Iron Man Anyone prefer Iron Man over Dark Knight?

I must be one of the rarities on here who actually thinks out of the 2 Iron Man is the over-rated one. Now, I enjoyed Iron Man at the cinema, and through re-watches on DVD I have found it a VERY good movie, that does have re-watch value.

But it doesnt even get near the top 5 or even 7 for me, were as TDK is at the top of my list, and I am more of an Iron Man fan than a Batman one.

Iron Man was a very good film, although I don't think it stands up to TDK in terms of storytelling and character depth. I would say Ironman scores 8/10 with TDK scoring 9.5/10. Having said that, I would pay to go see both movies once again in the theatre despite having seen Ironman three times and TDK 5 times.

What a great summer it was for Superhero Flicks.

Well, the current issue of Wizard Magazine just crowned Iron Man the greatest superhero movie of all time. :im: :word:

TDK came in second. :yay:

^I often disagree with Wizard but here I happen to be in line with their thinking. I disagree with their #2 pick though. To me, The Incredibles is #2.

Wizard also labeled Wolverine as the no. 1 character in comic history. You do the math.

^True, that's why I said I often disagree with them. It's actually a rare thing when I do agree with them.

I just didn't get blown away by TDK. Nor did I perceive any real pulling from mature, emotional moments. Frankly I don't think superhero movies should try to do that kind of stuff, it's not their thing. If I wanted deep, I'd watch a real drama. TDK peaked with the pencil trick scene. Both have plot holes but TDK's I could drive a Mack truck through. IM at least was entertaining and not depressing, which IMO is all one can expect from this childish, but entertaining genre.

Not trying to sound like a prick, but what plot holes?

Because they're ultimately childish. Now hey, sometimes that's fun, but I expect better from Oscar nominees. Not that Oscar is completely pure, after all they did nominate Depp for POTC(a bad joke, IMO).

Read Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns.

So.. if they start a thread like this (anyone prefer TDK over Iron Man?) in the Batman forum.. what would be the results..? Pretty pointless, if you ask me :oldrazz:

The funny thing would be to start this same thread in the Batman forum..
That's because the Bat fans go to the Bat-forums and the Iron Man fans go to the IM forums.

And I'm sure most of the Iron Man fans are more behaved than the bat-fans.

You can say it isn't so but that doesn't change anything. TDK IS the greatest superhero movie ever made...critics and fans agree. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
You see, that's what I mean. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but to some TDK is NOT the greatest superhero movie ever. The fanboys over in the bat-forums get so worked up when someone says that.

Because they're ultimately childish. Now hey, sometimes that's fun, but I expect better from Oscar nominees. Not that Oscar is completely pure, after all they did nominate Depp for POTC(a bad joke, IMO).
Yeah because Superman being beaten to death is a fun comic:oldrazz:

You see, that's what I mean. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but to some TDK is NOT the greatest superhero movie ever. The fanboys over in the bat-forums get so worked up when someone says that.

While I DO happen to think that TDK is the best SH movie out there, I appreciate what you are saying, we all have differing opinions, and the fact is, not EVERYONE out there DOES think TDK is the best there is.

TDK is insanely overrated

fight scenes are sloppy, little contuinity between TDK and BB, the story really flops for me, first 2 acts are really boring, felt really held back and tried too hard to satisfy parents with pointless one liners like "now thats not good....Now thats REALLY not good *whiny voice*", and from a huge batman fan's view....the fact that NO batarangs are thrown brings it down by half a star

I love it when people try to state their own opinion as a FACT. I think the movie gets better each time I watch it. The only thing "overrated" to me about TDK is that so many people think it's considerably better than Batman Begins. I love them both. They are my two favorite movies ever. I think Begins is more flawed, but not enough to where it makes $325 million less at the North American box office than its sequel. Ledger's performance in TDK is quite possibly the best villain ever put on film. Amazing work that continues getting better every time I watch it.

TDK is not overrated. you guys use this word too much.
something is overrated when it doesn't deserve its praise, but TDK does. every little bit of it.

and to answer the question of the thread: no. at least I didn't.
I loved Iron Man, it's a movie I wanted to see since I was a little kid and I was pleased with what I got, but the TDK is still better, IMO (in my opinion, in case some of you STILL don't know).

the biggest mistake that they can make for iron man 2 is to make it to serious. IM should in nooooooooo way be serious like TDK.

RDJ owns the Stark role. the movie needs to be fun and a little crazy. pole in a plane? they start to dance? i dont have a problem with that. its all fun. if they will change this then i think they will fail.

IM is very good like TDK.

Yes, I do like Iron Man more than I like Dark Knight. I also like Hellboy 2 more than I like Dark Knight. I also like Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind more than any of those live action films.

