Batman Begins Anyone thinks Nolan's films are Frank Miller's vision?

Hordakfan

Civilian
Reaction score
I mean obviously there's Year One for Begins and Dark Knight Returns for Dark Knight Rises. TDK was influenced by alan moore's Killing Joke/Long Halloween.

Nolan has made Frank Miller's unique darker representation on the big screen a reality especially Alan Moore's take.

Not entirely. No. They have elements of Miller in it, but Batman in Nolan's films is a much more even individual than the borderline psychopath of Batman Year One who seems to be a thin glass sheet away from completely breaking. NolanBat's relative nobility puts him closer to the brooder with a heart of gold of Jeph Loeb's Run. I see elements of Denny O'Neil as well.

It's like every Batman movie made after 1987 has some Frank Miller in it.

TDK Rises did borrowed from Knightfall, Dark Knight Returns (retiring for 8 years and returning) and No Man's Land.

And do you see Alan Moore elements as well?

Nolan's Batman is actually more an inspiring super hero than Snyder's (or was it still Nolan's) Superman was so no, it isn't Miller's crazy Bat version.

Nope, hardly.

The Dark Knight Returns Batman actually had a split personality and a real Batman persona. The Nolan Batman put on a mask to become Batman, the Miller versions were Batman. I love when Bruce is down in the cave and realizes that he shaved off the mustache. Or when the Batman personality starts to take hold and emerge when he's seeing all the crime on television and the bat crashes through the window for a second time like an omen. Even Year One Batman had this complex, talking to his father's statue.

I have no problem with a Batman that's a heroic psychopath with a dark edge. While I love the Nolan Batman for the most part (save for TDKR, which I despise), I don't really like that he's this speech spewing, symbol of "hope". Sure, I guess you could say he's inspiring, but as a dark hero, that sort of Batman doesn't interest me. I don't think Batman should necessarily stand for hope more than he is a symbol born out of crime and despair. I like the idea that Gotham really is beyond saving and not even Batman can stop it, but he still fights it because he's compelled to and it acts as a sort of catharsis. Eliminating crime should be his obsession. Let's face it, peace is a pipe dream. There is no such thing as a crime free city, I prefer a Batman that goes out every night with the intent of symbolically avenging his parent's death by targeting all crimes to the point of obsession. The imagery and dynamic of a child making an oath to his dead parents swearing to eliminate crime is a lot more powerful and compelling to me than being a symbol for the people (other than striking fear into the hearts of criminals). That sort of seemed cheesy to me, I prefer a darker, edgier Batman that's cynical, hopeless and takes matters into his own hands, not one that's looking for others to take up the baton.

He has the voice Robin described in issue 2 or 3 of All Star Batman & Robin, or trying to do it
And some bits here and there from Year One inspiring some bits in Batman Begins
As Tacit Ronin said, Nolan's Batman is not the psycho Miller made

There's elements definitely but I think it has more to do with story than character. I feel the character is more like the Jeph Loeb style.

This is why I think when they reboot Bats for this Batman vs Superman movie, we're gonna get the full blown psycho Miller Bats who is in his 40s and who has battled all his rogues at least once. Josh Brolin would fit that nutcase obsessive, seasoned Batman perfectly.

Nolan's Batman was a mix of quite a few different Batman's. But the Frank Miller inspiration was more based in story I think.

There's a lot of Frank Miller "dressing" on the character, but it's not the real meat and potatoes of it.

The fact that we have bookending stories partially inspired by Year One and Dark Knight Returns, and the fact that the Batmobile was more tank-like are the main influences of Miller on the series, I feel.

There's a lot of Frank Miller "dressing" on the character, but it's not the real meat and potatoes of it.

The fact that we have bookending stories partially inspired by Year One and Dark Knight Returns, and the fact that the Batmobile was more tank-like are the main influences of Miller on the series, I feel.
The dessert maybe too, and thats what lasts longer in memories.

The creative team incorporated elements of TDKR and Year One, but the vision of the film is not Frank Miller. Miller does not see the light in people; cynicism has eroded him into a hateful person. Nolan, on the other hand, sees good in people and tests it, in his films.

There's a bit more than that I'd say. The fake Batmen in Knight took a clear inspiration from the criminals inspired by Batman in Dark Knight Returns, and there are a few characters that, while reworked in various ways, are also traced back to Miller's books, namely Flass (from the character of the same name in Year One) and Foley (who's very similar to Ellen Yindel from DKR).

And do you think Nolan and Miller made Batman cool again after being campy?

I mean obviously there's Year One for Begins and Dark Knight Returns for Dark Knight Rises. TDK was influenced by alan moore's Killing Joke/Long Halloween.

Nolan has made Frank Miller's unique darker representation on the big screen a reality especially Alan Moore's take.

Without any question Nolan stole or was "inspired" many of Miller's scenes / storylines in TDKR.

-TDKR and Dark Knight Returns have the same storyline. Old Bats returns, "dies". Off note: Nolan's movie seems like a mashup / selective picking and choosing of Batman stories--which is kind of justified because one is "being true to the comics". What an easy job!

-Veteran cop & rookie cop chase bad guys, Batman comes on the scene--Vet cop backs off "you're in for a treat".

-Bane / mutant leader parallel-- the entire "fighting like young man" idea / narrative, "speed, ferocity" description.

There's more but I can't remember.

It's not stealing. It's film. If it was a comic book and they were taking exact scenes from a past graphic novel, then it would be stealing because it's already been done in that medium. Comic book movies are adaptations. They cherry pick from the source material then add their own touch. Every single Batman movie or CBM.

With that said..

There's a lot of Returns in Rises. Especially the first half of the story.

The basic ideas in the backbone of Bruce's arc in Rises are taken verbatim from DKR. From the years of retirement to faking his death. But Nolan went about executing it in his own way.

The basic ideas in the backbone of Bruce's arc in Rises are taken verbatim from DKR. From the years of retirement to faking his death. But Nolan went about executing it in his own way.
goddamnright.gif

I think there's less black and white morality in the Nolan movies than Miller's comics. Dent and Bane had sound grounding for their grievances. Their methods in dealing with those grievances were anything but sound. So you can see why and even sympathize, but you can't condone, what they're doing. Miller, especially in DKR, doesn't give you that kind of grey morality.

I believe so based on what was said by FM at a CC convention I was at

I think Nolan Bat films influenced by Frank Miller's books as well other authers too. I wouldn't say the films are based on them.

300 and Sin City are about as close to pure Frank Miller you can get when it comes to films. I haven't seen The Spirit, but that's Frank's interpretation of someone else's work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"