Anyone still feel Bale wasn't the right choice??

Discussion in 'Batman Begins' started by Shawn Wayne, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Phaser

Phaser Intellectual

Safe in the eyes of the fans maybe, but not the studio. Just dig around the archives for the bits and pieces of news and confirmed rumors before Bale was cast. You'll get the idea.

2. Cats

Cats Hot-blooded Feline

Actually I believe his cowl was a tad too tight making his face look puffy in the scene where he tells Gordon "Can you drive stick?" and when he saves Rachel and the little boy. I thought it fit quite well in the rest. The costuming dept has gotta pay attention more.

Why was it unneeded? I thought it was brilliant how he completely slipped into someone else's skin to throw off all suspicions. It's an aspect of Wayne that needed to be represented on screen, that he's not only a master detective, interrogator, and linguist (I enjoyed that scene where he spoke fluently in Mandarin) but also an incredible actor - it's further reinforced by Rachel Dawes who describes his face as his mask. Bale covered that with excellence, I love how he's able to switch from one mode to another in a split second when he bumps into Rachel at the hotel.

To be honest, I sorta missed Keaton's psychotic Batman at the beginning. But after like the 6th time of watching BB - oddly enough, I'm starting to view more of Bale Batman's psychotic side. Notice how even though he seems so well controlled and calm most of the time, there're moments where you start to wonder, like with his outbursts with Alfred and where he almost shoots Joe Chill. No one who's held a grudge for that long can exactly be of sane mind. Then he decides to lock himself up in a Bhutan prison to beat up inmates for a purpose he's unsure of himself till he's visited by Henri Ducard. How many people in the world do that when they have loved ones gunned down? In the real world he would've been easily classified as mentally disturbed. Then he goes back to Gotham, puts on a cape and a cowl and starts ramming cars off the street. He threads a thin line, dispensing what he believes is true justice, clinging onto what's left of a 'normal' life by the presence of Alfred and Rachel, deceiving himself that what he does is acceptable and neccessary. That's why I believe if Rachel is made to die in BB2, it'll cut the strings and then we might see more of the psychotic side of Batman that was represented by Keaton. At least I hope this will be explored in more detail then.

3. Nightwing1977

Nightwing1977 Want to see my mask??

Yeah. The studio wasn't sure on Bale, 'cause he's not a big name Hollywood star. They wanted Ashton Kutcher, which is a bad idea. He may be a big name star, but it doesn't mean he right for the part. I'm thankful WB let Nolan handle it his way, 'cause he gave us the best Batman ever in Bale. :up:

4. Bat Attack

Bat Attack Mirth

Ashton Kutcher as Batman...*shudders*

5. greyJester

greyJester Registered

*Tips Hat*

6. TheJuice

TheJuice Innocent

Dude, where's my Batmobile?

7. Dark Night II

Dark Night II Registered

Actually i think ashton kutcher would be perfect as batman. it would have been a far better movie that way? They should have connected to the other films. i mean, wasn't begins supposed to be a prequel to Batman '89???!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!! I mean, wasn't the Joker supposed to have killed his parents? dUH!
    aND EVEN If this Joe Chill giuy was in the film, they could have AT LEAST got tobey maguire to play him! I mean why is Batman so dark in this one. It's like he's a real Bat,swooping to pick up bad guys! skree!skree! I say Joel Schumacher was the best director because he had the coolest villains like brill mr.freeze and cool robin! If Christopher Nolan had made Batman and Robin he would have made Robin like a real robin! tweet!tweet! I mean, it's not like Batman is Dr. Dark! Jeez! BRING BACK BAT NIPPLES, they were the coolest thing about the batman films

8. raybia

raybia Signing off

Bale was the best casting of a superhero since the Christopher Reeve casting of Superman. In fact I suggested Bale to my friends when I first saw him in American Psycho.

I was completely shocked when Bale was casted because rarely does Hollywood make the obvious choice in casting, at least in this genre.

9. Super_Ludacris

Super_Ludacris Registered

He was like the unanimous choice over here from 2000-2003 but absolutley there probably was someone else out there. who knows

10. raybia

raybia Signing off

I disagree about Bale being the safe choice. The makes it sound as though Nolan sold out rather than get someone who he thought was the best choice for the role.

Bale was a very underrated actor and was a star in waiting. I'm sure Nolan knew this.

