Appreciating Bane Just for Being Amazingly Weird

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by rogbngp, Nov 14, 2015.

1. rogbngp

rogbngp DCEU supporter

(Disclaimer: Although I grew up with Silver Age/Bronze Age (mainly Silver) comic books that is my only exposure to comics, and I'm mainly a film guy. So I don't know anything about the comic book Bane but what I have read on Wikipedia and various wikis after viewing the film.)

One of the main things I enjoy in The Dark Knight Rises is that Bane is so completely 'out there' as a character. Yes, his voice is goofy. Even to the point that makes me laugh almost involuntarily at how outrageous it is. But to me that sort of eccentricity adds to the insanity of the character. This is, for me, one of the most original characters I have ever seen on the silver screen.

[​IMG]

Thank goodness he is a fictional character! Obviously he would be a truly vile human being if real. But as a creative work of fiction he stands out. I love what Tom Hardy did with him.

Bane reminds me that there are a number of characters in film that I have stumbled across that I found myself marveling at how sort of off-the-wall and gonzo they are. In some cases the eccentricity is more subtle than others. But they were all sort of charismatically weird and offbeat, if not blatantly off-the-wall. Some were morally good, some bad, and often they were mixed bags. Here's my own personal rogue's gallery for this type of character (in addition to Bane):

Lee Clayton (Marlon Brando) in Missouri Breaks

[​IMG]

Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz) in Django Unchained

[​IMG]

Hellboy (Ron Pearlman) in Hellboy

[​IMG]

Marv (Mickey Rourke) in Sin City

[​IMG]

Rocket Raccoon (Bradley Cooper) in Guardians of the Galaxy

[​IMG]

Rorschach (Jackie Earle Haley) in Watchmen

[​IMG]

And I could probably think of more, but that gets the idea across hopefully. That selection may be a bit broad, but what I like about all those characters is the sheer boldness of their originality and quirkiness. I had never seen anything like them before.

Again, for me Bane falls into this type of just grandly bizarre character type.

Is it wrong or naive of me to enjoy the character as not bound by having to mirror the one in the comic books?

#1 rogbngp, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  2. shauner111

shauner111 Registered

Not at all.

I grew up with Knightfall Bane from the 90's, and all i cared about was that it was more true to his character (not the look) than what Shumacher did. I wanted to take him serious at times and not hear him speak like a dumbass with zero vocabulary like BOMMMMMMMB! As a fan of Hardy going into the movie, and a Nolan fan, i knew he would be intimidating and put on a great voice. At times it's funny and other times, especially when it's not his ADR voice, it's scary.

He sounded like a mad scientist with a hint of Darth Vader. But hearing a smart mad scientist voice come out of a brute felt original. He's a weird looking and sounding villain and i love it.

3. rogbngp

rogbngp DCEU supporter

Hah, that 'rogue's gallery' are all "big guys" re: their originality and quirkiness. :word:

#3 rogbngp, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015