Iron Man Anyone prefer Iron Man over Dark Knight?

I remember when Iron Man came out and the fans and critics said Iron man was the greatest superhero film ever made, they also said that about Spider-man and Spider-Man 2, lets agree that there are several films that qualify for best superhero film of all time, because if your a fan of Spider-Man, Iron Man or Batman, you have a legit claim to that title and it would be hard to disagree.

I loved the dark knight, great film but Iron Man's more enjoyable to watch because it wasn't so damn depressing.

Both are great, but TDK is just a costumed vigilante--which is great--but Iron Man is a true superhero movie and a really good one.

For me Iron Man has a slight edge.

This is honestly no contest

Iron man wins over TDK hands down.

Hmm...Iron Man's more fun than Dark Knight, but I think TDK is the better film.

But it easily trumps Begins.

I enjoyed Iron Man, but enjoyed the Dark Knight more. Just something about the Dark Knight that gripped me. But Iron Man is by far the best Marvel movie, and Marvel will have a job ahead of it trying to top the original, but I am very excited for IM2.

I'm biased being a Batman fanatic, but I will say this, IM was kickass! It had action and comedy, where TDK had action and drama. Both movies had things I thought could have been better...for example;

TDK - While there was an improvement on Rachel, I felt Dent/Two Face was kinda forced through. I disliked the non-perma white Joker, and personally I wanted to see the actual construction of the new suit, as opposed to just the pieces. I don't know why, but I just really am interested in how Batman builds his suits instead of just seeing the pieces then the completed suit.

IM - The final confrontation left something to be desired, but there was plenty of action throughout the movie to make up for it. I loved how Tony developed a social conscious of what Stark Industries was doing and how he wanted to change that. Once again, I'm about suits, so I loved when Tony was designing the Marks, and geeked out when he suited up in the Mark III.

I enjoyed Iron Man, but enjoyed the Dark Knight more. Just something about the Dark Knight that gripped me. But Iron Man is by far the best Marvel movie, and Marvel will have a job ahead of it trying to top the original, but I am very excited for IM2.

Yeah 2nd. Im a marvel kid but, when it comes to batman i just dont see anything marvel as competition. The story and characters of Batman are just way more interesting than anything marvel IMO

yeah. Cause honestly... Batman is the only DC character I dig.

Iron Man...well...considering how long it took to make the film, I say Jon, Robert and co did a awsome job. I was impressed with Robert's performance and I look forward to the sequel.

i'll put it this way anyone who dares to say heath is the reason for TDK's success can suck it. that is totally wrong. people wanted to see the joker not ledger. thats what they got. ledger was so dedicated to his role that he literally became the joker.

that said, TDK was and is in my eyes the best superhero flick out there to this date.

however, that said, IM was really good. as a matter or fact i would even dare say that IM was so good that its my 2nd favorite superhero movie. i cant wait for the second.

i wouldn't say IM is the greatest movie ever or better than TDK because there were some minor plot holes and not enough character analysis or character development. thats why i say IM is great and next to the best superhero flick but TDK has it beat in every category

^You're right in that it was the Joker's presence that added a couple hundred million $ domestic to TDK. It's also the reason that the next Batman film is all but guaranteed to make less since the Joker won't be in that one(most likely).

The Joker is still alive, Ledger isn't, I doubt there is a recast, but its possible. Heath was a good actor, but no one is irreplacable, especially considering its not a recast due to money/scheduling. The only plot hole for IM to me is..."what kept Tony's bones from shattering when he was blasted out of the sky?" If you remember when Dale Earnhardt Sr. died in the wreck it was said to be because hitting the wall basically cause trauma to his brain...Tony seemed to crash at a very accelerated rate, why didn't the same happen to him? Otherwise, everything we pretty great about IM...except the final showdown.

They are different films one is more fun the other more serious. Its a matter of taste. With the huge success of both films it just further enforces the notion of comic films being the dominant films in Hollywood.

Yes, this summer has proved that the comic book industry has taken over Hollywood.

Batman has always been my favorite superhero, with Iron Man being right up there amongst my top favorites. When it comes to the movies, however, I have to give the nod to Iron Man. TDK was good, but Iron Man was great! As a matter of fact, I thought that Batman Begins was much better than TDK. Oh well, either way it was a fantastic summer for superhero fans! (Also really enjoyed The Incredible Hulk).

