Anyone else extremely relieved that the WB didn't let Al & Miles make "Gotham?"

Because Smallville has existed as a continued breath of originality and progression? :lmao:

smallville may not be original anymore but they do have cool special effects. I can't imagine the kind of special effects a show about Bruce Wayne would need. There would hardly be any.

Miles and Gough are such hacks that to call them hacks is an insult to real hard working hackings like Uwe Boll.

I wouldn't call them hacks. The first couple of seasons were pretty good. They just got greedy along with the network and wanted more after season 5. The show went downhill around season 4, IMO.

smallville may not be original anymore but they do have cool special effects. I can't imagine the kind of special effects a show about Bruce Wayne would need. There would hardly be any.
If Heroes took a cue from Smallville's special effects department, it'd be better off.

I don't see how a 'Bruce Wane' idea got as far as it did. There's really nothing interesting about that before he dons the cape and cowl; not for a weekly TV series, anyway. However, I do think a full blown Batman show that, while giving time to the more notable villains, was mostly focused on smaller scale detective stories would be most interesting.

Smallville's problem is that it's greatest moments are really really great. But it's lowest moments are an ungodly level of low.

Too much filler, too much inconsistency, and too many ridiculously silly ideas. The show's lasted for over seven years, gone through a network switch, and still has a stable fan base, but that doesn't mean the room for improvement isn't sky high.

And on the topic, a Batman-less Gotham show could work in the right hands. Not sure if Al and Miles are what I would consider the right hands, but their Aquaman pilot had promise, so *shrug*

After Bales Trilogy maybe they should continue that continuity with a live action T.V series ala "Sarah Conner chronicles"

I am.

They've butchered the hell out of the Superman mythos (see the crappy series called Smallville for more info) while barely taking into consideration what effects it may have on the current interpretations.

"But wait boyscouT! Smallville is a completely different interpretation!"

Right :whatever: .

Open your eyes folks, that's just been a 7-year copout. I've had enough BS from Al & Miles.

I'm extremely thankful that I am alive in the time of Nolan, Bale, and Ledger (RIP). To be able to experience what Nolan & Co. is doing with the Batman franchise is awesome! Thank goodness "Gotham" was never greenlighted. Thank you Nolan!

Gough and Millar had nothing to do with the young Bruce Wayne TV show. That project was developed by Tim McCanlies. It was shelved because Lorenzo di Bonaventura (WB President of Production, at the time) didn't want another live action version of the character clashing with the movie franchise.

McCanlies was also the original creator of Smallville. After his Bruce Wayne show fell through, he made a pitch for a young Clark Kent show. It was inspired by an episode he would have done on his Bruce Wayne show entitled "Smallville", which would have had Bruce Wayne meet a 16 year old Clark Kent at a newspaper convention in Gotham.

Smallville was a go, but after McCanlies told The WB, this isn't going to be Dawson's Creek and were not casting 25 year old models to play high school kids, the network told him, that's exactly what they wanted to do. McCanlies left (although he still receives royalties for every episode of SV) and Gough and Millar stepped in.

As far as the Bruce Wayne TV show goes, I'm pretty confident if it was made, it wouldn't have been anything like Smallville.

Yeah, I don't really understand that notion either that just because they did Smallville a certain way (that many people hate) that they'd do the same thing with Bruce and Gotham.

Like I said earlier, they were behind the Aquaman pilot, and that was absolutely nothing like Smallville at all.

Except for the fact that it featured a reluctant hero on the cusp of beginning his journey to fulfill his heroic destiny, stayed away from costumes, relied heavily on hot chicks and "modernized" settings, was apparently set up for a freak-of-the-week formula, had a girl to whom the hero was attracted but had an awkward relationship with, etc. No similarities at all. :up:

Wait...was there not a show like this? I think it was called "Birds of Prey". :whatever:

Except for the fact that it featured a reluctant hero on the cusp of beginning his journey to fulfill his heroic destiny, stayed away from costumes, relied heavily on hot chicks and "modernized" settings, was apparently set up for a freak-of-the-week formula, had a girl to whom the hero was attracted but had an awkward relationship with, etc. No similarities at all. :up:

You're basing all that off of one episode? :huh:

That one episode had all those elements, or at least the beginnings o them. Granted, they could've done a complete 180, suited Arthur up in orange and green in episode 2, had him talking to fish by episode 5, and basically be mimicking the comics panel-for-panel by episode 10, but I sincerely doubt it. They have a proven formula that works with Smallville, the CW is very well known for sticking to a very specific sort of formula for shows at this point, and all of the Smallville-esque elements were in that pilot for Aquaman.

