved, if the film is considered cool, well, oh my god Wright must be responsible for it of course.

Thats BULLS****. So lets stop with this lame debate already. Wright got credit for what he did and Reed directed the final product which most people are very happy with. Case closed. If people cant accept that, well thats their problem.

"Denial isn't just a river in Egypt"

Last edited:
I like Edgar movies and I like what Peyton Reed did with this Ant-Man movie. Is this a bit like being 'on-the-fence'? Or maybe a bit of 'swinging both ways'? I feel like I need to pick a side to "fanboy" on. :whatever:

Watched it. It was decent. Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, and Evangeline Lilly made it worth while. Falcon and his scene didn't belong and felt like a whole other film. Wright was right to fight against its inclusion in the film. Another worthless villain. Front half of the film was a bit slow. Second half was better. I genuinely teared up when Hank was talking about how his wife died. Laughed a few times. Never really got excited by anything or felt any sort of rush like I did while watching Winter Soldier.

7/10

Nothing spectacular. Nothing truly awful. Safe and generic. It is better than the messy Age of Ultron and the weak Dark World tho.

"It was ok, nothing great. I didnt like this and that. Wright was right to not do so n so..." its so obvious what your agenda is. Man go watch The Worlds End and leave Ant Man to the MCU fans who could care less about Wright.

That doesn't make any kind of sense. Wright is inextricably a part of the movie because he played a huge role in it existing in the first place. That does not mean he's responsible for every single aspect of the movie after he left the project. Heck, even if he stayed on he wouldn't be responsible for every single aspect of the project. A directors control over the process waxes and wanes from project to project, and even with as much control as a director can have, the end product would still be influenced by the other people who work on the movie. Movies are inherently collaborative. Add to that the fact that Wright wasn't the one who directed the final product, and saying that every aspect of the film is his responsibility and that Morodin's comment "came back to bite him in the ass" is entirely absurd.

Wright is still relevant to the conversation because he did the preproduction for years and the basic premise of the film is entirely from him and he left the project weeks before filming started under much mystery and everyone will always wonder what his version would have looked like. He'll always come up whenever people talk about this film, and that's a fact. However, saying that every criticism one might have about the film can only be layer at his feet if one holds to the notion that he's relevant to the conversation is a complete fallacy.

Why are people so defensive of this movie?

Also contrary to geek belief, not everyone out there is a huge Wright fan (or even knows who he is), so that was never going to do much in terms of its popularity.

No one here has made that claim. The people you're debating with have said that they consider the name brand recognition of Wright or any other director to be irrelevant. You're the only one who keeps bringing it up.

The Wright fanboys spin everything to their advantage. If the film flopped it would be because Wright wasn't involved, if the film is considered cool, well, oh my god Wright must be responsible for it of course.

Again, no one has said that.

Thats BULLS****. So lets stop with this lame debate already. Wright got credit for what he did and Reed directed the final product which most people are very happy with. Case closed. If people cant accept that, well thats their problem.

"Denial isn't just a river in Egypt"

No one denies any of that. No one is in denial at all.

Some people have said that they didn't care for the film and that they wish Wright had directed it instead as they think he would have done a better job.

Why does that notion offend you so much?

Everything Ive said has been part of the overall debate around Ant Man either in this forum or outside.

This isnt about ME personally. Its not like I'm making all this stuff up out of the blue. Some people cannot accept that Ant Man is a success and that Wright wasnt directly involved. He did come up with some ideas/concepts but Rudd/McKay and others reworked that and Peyton Reed directed and brought the movie to life with his own alternate vision. Theres nothing much left to debate anymore with Wrights involvement.

Also for all we know the problems/flaws people have with the movie may have been Wrights ideas. How do you even know what he did vs what Rudd, McKay and Reed etc came up with to improve/alter it? My money is on Wrights stuff being the main flaws since it wasnt what Marvel wanted. Thats also probably why he left in the first place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"