Apple announces RCS support coming to the iPhone in 2024

XtremelyBaneful

xoxxxoooxo
Reaction score

Breaking news! Months after the iPhone 15 launches with USBC, Apple now confirms RCS support for the iPhone coming next year. This means that texting between iOS and Android will become much more improved. Typing indicators, read receipts, and higher quality picture and videos.

Now we can all chat and react to each other... without installing another app.

Now we can all chat and react to each other... without installing another app.
precisely! here is to hoping Apple launches this sooner rather than later. I don't want to wait a whole year. Since Google & GSMA are helping out, I expect this to be done in Q1 or Q2 next year.

I agree with this here, but I don't see Apple budging any earlier than they have to. If anything, I see RCS getting delayed.

I agree with this here, but I don't see Apple budging any earlier than they have to. If anything, I see RCS getting delayed.
The federal government are launching investigations of monopolistic practices on Apple, so they may be forced to implement it sooner than later.

RCS better come soon to iOS users so I can finally drop the unlimited messages option from my plan thus saving me 4 ****ing dollars per month. Yes, that's a whooping $48 a year!

RCS better come soon to iOS users so I can finally drop the unlimited messages option from my plan thus saving me 4 ****ing dollars per month. Yes, that's a whooping $48 a year!
iOS users need to learn there are other ways to message than iMessage, but they'll all say they're "too sketchy". 🙄

iOS users need to learn there are other ways to message than iMessage, but they'll all say they're "too sketchy". 🙄
I had iPhones and Android phones and I think they're both dope. but the thing about iMessage is that when I used it on my iPhone I felt like instead of feeling like this Apple product belonged to me, I felt like I belong to Apple.

gotta give iMessage credit for its fluid text-conversation capabilities, they just gotta enable RCS so that it doesn't make it seem like Android users are the problem (it's Apple)

ohhhhhh, man. if it's coming in the fall, then it might as well come with the next iOS update. fall is when new iPhones are released. if Apple was gonna be forced to release it earlier, I thought we were talking Q2 or early Q3.
Pretty much what most speculated. It's going to be a feature in iOS 18 and probably given a new name like "Enhanced Messaging" and claim with it even your standard texts are just as secure as if they came from an iPhone.

Pretty much what most speculated. It's going to be a feature in iOS 18 and probably given a new name like "Enhanced Messaging" and claim with it even your standard texts are just as secure as if they came from an iPhone.
I guess this means Apple getting sued for antitrust won't help in getting it expedited :weary:

Learning there are Android users who don't like RCS because of Read Receipts.

Learning there are Android users who don't like RCS because of Read Receipts.
as @Gee said, read receipts can be easily turned off. it's the same exact thing with iMessage, actually. when I had an iPhone I had read receipts turned off then too. in fact, RCS has one extra level of user preference because you can also turn off typing indicators which is something you cannot do with iMessage.

someone on MKBHD's podcast brought up an important point:

it's supposed to be timestamped at 11:55 in case it didn't work. but basically, the general consensus is that Apple is going to do the bare minimum with implementing RCS and therefore won't even change the color of the bubbles from green to another color. but the problem therein lies: if that's the case, then there will be no differentiation between SMS and RCS chats.

now the most obvious answer is: Apple doesn't care and won't change it. but the thing with that is, the whole reason they are implementing RCS is because of governmental pressure of stopping them from becoming a monopoly. so if they are purposely doing the bare minimum just to bank on their customers not even noticing a difference so the needle is not moved, then wouldn't the powers that be step in to say they need to do more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"