Not to piss off any of TDK fans but I didn't get into that movie at all.My wife not a fan of comic book movies what so ever thought that Iron Man was a much better movie.

the biggest mistake that they can make for iron man 2 is to make it to serious. IM should in nooooooooo way be serious like TDK.

RDJ owns the Stark role. the movie needs to be fun and a little crazy. pole in a plane? they start to dance? i dont have a problem with that. its all fun. if they will change this then i think they will fail.

IM is very good like TDK.

I agree completely! I think that Iron Man and The Dark Knight are fantastic movies that deserve every bit of praise they get, but they're great movies for different reasons.

I just don't want to see Iron Man 2 trying to be like The Dark Knight. Heck, I don't want to see ANY other comic book movie trying to be The Dark Knight. I'm afraid that with TDK's success, movie companies are going to try to make super-serious comic book movies now (which just won't work). Now, do I want to see a comic book movie like Ghost Rider, which takes NOTHING seriously? Heck no. I don't want to be seeing someone like Spider-Man or Iron Man being super serious though (because they're more lighthearted characters in comparison to Batman).

Let's just say that I like my variety. :)

I did. And I'll be honest in saying, that a large part of that probably comes from the fact that Iron Man has always been one of my favorite characters, and while I've enjoyed the films and cartoons, I've never really gotten into Batman.

But both were still great movies and I think both will go down as classics of the genre.

IM has always been one of my favorites too. The thing about these two movies: they're both good.

Here's the facts:
I saw both twice in theatres. (TDK after a push from a friend the 2nd time)
I have watched TDK once since then and have no desire to do so again any time soon.
I have watched IM upwards of 9 times since then (every Fri night for a bit...^^"...then school got in the way)

I think that IM is the more enjoyable movie, plain and simple. Not to say that TDK isn't good, but IM is more enjoyable. To me.

I have a friend who refuses to like IM cause she hates that character with what seems like every fiber of her being...

That, and I LOVED BB, but to me TDK was not as good as BB and slightly overhyped.

Thought I should add something:
IM and TDK are very different films. I prefer films to have a lightheartedness to them, honestly. Which is why I prefer BB over TDK. And why I prefer IM over either. Another thing: I think Bale is a terrible Batman. Liam Neeson carried BB. Ledger and Eckhart carried TDK. I think RDJ is the perfect IM: it worked really, really well. But, then again, I've always liked Downey...

Last edited:
Both films are over-hyped, IMO. They were both good, enjoyable movies, but neither are great films. Since we're on the IM forum, I'll say that my major problem with Ironman is that things were far too easy for him, which kinda flies in the face of the original Marvel concept. It was supposed to be about a guy who has everything, and yet has to live in an iron prison. So his life isn't as enviable as it appears.

But in the film, you have from the very beginning, this guy skating through EVERYTHING. His chest gets blown open and yet he never seems to be in any pain. He builds next level technology in a cave for goodness sakes with no problem. He creates the greatest most advanced personal weapon and defense system in human history (He takes out an F-22 without trying. Imagine if he WAS trying) as though it were a hobby shop project. No suit malfunctions. No puzzling over how to make this thing work. And apparently it was all done for free. And I really didn't like the whole tossing around of the term "superhero". Especially since all of that followed the depeiction of young soldiers losing their lives. A superhero isn't someone with superior weaponry destroying lesser eneimes. A superhero is someone that puts it all on the line in the face of thier own mortality for the common good. Someone who's not simply super themselves, but faces superhuman odds and overcomes them. Stark is never in any real danger in the movie.

And there was the problem with the villain. Jeff Bridges was certainly good in the role. But what was the deal with Stane? Why on Earth would he want Stark dead, when as the story clearly illustrates, he can't do a damn thing without him?

There's no taking away from Downey's performance, which was great. And like I said, it was a fun movie. But this is not a watershed in comic movie history. I guess its just that there have been so many disappointments with comic films that one that's a smooth ride throughout seems like a a thing of pure gold.

I have watched TDK once since then and have no desire to do so again any time soon.

I watched Dark Knight only once, on IMAX. If anybody can't enough of that experience they need memory exercises.

Not trying to sound like a prick, but what plot holes?
Theres actually a lot. Some people defend TDK plot holes as interpretations of "movie magic", while I just see it as an obvious WTF moment.