^ I agree with you about thinking BB was better than TDK.All TDK had over BB was a better villain(Joker) but BB had the better story/better character arc for Batman. BB, IMO is still the best Batman movie to date. But then, I'm very partial to origin stories.

Last edited:
I find Iron Man incredibly derivative. I thought the villain was an absolute bore and I thought the entire thing relied too much on special effects rather than presenting anything original. Downey Junior was really good though - possibly better than Bale.

I enjoyed Iron Man, but it's not my kind of movie. I'd probably give it a 6/10, I'd give the Hulk a 7 or 8 /10 and TDK a 10/10. TDK falls right in line with my tastes. Much like Transformer's, I just don't get the hype behind Iron Man. I did only see it once, though, so I might warm up to it. I felt the same about X-Men when I first saw it and I really like it now.

Disregarding how much you enjoy them, I don't see how anyone can say that Iron Man is a better movie than TDK. It may be more enjoyable than some, but it lacks the maturity, depth and strong story of TDK. There were moments of TDK that literally blew you away and emotional moments which were incredibly resonating. Iron Man never had that.

TheScarecrow said:
It may be more enjoyable than some, but it lacks the maturity, depth and strong story of TDK. There were moments of TDK that literally blew you away and emotional moments which were incredibly resonating. Iron Man never had that.

Coming from a Batman fan...

TDK never had any real character development for its lead, which was an annoyance. Bruce sorta wants to give up being Batman, and then has a fleeting moment of brutality, and he tells the audience about both of these things, but then Rachel dies and the writers make him jump hurdles. TDK also doesn't have a "story" after the part in Hong Kong, just a series of clashes with the Joker--which fits he's an "agent of chaos"--as well as some rather forgettable subplots, one of which is never resolved and the other introduced to apparently waste time.

I do agree with the bolded part, but also want to stress that Iron Man's aim was not meant to be serious or emotionally resonant, but entertaining. Perhaps when Iron Man 2 comes out, and the writers have perhaps covered stories like "Demon In A Bottle," we'll be able to compare on that front.

The only "emotional" scene I found in IM was when Pepper was going to resign and Tony got upset because she was there the whole time he profited from warfare, but now that he's trying to make things right, she wanted to leave. Other than that brief scene when we see Tony stops thinking about himself and sees there is a greater need in the world, is the only emotional scene in the film...but there was plenty of comedy. There was like zero development for the Obediah/Monger final battle to me, and the actual fight seemed off....Tony had to learn to fly in the Mark II/III, but Obediah seemed to master control of the Monger in a matter of minutes.

I just didn't get blown away by TDK. Nor did I perceive any real pulling from mature, emotional moments. Frankly I don't think superhero movies should try to do that kind of stuff, it's not their thing. If I wanted deep, I'd watch a real drama. TDK peaked with the pencil trick scene. Both have plot holes but TDK's I could drive a Mack truck through. IM at least was entertaining and not depressing, which IMO is all one can expect from this childish, but entertaining genre.

TDK also doesn't have a "story" after the part in Hong Kong, just a series of clashes with the Joker--which fits he's an "agent of chaos"--as well as some rather forgettable subplots, one of which is never resolved and the other introduced to apparently waste time.

Yikes. Did you fall asleep after the Hong Kong scene? If you don't count Harvey Dent becoming Two-Face a story, I don't know what would reach that high standard in Iron Man to be considered plot. There is development there for Bruce, but I agree it's not the focus of the movie and it's one of several peeves I have with it. But it is there. The entire movie is about him accepting that he's Batman and that he's responsible for creating all of this. At the beggining of the movie he's trying to weasle out of everything, while at the end he's willing to take responsibility for not only Batman, but also Two-Face. It's subtle, but it's there. I do wish they'd focused on it more, though.

as well as some rather forgettable subplots, one of which is never resolved and the other introduced to apparently waste time.

Which subplots?

I had a better time watching IM than DK.

so YES I PREFER IT.

I love both movies, but I think I prefer The Dark Knight slightly more. After the hype of The Dark Knight died down a bit for me, I can now easily say that while I like The Dark Knight more, I do NOT think it blows Iron Man away. BOTH films deserve to be on the comic book movie A-list.

i was watching ironman the other day,and i think it was on the mark.part light hearted,part serious.rdj nailed it! everyone did.that said,the darknight was off the charts impressive (imo)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"