Him being a fan favorite was only a plus but I'm sure Nolan would have pushed for him regardless.

Being a relatively unknown, the studio didn't see Bale as a safe choice but rather as a risky one with no demostrated box office pull. Nolan had to sell him to the studio by letting WB know that the name Batman and the story itself was the real draw by pointing to another movie that WB did to prove his point: Superman the motion picture.

IMO Bale was the best choice to play the different dimensions of Bruce Wayne.

Bale is now starting to get his due with a series of interesting roles. I think it will be a matter of time before he is nominated for an Academy award.

Bale has arrived.

11. Bat Attack

Bat Attack Mirth

^well said.

12. Seen

Seen It's Been Seen

Hell no Bale wasn't the safe choice. At the time of casting he was obscenely underweight and his "star power" was limited -- he'd only done a few barely noticeable films such as AMERICAN PYSCHO and EQUIBILERIUM. In the theater Bale was recongizable enough to get some friends of mine saying "Wait, I've seen this guy before..."

But he was hardly the safe choice. WB could've hired a bankable actor or someone the ladies might've instantly loved (Jake Gyllenhaal anyone?) but because of Nolan's persistance Bale was cast. In ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY it is revealed that Nolan fought long and hard to get Bale cast, giving the studio photos of him buff to reassure them he could pull off the role. Not surprisingly Bale was Nolan's first choice even before the script was even written, at least according to the BEGINS DVD.

Was Bale was best choice? You're damn right he was. No one better holds all the key essentials and characterisitics to portray Bruce Wayne AND Batman better than Christian Bale. He's finally an actor who convincingly pulled off both roles -- in my opinion it was hard to imagine Keaton doing all of the stunts and fights with his physique, despite how good he was in the role.

And before he was cast he was the absolute fan favorite and when he was on September 11th, 2003, damn I will never forget the day, all fans thanked the movie gods. Movie gods named Christopher Nolan.

13. Cain

Cain Gentlebane

Who's talking about WB? I'm talking about the effects the fanbase had on Nolan's final decision. Yes the studio had their doubts but his pitch coupled with the fact that he gave the studio a critical hit (Insomnia) was why they trusted his judgement. His vision was in line with what the studio wanted to do, so in the end they knew that the only mandate they could really give him & Goyer was the love interest thing. I know Bale wasn't a huge draw I've seen all his films since 1999 at the cinema and the only one that drew a decent crowd was Shaft.

These cats knew what they were doing and WB knew it. Doesn't really matter who Nolan would've cast in the end. But I know that the way the fans spoke on Bale had an influence on his decision in giving the guy a screen test. Me saying Bale was a "safe" choice in no way cheapens the fact that he gave a great performance it's just me calling it how I see it. Nothing any of you tries to tell me will change that.

14. raybia

raybia Signing off

I respect the way "YOU" choose to see it, and I have no interest in trying to convince you otherwise. My statement was for others who may have accepted your opinion that Bale was the "safe" choice.

Bale was not a "safe" choice and Nolan did not pick Bale because of his internet fanbase.

Also it does matter who Nolan casted. Picking the wrong person could have had a disasterous effect on the performance of this movie.

15. patrickbateman

patrickbateman Registered

Bale IS Batman!

16. Cain

Cain Gentlebane

That is not a fact and neither is the opinion that he was a "safe" choice. Only Christopher Nolan truly knows the truth.

As for whether it matter who got cast or not, it's pretty much all up to the screen test. Aesthetics are just an added bonus. He could've easily cast Gylenhaal and with that script and direction people still would've bought it. I'm glad he cast Bale but to say that he was the perect choice is a little out there for me. Also I'm not saying Bale was cast because of the fanbase. I said that the fan's desire to see him don the cape & cowl had an influence on his casting. I'm sure his desire to work with Nolan and preparation for the role also had something to do with it. To think that Nolan & Goyer were not checking out the fan sites or communicating with DC (who always acknowledged the pre-BB Bale bat fan following) during pre-production is unrealistic. But hey I'll agree to disagree.

17. raybia

raybia Signing off

With Richard as your Avatar, how can I be mad at ya? :) :up:

18. super85

super85 Registered

I thought Bale was a great choice for the part, loved his performance, and can't see anyone else in the role now.

BALE DAMMIT! :batman: :up:

19. Duneboy

Duneboy ......incognito

Yeah, Bale did a great job. Also, Michael Keaton was awesome in the 1st 2 Burton films.

