Aquaman Box Office Thread

Discussion in 'Aquaman' started by writer0327, Dec 23, 2017.

?

What will Aquaman's worldwide box office be?

1. Over $900M

2. $800-900M

3. $700-800M

4. $600-700M

5. $500-600M

6. Under $500M

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Juan1193 Registered

Considering how much JL made in foreign box office, I sincerely doubt that is the ceiling. Unless it crashes and burns domestically (talking under 100M) that won't happen.

Should have a healthy overseas take considering its competition is a nanny most of the world doesnt care about and a Transformers movie that seems to be lacking in spectacle. Plus looking at box office history, 4/5 DCEU films have crossed 400M+ overseas (MOS being the exception at 377).

Aquaman will more than likely cross 200M+ domestic, as even JL and MOS managed that. The holidays should also help it out in that regard. I'd say the floor is 600M, going by past history.

PS: You can't compare MCU and DCEU films at the box office and use said comparison to predict how a new MCU/DCEU release will do because the two have completely different box office patterns.

harlequinade and Black Narcissus like this.
  2. harlequinade DayGirl

There's a silly but informative thing going around the twitter - retweet for Aquaman, like for Poppins

Poppins leads 2 to 1

3. Micromind New World New Rules

I doubt anyone in Asia cares for Mary Poppins and I think it will do average business in countries like Brazil, Mexico and Argentina. Only places it will do very well is in US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK and Europe.

Limonade likes this.
  4. Juan1193 Registered

To be fair, it's a lot easier to like than to retweet. I've never seen a tweet with more retweets than likes lol

If we go by trailer views, neither Mary Poppins trailer has exceeded 10M views (highest is the teaser at almost 8M after 6 months). Whereas Aquaman is at almost 40M after 2 months. For comparison Bumblebee is at 22M (after 3 months), Alita is almost at 10M (after 2 months), Mortal Engines is at 11M (after 3 months). So we'll see...

5. Blitzkrieg Registered

6. NotNickFury Registered

The holidays, whether Thanksgiving or December, aren't about to get less crowed anytime soon, I'm sure, than they already are.

7. harlequinade DayGirl

Let's be honest here.

Steve Carell and dolls is easily winning this battle :D

8. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Steve Carell is a born winner.

9. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Steve Carell is a born winner.

Manasrepublic likes this.
  10. FunkMiller Failed Experiment

All fair enough, but I still think the floor is probably 500 million. All depends on if people want to come out for the movie, after Justice League, and if it has good wom or not.

11. Blitzkrieg Registered

12. Greenlite Registered

The true winner of the x-mas holidays

watch out Spidey

13. Blitzkrieg Registered

So Alita moved out of it's Dec 21 spot & nao it'll release on Feb 14, 2019.

But that's not all as Fox is scheduled to release a PG-13 version of Deadpool 2 on Dec. 21.

I think this situation suits Aquaman. Alita: Battle Angel was the wildcard among the December blockbusters and it was also the only viable competition for Aquaman with regards to IMAX & PLFs (Mortal Engines looks DOA while Bumblebee will hafta pay for the sins of the Bayformers). Aquaman will have more breathing room in it's scheduled spot with Alita moving out.

#88 Blitzkrieg, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  14. Micromind New World New Rules

Is it a good thing for Aquaman ? Alita would have posed little threat to Aquaman instead of a re-release of Deadpool 2 (PG-13 version with few new scenes.). Fox have already made their money from DP 2, so they don't stand to loose money if DP 2's re-release undeperforms as they are making extra money here. Aquaman is facing stiff competition it seems to me they every Studio is playing extremely smart except WB.

From Deadline article -

15. BaelaTargaryen Registered

16. Blitzkrieg Registered

Usually Hollywood movies or other imported movies are released at a later date (w.r.t US release date) in China. So this is a surprising move from WB.

It's also a bold move since they'll be compelled to lift the embargo on the social media reactions & reviews much earlier than their standard routine. But it does show confidence in the movie.

But it could very well be that WB just wants to release it early to give the movie a solid head-start before MPR & BB (potential breakouts in the making in China) rolls around just before Christmas.

#91 Blitzkrieg, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  17. Zyraquis Registered

Come on if that Venom movie can make 600m+ WW this is at least 700m I think. It’s just a matter of whether the competitions will stop it from hitting 800m

18. harlequinade DayGirl

Very different cases. People love Hardy. I love Jason more than all the people who love Hardy combined but I am just one tiny girl :funny:

People even went to see Dunkirk for him even though he is not even lead there. Meanwhile there's still asinine perception that Jason is a bad actor. His imdb page is filled with flops. Granted Hardy has some too but even his flops have strong writing so the man always delivers amazing, highly entertaining and acclaimed performances. Jason has been in plenty of duds only I find watchable.

Also the character is tarnished by association to Justice League.

frankgutz likes this.
  19. Zyraquis Registered

Yeah Venom has Hardy, but in its wet corner, this will trump him with....

— Jason’s shirtless body, which alone should be nominated for the best costume design
    — Amber’s cleavage. Maybe this one should be nominated instead....
    These two combined already cover a lot of bases, be it hetero or homo

Plus:
    — Nicole “I won’t touch the script unless it says Oscar bait on the cover” Kidman
    — Willem “hey it’s Jesus!” Dafoe
    — A director whose recent movie just earned a figure with a lot of zeroes in China

... and Dolph freaking Lundgren, okay only certain niche people of my gen consider him a thing.

Sony as a brand from what I heard is tainted and Venom says: really? People will get over Justice League and flock to this. I’m quite confident about the box office more so than the quality. :D

Blitzkrieg likes this.
  20. Micromind New World New Rules

WB tried their best to make Justice League movie a bland experience, which is bound to have certain negative impact on Aquaman. Consider what we would be looking at had JL managed to get that "Fresh Tomato rating" and earned close to 1 billion, Aquaman would have received a tremendous boost.

21. BaelaTargaryen Registered

Box Office Pro long range tracking

https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-tracking-mary-poppins-returns-aquaman-bumblebee/

They predict 175m domestic.

22. Juan1193 Registered

23. Greenlite Registered

While SR s***ed on AM and BB and called WB/paramount poor, and deliberately left out Mary Poppins, AM actually wins the projection battle lol

AM 40-60M
    Mary P 30-50M
    BB 15-25M

I think they'll all do fine but I wonder is AM getting more appeal to the general audience thanks to Wan's sensibility and BB is getting good buzz among fans and geeks but not really with GA?

24. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah, no way Iron Man 3 would have made what it did without coming directly after Avengers.

25. BaelaTargaryen Registered

https://pro.boxoffice.com/trailer-impact-11-1-18/