The Force Awakens Anyone glad it's not written by Lucas?

Hordakfan

Civilian
Reaction score
I mean the man is a visionary storyteller but god damn his writing sucks badly, that's one of the problems i had with the previous trilogy is that he can't write for **** not even romance when he should have hired proper or decent writers.

But at least the studio hired better writers

I'll be honest, I am.

Keep in mind, it's also his directing that affected the prequels. Be it good if you're a fan, be it bad if you're not. His blocking and love of medium shots didn't make anything really interesting to look at. Even if there's thousands of ships in the background, it's all noise.

Let's say if Spielberg directed The Phantom Menace but kept the same script, I think the movie would've been twice as good. Then again, Indy 4 proves me otherwise, but you get the idea.

Again, people don't understand this. The problem is not and never GL as a writer.

Hell, he is one of the BEST writers in Sci-Fi; without him, no world of Star Wars!

He is just not a great actor's director! He can't direct actors for ****. Good directing will always make up for not the best of writing.

If you have good enough actors, they will put out a great performance, if the directing is concerned with how actors talk/emote. With GL, he seem to be fine with the minimal performance from actors!

Some of you need to know the difference between good writing, and good directing.

Also, Natalie Portman I came to realize lately, is not that good of an actress as Jennifer Lawrence.

Last edited:
Q: Anyone glad it's not written by Lucas?
A: Everyone glad it's not written by Lucas.

That said, I am very glad the stories/treatments came from Lucas, and that he has a big consultant role in the whole thing. It wouldn't feel right, otherwise. The man built the whole thing, for goodness sake. But when it comes to actually sitting down and righting the screenplay? Bullet = dodged.

Last edited:
I don't think it bothered GL as director, how any acting scenes were fully emotional and believable in romance.

Faster, Faster is his style with directing. When he is the director, he doesn't seem to care that characters have very emotional relationship among each other as the better directors. The relationship seem very stale.

He has all of my admiration and respect for creating this universe. But I'm glad he's not writing this one.

Yes Lucas is weak as a director and a writer but he can do a good story but his dialogue isn't very good and feels lifeless, now Empire and Jedi had real writers to help while Lucas does the story.

I'm glad that Lucas has as little involvement in this movie as possible. He's a poor writer and director.

Respect to Lucas for his contributions to the original trilogy, but HOLY CRAP the less he has to do with this trilogy the better. It's rationally undeniable that as time passed he's become horrible horrible HORRIBLE at any and every role that he filled that had to do with the original trilogy. I would rather watch two hours worth of random commercials than have to watch episode 1 again.

well just because GL isnt writing this doesnt mean he isnt being consulted about it at any point, specially now that they're making Ep7 a send off to the OT. his story telling is good, its his dialogue and directing thats always been clunky. he admitted as much.

so to paraphrase this thread-- yes i am glad GL isnt directing this, and that the screenplay is primarily being written by somebody else, but i do hope this doesnt make it too far different from the OTs or the PTs.

Again, people don't understand this. The problem is not and never GL as a writer.

Hell, he is one of the BEST writers in Sci-Fi; without him, no world of Star Wars!

He is just not a great actor's director! He can't direct actors for ****. Good directing will always make up for not the best of writing.

If you have good enough actors, they will put out a great performance, if the directing is concerned with how actors talk/emote. With GL, he seem to be fine with the minimal performance from actors!

Some of you need to know the difference between good writing, and good directing.

Also, Natalie Portman I came to realize lately, is not that good of an actress as Jennifer Lawrence.

He's a great idea man. But even George himself has admitted he's not that great of a writer, nor has he ever loved doing it. Writing can be a big part of things as well. With the OT he had lots of help in the writing department, even the original.

But I am glad, but I'm glad he's still being consulted, and his basic treatment i being followed. I still think George has one of the greatest imaginations out there. So I'm glad he was a part of the treatments, and I'm glad that we have others writing the scripts etc.

During the script rewrite, was George even being consulted for storyline, plot?

He's a perfectly above-average writer/director, not great, but far from terrible. Better than the likes of Michael Bay.

I'm neither glad nor upset he isn't writing. However, I am glad they may be using his old ideas for the sequels (but keep in mind, George did the same for the prequels).

I mean, to be fair, Young Lucas who was struggling to make in Hollywood and fighting the system was the best Lucas.

American Graffiti is a masterpiece. THX was an interesting experiment (though the 3rd act was just a slow chase), and then you have Star Wars, a film that he fought teeth and nail for. Young George Lucas was punk rock.

But when success came in, the luxuries of not being able to 'suffer for your art' hurt the PT. At least to me.

During the script rewrite, was George even being consulted for storyline, plot?

Keep in mind, that Lucas was on team Ardnt, and stepped back when JJ and Kathy Kennedy won.

Even when it comes to the Star Wars mythos, JJ has the Lucasfilm Story Group. He could just ask them (Pablo Hidalgo and the others)

Anybody get the feeling script was rewritten only b/c Windows 8, which was a drastic change for many people, flopped? Rewritten script was made in fear "new generation of heroes" would be the Windows 8 of Star Wars, hence Episode 7 would now be all about nostalgia...

Not at all. JJ has already laughed at all the "speculation" of what the changes were. It's clear there is a new generation of heroes being cast. All the casting sheets are asking for "new leads". Also JJ said he wants to go in different directions. But at the same time many seem to forget this is a continuation. It's Episode VII. It can't just cut off the big three and say "no". Especially with their proactive natures, they need to be involved in some degree, mainly Luke.

Last edited:
Anybody get the feeling script was rewritten only b/c Windows 8, which was a drastic change for many people, flopped? Rewritten script was made in fear "new generation of heroes" would be the Windows 8 of Star Wars, hence Episode 7 would now be all about nostalgia...

Windows 8?

wut.

I'm fine without him writing it. I love the guy because he gave us this series but after the prequels (excepting the last half of RotS) I wouldn't be very interested if he was. I'd go see it of course but I wouldn't be looking forward to it as I am now.

Ok Ok, GL's ideas are AWESOME. He should be consulted for planet, setting ideas, but the actual dialogs should be written by someone knows relationship better.

Eh,it's popular to bash Lucas,but the guy's a genius.I'm glad Kasdan is involved,but he's as unpredictable as Lucas.What you really need is Lucas as the idea man feeding the concept to Kasdan,and Kasdan writing the script like in the old days.

chris-rock-huh-face.gif

I never understood his way of working.He would get the best costume designers,makeup artists,set designers,best musicians,etc,but he wouldn't get a good writer to write the movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"