Apocalypse Now: Theatrical or Final Cut ?

LvtLeeTDK

Fullmetal Alchemist
Reaction score
I'm writing a final essay for my college course about the book Heart of Darkness. Before starting out, I'm planning to see Apocalypse now first. I have the theatrical version but since it's not in my mother tongue, I have to watch it in English subtitle and it's really hard to follow the movie, so I'm thinking about switching to the Final Cut of the movie since that one have Vietnamese's subtitle.

So which one do you think is the better movie ? And if you have read the book, which one is more representative of the book ? Thanks.

Theatrical Cut is the best. Redux destroys the pacing. The Final Cut is a better balance of the Theatrical Cut and Redux, but I still say the theatrical cut is the definitive version. In my opinion, the theatrical cut is possibly the greatest movie ever made.

I haven't seen The Final Cut, but the original cut is one of my favorite movies of all time. I think the pacing is perfect and still conveys that surreal quality they're going for. Slowing it down for more scenes to make it more surreal doesn't really help that. I appreciate the scenes in Redux, but it's not the same.

Redux is this sprawling epic that I love. Theatrical cut is the classic. Final Cut is neither (though those unhappy with Redux might find it better paced while still keeping the goods from Redux), so... I'd recommend to go for the theatrical cut.

Just finished the movie and it completely flew over my head, especially the last 40 minutes. Most of the movie did not make sense for me, it’s knda pointless. Will rewatch it tomorrow

Last edited:
Just finished the movie and it completely flew over my head, especially the last 40 minutes. Most of the movie did not make sense for me, it’s knda pointless. Will rewatch it tomorrow

I take it you haven’t read Heart of Darkness.

I take it you haven’t read Heart of Darkness.
You don't need to. I never read it either.
------
Let it settle for a couple days. Maybe read a few examinations/critiques, then go back for more. The first watch is like learning how to watch it. Now that you know what it is, you can set any expectations aside and try to get on its wavelength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"