Spoilers Aquaman & Shazam!

Spoilers

JJAbramsHater09

Civilian
Reaction score
You don't have to sell me on these films, because I am interested to see how well they hold up as an experience in my Home Theater, but I do wanna ask this: do you like these films better than the butchered Justice League film, they gave us? Or is it the other way around?

I enjoyed both of them, Aquaman more so because of it's scope and scale - it has much more potential for an expanded universe of it's own making. Shazam was more of a fun popcorn flick, but equally, worked quite well.

Both films were, in my opinion, better and more coherent than either Dawn of Justice, or Justice League itself.

Aquaman was better than Justice League, Shazam was worse IMO

All are worse than BVS UE

Anything is better than Justice League in its current form. The original vision, jury's out on that one, but compared to what we got in theaters? Aquaman and Shazam!, for my money, are more rewatchable than JL right now.

For me Justice League is by far the lowest point of the DCEU (I haven't seen Shazam!)

Man of Steel ~ really liked it
Batman v Superman ~ liked it
Suicide Squad ~ pretty poor
Wonder Woman ~ loved it
Justice League ~ Dreadful. Loathed what we ended up with. Will never rewatch it. Just keep thinking what might have been...
Aquaman ~ loved it

You don't have to sell me on these films, because I am interested to see how well they hold up as an experience in my Home Theater, but I do wanna ask this: do you like these films better than the butchered Justice League film, they gave us? Or is it the other way around?

OF COURSE they're both MUCH BETTER than the fraggin' Frankenstein monster that it "Justice League," which barely registers as a movie to me. I don't think I will ever have the stomach to rewatch that glued-together crap. They did a much better job recutting TV series episodes into little 'direct to video movies' in the 1980s and 1990s than they did with this half-assed abortion they cut together using footage from Zack Snyder and a hungover Joss Whedon (on an SNL skit budget).

Last edited:
Aquaman was pretty good. Great action scenes and visuals, complemented by a great cast. Its only fault was the forced humor, clearly shoehorned through reshoots.

Shazam was a mediocre, forgettable movie. No memorable action scenes, wrong characterizations and childish jokes. The only good things to come out from this movie were Asher Angel as Billy Batson...and Michelle Borth using a spandex suit.

If I had to choose between Shazam and Josstice League, I would go with the latter. Because, despite everything, it at least had some few memorable action sequences.

Anything, literally ANYTHING is better than JL or BvS. But Shazam is much, MUCH better and Aquaman is a mess but still a lot more enjoyable than any of that Batfleck/Snyder trash.

I haven’t seen Shazam yet.
If you asked me this after I saw Aquaman the first time? I would’ve given you a huge YES.
I liked it far less the second time I watched it though. There’s things that I just REALLY don’t like about it.
I’d put it only slightly above JL.

Yeah, Aquaman is overrated. The Honest Trailer kinda hit all the problems with the movie, and even they could have gone harder on it. I liked it and the visuals were stunning but in terms of story/acting/direction, it bounces back and forth between "pretty good" and "cringey." Still, I'd watch it a hundred times before I'd sit through JL or BvS again.

Okay buddy here's my take:

Man of Steel: not perfect but I loved it, re-watch it often !

Batman vs Superman: it's crap, the first 2 hours are so bad that by the time you get go the end and Superman nobly sacrifices himself, you're just glad the movie is over.

Wonder Woman; surprisingly good, and the biggest surprise is that Gal Gadot is indeed wonderful in the lead - the supporting cast not so much.

Justice League: it's not good but I've seen a lot worse, and nowhere near as aggravating as B v S. A few good moments.

Aquaman: Some fun action sequences. Jason Momoa is fun in the lead, the background plot is a bit convoluted. Honestly I enjoyed it, but found the vast cgi battle a bit much. Good fun and worth a watch but nothing special. A big, dumb, fun movie.

Shazam: Okay, here DC hits it's stride at last. A brilliant combination of humour and action. The supporting cast ( of kids) is great, and Mark Strong makes the bad guy entertaining. Easily the best film in the so-called DCEU by a wide margin.

Aquaman Really good fun and straight up a visual extravaganza. I think when someone says that the visuals are the best part of the movie people think its gonna suck but really its just that the visuals here are so good at times I sort of zoned out of the story just to look at what was on screen. The story is good not great and does have a few moments that feel like they could have been cut. Momoa was a better all round actor than I expected. 8/10

Shazam I would have never thought that of all the characters DC have introduced so far that Shazam would be one of my favorites but it was fantastic. Its like if you took Superman and Big and squashed them together to create some new hybrid movie. Because of the fact its a family movie it worked well with pretty much every demographic I have seen with kids loving it, same as adults and the family moments didn't come as cheesy to me anyway. So far of all the DCEU films they've done if I could just tell you to watch one id recommend this above all else. 9/10

Even as a fan of MOS and BvS, Aquaman and Shazam were a step in the right direction. Hopefully the likes of Joker can continue that.

I admit I am nervous about BOP though.

I have enjoyed all the DC movies (with the exception of Suicide Squad.) That said, it is nice to see them getting a little more popular following with movies like Aquaman and Wonder Woman. I hope SHAZAM catches the same sort of following along with its digital release.

I thought this announcing a team up flick. Damn you. :argh:

I have enjoyed all the DCEU films.

Wonder Woman is my favorite. Its probably my favorite superhero in the last 10 years, together with Avengers End Game .

The Snyder stuff is frustrating because in both MoS and BvS there is some truly great stuff in it and I love Cavill, Affleck and Gadot. But those film have some really weird choices and flaws in Them and I can understand why they Arent for everyone.

Suicide Squad is a mess. A entertaining mess but Still a mess. I thought Ayer and Affleck did very well with the Short Batman /Bruce Wayne stuff in it.

Justice League is almost like a generic direct to video DC animated film. Its not that awful, but it isnt good either.

Aquaman is very entertaining and it was a awesome cinematic experience. The story is rather thin and its often just silly dumb fun. But it is fun.

Shazam is a charming movie. I am sure I would have loved it if I was 10-11 years old. I enjoyed it as a adult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"