20. Cats

Cats Hot-blooded Feline

What's with this obsession with Jake Gyllenhaal? I'm a lady and I hate Gyllenhaal! I'm glad Bale was cast instead.

21. Two-Face

Two-Face Harvey Dent

Jake Gyllenhaal was David Goyer's choice but Nolan choose Bale. Hence Nolan was right.

22. Seen

Seen It's Been Seen

Yeah Gyllenhaal auditioned along with a slew of other actors. Even though Bale was the best and clearly his performance in BEGINS proved that, Gyllenhaal certainly would've been interesting. Sort of ironic -- Gyllenhaal was a contender to replace Tobey Maguire for SPIDER-MAN 2 when he complained of back problems and allegedly was also up for Superman in McG's film.

Kid can't seem to get a break. However, he was very good at playing a gay cowboy. ;)

23. ChrisBaleBatman

ChrisBaleBatman Legendary Hero

Nah......I don't buy it man. Bale was not a top liner.....still isn't, so he wasn't the safe choice for the studio. Nolan was searching for the RIGHT actor......and I think Bale is just it. But, I don't think he was the safe choice simply b/c there were a few things that could have screwed Nolan over badly, like Bale's weight and physical condition being one.

I just think Bale had it man, for the fans it may have seemed safe.....but I just don't think anyone else out there can pull it off.

Yeah, I remember Ashton Kutcher was BATMAN officially leaked by a couple sites....which very much had me spooked. In fact, I think Bale's announced cast choice kinda came out of left field b/c I think the rumor mill was heavy on Kutcher. Which makes me laugh, cuz it appears that Bale was the no. 1 choice all along.....making me happy to hear.

Looked fine to me. I think the cowl being so tight makes sense.....trying to make it more a part of his face and monster like. I actually like the fact that Batman looks NOTHING like Bruce under the cowl.....really great.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Absolutely. The playboy party animal is needed......Afred explains WHY in the scene where Bruce drops down to do pushups. It's the reason why "Bruce Wayne" (not the man, but the image) is the mask......b/c it keeps the public, the police, the media and everyone else out of Wayne's way and not to discover his other persona.

Pretty much.....think of it like it this. Let's say Paris Hilton was a vigilante at night.....we'd never know cuz she's a total air head and seems to do nothing but part all the time. Obviously, she's not......but her public image has us perceive her as so. So, imagine if that's why Bruce acts like a part animal....people would never even guess he's a dedicated crime fighter at night.

Ya know.....I'm kinda not for the psyhco Batman. I'm a fan of Jeph Loeb's take.....and he's more of a sane dude there. However, I think if BB2 could sort of touch upon what BATMAN FOREVER attempted to do, which was having Bruce fall into his abyss and sort of losing his identity and stuff...that would be great. Sort of like watching Bruce struggle to maintain his sanity would be fun to see, if done right.

Yeah, I know. But you gotta remember....some of the guys in suits cannot tell the difference. Lets just thank our lucky stars that Kutcher didn't get it.

I dunno........unknown, probably. But, there probably is someone out there that could have pulled off a Michael Keaton.......but that's like hitting the lottery man......we cannot really count that cuz we can't see it coming really.

24. The Guard

The Guard Registered

Bale was clearly not a "safe choice" in terms of his condition going into BEGINS production. The main reason WB wasn't sure about him was because of his size at the time of his screentest. However, before that, WB was pretty gung-ho about the possibility of Wayne as Batman. Bale had been mentioned in regard to the role since 2001 (and the era of Aronofsky's YEAR ONE). There was some talk that Aronofsky's eyeing of Bale was what got him noticed by Nolan. Bale's been one of the main choices for a long time, and I think everyone knew it. The other thing there was a lot of talk about was that in the end it came down to being Batman or a possible shot at James Bond for Bale. The only question was could be bulk back up for the role.

Anyway, having seen MUNICH tonight, I think Eric Bana would have made a hell of a good Bruce Wayne. And he has displayed, in his last few films, many of the same mannerisms as Christian Bale brings to his roles.

25. Seen

Seen It's Been Seen

You mean Bale as Batman?

I'm not sure it was the only question, but that's a good theory.

Bana is more extrovertive, where Bale internalizes a lot which makes him a supreme choice for Wayne/Batman. In my opinion Bana would've made a great middle-aged Superman. He's not exactly prime Batman material.