Riverdale Archie Comics Signs Development Deal With Warner Bros. TV

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...deal-warner-bros-tv-975805?utm_source=twitter
Everything's coming up Archie.

In the wake of the launch of Riverdale on the CW, Archie Comics has signed an exclusive deal with Warner Bros. Television to develop more of the publisher's properties for television and original content.

As Archie CEO Jon Goldwater tells The Hollywood Reporter, the deal extends beyond the traditional Riverdale crew of Archie, Betty and Veronica as seen in the current CW series. It could include lesser-known properties, including "America's Queen of Pin-Ups and Fashions" Katy Keene, as well as the superheroes of the company's Dark Circle imprint.
The basic concept of Archie (and his pals and gals) is one that feels like a no-brainer for adaptation into other genres: it's a good guy in high school and his friends. You can go anywhere with that. But the comics had settled into one aesthetic, even while playing with things like Time Police or whatever. Was there ever a time when you worried that the characters were being pushed too far for the audience to follow?

As long as the story is good, obviously, and as long as the characters are true to themselves — you can do anything with them. The Archie in Afterlife and in the new Archie series is the same Archie you see in other comics. Sure, the content can change, but at its heart, that’s Archie. Same goes for Riverdale on TV. And that’s what unites fans. There was a time when Archie Comics only produced a certain kind of book. So, once you grew out of those books, you had nowhere to go. So you’d move on to different stuff from different publishers. That’s not the case anymore.

Outside of the core Archie characters — or satellite properties like Sabrina or Josie and the Pussycats — the company has a number of other properties in its portfolio: Li'l Jinx, Katy Keene, the Dark Circle characters. Are there plans to bring any of these into production as part of the new deal?

It’s part of the plan. Archie is unique in that we have a huge library of characters that are not only recognizable, but they’re successful and entertaining. Everyone knows Josie and Sabrina. Beyond that, we have an entire pantheon of heroes and villains that are perfect for TV or movies. Not to mention Katy Keene, Black Hood, Sam Hill, just to name a few. The possibilities are endless, and I can’t wait to start talking about what we have coming up.

Where next for Archie, as a whole?

We’re now a multiplatform company. We’re not just publishing. We have television and we’re talking about animation and licensing and everything, really. We have to now bring the aesthetic and fearlessness that made the comics successful into everything we do, while still keeping the publishing fresh and surprising. We can’t get complacent and we can’t assume people will be with us. We have to continue to strive for quality in the stories we share with our fans and we have to look for opportunities to stand out from the crowd. But our strategy won’t change: to get these characters out there in the best way possible, and to provide our fans with the best stories they could ever imagine.
Gonna go ahead and assume this is a decent indicator of Riverdale's survival past just this season.

Aside from the obvious question of Sabrina, Josie, etc, I wonder if there could be other takes on Archie and the core group down the line. If the comics can have classic Archie in the digests, new Archie, Archie horror and soon the Riverdale-based comic running simultaneously, I wonder if the same could apply to TV.

And thus, the Archie Live Action Universe was born. :o

I'm guessing Sabrina and Josie will stay at CW while the others will be shopped to other networks.

That and it is the CW's highest rated new show, with rating numbers approaching Arrow's numbers.
It's not even close to Arrow numbers. You can't compare a freshman show with 3 episodes under its belt to a show that has aired 10+ episodes this season and more than 100 overall.

By the end of this season Riverdale will likely be in the low to mid 0.3s. Arrow is in decline, but I don't see it sinking that low. There'll be events along the way that bump the ratings here and there.

Riverdale is doing more than well enough to stay alive on the CW. But saying it's the "highest rated new show" is only significant if you ignore the fact that Supergirl is new to CW and also ignore the fact that their other new shows were unmitigated disasters, ratings-wise.

It's a shame it's not doing better in the ratings! I think it's definitely the CW's best show! Much better than all of their run of the mill DC shows! Maybe it should switch to Wednesday's

It's a shame it's not doing better in the ratings! I think it's definitely the CW's best show! Much better than all of their run of the mill DC shows! Maybe it should switch to Wednesday's

It doesn't always have to be a pissing contest, guys. The Flash and Supergirl are good.

I actually think all five Arrowverse shows (Flash, Arrow, Legends, Supergirl, Vixen) improved versus last season. Arrow, Supergirl, and Legends especially.

I haven't actually watched Riverdale. I might get to it down the line, especially if it grows into a shared universe with more interesting characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"