After Bales Trilogy maybe they should continue that continuity with a live action T.V series ala "Sarah Conner chronicles"

They should put this on everyone's favourite Time Warner owned channel, HBO.
10 episode seasons. Change it so the Gordon character is younger and not retired like in the films but still take the same tone, characters and storylines from the series.

Gothamcentral1.jpg

That would be awesome. I don't think Gordon needs to be there, but I guess I wouldn't mind if he were. Maybe they could even work "Officer Down" into a season.

I wouldn't call them hacks. The first couple of seasons were pretty good. They just got greedy along with the network and wanted more after season 5. The show went downhill around season 4, IMO.
agree

A Batman-prequel TV series could have been awesome. Not with Miles and Gough, though, they're on some foolishness. But if done RIGHT, following Bruce on his world travels, you could get into some real world-class mysteries while getting a different type of action every week. Every few weeks learning a totally new fighting style, in between get a mountain climbing episode (ala Cliffhanger), a racing racing episode (ala Days of Thunder), a science episode (ala CSI) and then back to a fighting style.

If Smallville's crew would have been behind Gotham, yeah, it would have been stupid mugger of the week stuff, but if someone decided to film Batman's ACTUAL origin from the comics, it would be a stellar experience, no matter what network it went on.

Recurring characters would just be Alfred, Lucius, Talia, Tommy Elliot, Harvey Dent, and Ra's. Villains of the week would be genre-villains, the corrupt pilot, the mad computer scientist, the traitorous swordsman, the rogue sniper. It could be awesome.

Of course, it wouldn't be called Gotham, would it? More like "Bruce"

I doubt you could just call a series "Bruce." It doesn't convey anything about the show or its relation to Batman. But the rest of it sounds good.

I doubt you could just call a series "Bruce." It doesn't convey anything about the show or its relation to Batman. But the rest of it sounds good.

Yeah - also - Don't forget that TV producers don't think that the name 'Bruce' is manly enough.

:cwink: :woot:

Like a modern incarnation of Kung Fu?

bruce wayne walking from town to town saving mothers and their sons and beating up crooked sheriffs?
:up:

hell, give him a black car and it's knight rider LOL

What? You didn't want 7 seasons of Bruce chasing after Vicki Vale? Come on! It would have been great!

Not mention he would never wear the suite? Joker would just be class clown that occasionally steps over the line, but hey he apologised, so every thing is cool.

and every episode would end with Bruce and Vicki,dubbed Brucki by the fandom ;) on a balcony at Wayne Manor

*cue upbeat teeny bopper song*

Jack Napier- believe me Bruce our friendship will be the stuff of legend

Or give him his gadgets and keen mind and it's MacGyver. That basic premise was used for a lot of episodic television in the '80s. ;)

LOL!

I think the travelling hero stuff would have harkened back to the 80's quite a bit. Once Bruce learns the engineering, chemistry and other gadget prereqs he could kind of grow into a MacGuyver. There could easily be a season that revolved around his car travelling the U.S. Knight Rider style as he developed the groundwork for the Batmobile.

*facepalm*

Come on, dude. Every mystery show has an episode-length antagonist. CSI has Villains of the week. If Bruce is travelling, that means he has to wrap up a storyline every episode or two, meaning an antagonist has to be deflated, by some means or other.

I personally would stray FAR away from gotham-based villains, though. Man, far away. I'd end up cameoing other DC heroes and villains, shamelessly, over time. But Gotham would stay in Gotham.

Though, I would consider it for an episode or string of episodes based in or near Gotham City. Running into a young Blockbuster in Bludhaven wouldn't be off-limits. Neither would being pit against world-travelling hitman Bane somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"