-I wonder why they call him The Joker?: Joker is just standing in broad daylight waiting around for his ride to get to the bank. The car stops before he even puts his mask on, yet, nobody in the car got a look at him, and is wondering who The Joker is.:huh:

-Its all part of the plan: It doesn't even come close to making sense, and his reasoning keeps getting distorted. Refer to this for a chuckle, and for seeing how The Joker's plan doesn't make sense. http://www.cracked.com/article_16848_p2.html

-The Joker is locked away at the end, but his plan shouldn't succeed: The entire ending just made me go WTF, that doesn't even make sense! Dent went crazy, and started shooting everybody. The Joker "transformed" him, so The Joker cant win, cause Dent is the shining hope for all of Gotham.....But what about The Joker knowing, and Maroni, or Rameriz, or the other cops that had a 50/50s chance at living, that probably did as well? So now the title of the movie "The Dark Knight" is a waist, cause Batman shouldn't be on the run, because people DO know about Dent.

-Huh Rachel?: Why does Rachel ask how Dent is after her and Batman fell, when she clearly saw Bruce put him in the closet?

-Jokers bomb escape: How did the bomb kill everybody in the cop station, except for The Joker and Lau?

-The cops at the assassination attempt on the Mayor: You see a bunch of cops giving a salute to the old commissioner, yet, when The Joker and his goon fire one shot at the mayor, ALL of the cops that had guns drop them and run away scared. :huh:

-The mountain of money: Joker only kept half of the 68 million that Lau took. So you're telling me that a mountain that high and wide is 34 million dollars? Maybe 34 million in Ones, but thats still debatable in itself.

-Alibi: Wayne makes an alibi, by going on a cruise with all of the ballerinas. Ok, so they all decided to ditch out on their performance to go on a cruise? And Bruce only made an appearance, so its not to much of an alibi, also seeing as hes walking around Hong Kong in daylight right afterward.:huh:

-I don't' want to kill you, what would I do without you: The Joker claims he doesn't want to kill Batman, cause he's "to much fun", and he also claims Batman completes him. Well, why was he trying to kill Batman at the beginning of the movie? Then, The Joker thinks Dent is Batman, and makes a plan to kill him in the SWAT truck, yet, minutes afterwords, Batman completes him?

-Holding cell: Who in their right mind leaves a psychotic killer in a holding cell with just one guard, who happens to not have a gun.......inside the cell where the killer is?

It's movie magic! That's all you need to know!

Theres actually a lot. Some people defend TDK plot holes as interpretations of "movie magic", while I just see it as an obvious WTF moment.

-I wonder why they call him The Joker?: Joker is just standing in broad daylight waiting around for his ride to get to the bank. The car stops before he even puts his mask on, yet, nobody in the car got a look at him, and is wondering who The Joker is.:huh:

-Its all part of the plan: It doesn't even come close to making sense, and his reasoning keeps getting distorted. Refer to this for a chuckle, and for seeing how The Joker's plan doesn't make sense. http://www.cracked.com/article_16848_p2.html

-The Joker is locked away at the end, but his plan shouldn't succeed: The entire ending just made me go WTF, that doesn't even make sense! Dent went crazy, and started shooting everybody. The Joker "transformed" him, so The Joker cant win, cause Dent is the shining hope for all of Gotham.....But what about The Joker knowing, and Maroni, or Rameriz, or the other cops that had a 50/50s chance at living, that probably did as well? So now the title of the movie "The Dark Knight" is a waist, cause Batman shouldn't be on the run, because people DO know about Dent.

-Huh Rachel?: Why does Rachel ask how Dent is after her and Batman fell, when she clearly saw Bruce put him in the closet?

-Jokers bomb escape: How did the bomb kill everybody in the cop station, except for The Joker and Lau?

-The cops at the assassination attempt on the Mayor: You see a bunch of cops giving a salute to the old commissioner, yet, when The Joker and his goon fire one shot at the mayor, ALL of the cops that had guns drop them and run away scared. :huh:

-The mountain of money: Joker only kept half of the 68 million that Lau took. So you're telling me that a mountain that high and wide is 34 million dollars? Maybe 34 million in Ones, but thats still debatable in itself.

-Alibi: Wayne makes an alibi, by going on a cruise with all of the ballerinas. Ok, so they all decided to ditch out on their performance to go on a cruise? And Bruce only made an appearance, so its not to much of an alibi, also seeing as hes walking around Hong Kong in daylight right afterward.:huh:

-I don't' want to kill you, what would I do without you: The Joker claims he doesn't want to kill Batman, cause he's "to much fun", and he also claims Batman completes him. Well, why was he trying to kill Batman at the beginning of the movie? Then, The Joker thinks Dent is Batman, and makes a plan to kill him in the SWAT truck, yet, minutes afterwords, Batman completes him?

-Holding cell: Who in their right mind leaves a psychotic killer in a holding cell with just one guard, who happens to not have a gun.......inside the cell where the killer is?

You can nitpick the plotholes of any summer action movie, including The Dark Knight and Iron Man as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"