Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Hunter Rider, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/weekendwarriornews.php?id=99886
    Over the last month or so I've been watching a lot of oldschool action films, I don't think you can recapture the charm they had and it will never be as it was regarding what constitutes a blockbuster.

Mega budgeted CBM's and fantasy are the core of Hollywood's bank now and so it's not really fair to compare these mid budget films Arnie and Sly are in to their primes, as back in the day a lot of their films were top of the food chain budget-wise and while you can look up what they cost and think it's small by comparison to today's blockbusters, you could get a lot more out of $40M in the 80's and early 90's.

However I don't think oldschool action movies are dead, Skyfall, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol and Fast 5 were huge hits and are all oldschool in the sense that most of the action is real stunts and there are no aliens, superheroes, costumes or other worldly stuff, although you cannot avoid CGI altogether in a tentpole film these days. You can also add Taken, Life Free or Die Hard and the other 2 Craig Bond films as big oldscool action hits of the last 5 years.

Sadly time is probably just about up for Sly and Arnie I feel but their two recent bombs I think are more a sign of original oldschool action movies being dead than the genre or their careers, if you aren't hooked up to a franchise your going to struggle to get a big audience for an action movie based around regular humans and action, and we certainly wont be getting the amount of oldschool action movies we used too, but hopefully the genre will still see hits.

2. dude stannis

dude stannis Well-Known Member

The Last Stand, Parker and Bullet to the Head didn't have a hook to them. You can Redbox the DTV equivalents to these for cheaper.

The Tomb has a hook. Arnie and Sly throwing down in a supermax prison they have to escape. Ten has a hook, an ensemble cast getting murdered one by one, it's a David Ayer film too, he's a big name these days.

3. Mace Dolex

Mace Dolex Powerful User

I don't know it's kind of an iffy situation, take Liam Neeson for example who would be 63 this year just a few years shy of Arnie and Sly's age but his movie Taken was a surprise hit, and it followed the basic premise of an old school revenge action yarn minus big budget explosions. So how was it a hit and while Arnold and Sly's movies were not? who knows/

Audiences today are very fickle and what with Arnie and Sly not being relevant these past couple of years the young movie crowd today would probably wince at seeing two old dudes running from explosions or getting into fist fights without breaking some bones and getting arthritis.

And frankly as for A Good Day To Die Hard after seeing the trailers with it's over the top explosions it just feels so different when you compare it to the smaller budgeted original Die Hard, it doesn't even feel like a DH sequel.

And while I like Jason Statham kicking all sorts of ass on the big screen I'm rather tired of any more Transporter sequels and we definitely don't need any more Crank sequels, Statham needs to branch out to other genres or he'll be like another Van Damme and Seagal.

4. dude stannis

The marketing department for Statham's movies sucks. Do you really establish Michael Chiklis as a threat to Statham and then show Statham beating Chiklis to death later in the trialer?

Homefront has the Stath taking on a crime empire. If the trailer shows him running over James Franco, Wynona Ryder, Frank Grillo and Kate Bosworth being all awesome, then there's no need for anyone to see the film. They need to hook people by showing Statham, as an underdog, out of his depth, trying to protect his daughter.

5. Mrs. Sawyer

Mrs. Sawyer Well-Known Member

The problem is that none of these movies distinguished the actors' selves enough to make it feel unique. I will admit they tried with Parker and The Last Stand but it wasn't good enough to put butts in seats.

6. dude stannis

I really don't think they did. Only the red band trailer for The Last Stand showed any personality. Parker took all the dramatic tension out of the film by making it obvious The Stath wins and making look like Transporter 4.

Bullet to the Head had the most potential for a hook by being a buddy film, with the guys being hunted by Kahl Drogo. But the pooped the bed with the most boring choice in Sung Kang. So Sly was basically talking to a brick wall.

7. Mrs. Sawyer

Exactly. It was an attempt, but it failed.

8. M-2

M-2 Ultimate BAMF

Yeah I don't think that there we will get real old school action type films anymore, cause quite frankly the 80's and 90's were chocked full of them... And for every one that was a hit or classic we got 50 poor ones that we still thought was good!

I think nowadays u need to change ur approach when dealing with this type films... I don't think "Hollywood" should try and make 80's and 90's action films now, because it will be generic and mundane. Instead film makers should be trying to make good Modern Action Films. Kinda how Chris Nolan reinvented Batman for the 21st century.

And truthfully whether people want to admit it or not, the latest entries in Fast and Furious is probably what other action films should try and aim for. Ensemble Cast, with characters people care for like, situations that pushes the characters to there edge, shouldn't be taking itself seriously, not being afraid to push the film into a different direction, and just huge CREATIVE action scenes.

9. AnneFan

AnneFan Hathaway #1

Full agreement. Charm goes a long way, and it's insanely hard to replicate. A film either has it or it doesn't. 'Back in the day' stuff has it in spades.

If films manage to have an aura about them, in marketing and hype, that's a start.

There seems to be a quandry of either trying too hard or not trying enough.

Anyway, old school never dies. If I've got it on a disc it's forever. :yay:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  10. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

This paragraph is all kinds of wrong. TDK especially had as little CGI in its action scenes as possible, so yeah.

This paragraph is also wrong, as the new trailers/spots for DH5 have showcased. Nowehere near old school action.

11. Mrs. Sawyer

I don't think Old School Action movies are dead, but just the stars' popularity. I think another problem with these stars is that they're on the wrong end of "you know what you're getting" with these guys.

12. dude stannis

Sly and Arnold need to start Obi-Wan Kenobiing the other guys.

13. Gianakin_

The Rock is ready, he's even passed his trials. So is Statham. The latter needs a far better agent, though.

14. dude stannis

I say kill Dolph, Arnold, Sly and Bruce in Expendables 3, have an Expendables sequel trilogy with Statham, Diesel, The Rock, Gina Carano and Scott Adkins.

15. Gianakin_

How about a Prequel Trilogy?

16. dude stannis

Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin and Bruce Lee!

17. Gianakin_

I can dig it.

18. dude stannis

Yep. You'll have to dig them up.

19. AnneFan

AnneFan Hathaway #1

Another set of films you can defend. :awesome:

20. dude stannis

George Lucas Expendable movies would be the most hilariously aweful thing ever. And I'd love every second of them.

21. Mrs. Sawyer

...And people thought 80s action movie dialogue couldn't be any cheesier.

22. dude stannis

[​IMG]

"You where shupposhed to by my friend Shteeve Aushtin! I LOVE YOU!"

23. Gianakin_

But you'd need romance there, too.

24. Mrs. Sawyer

:lmao:

I laughed at this for several minutes already.

25. dude stannis

[​IMG]

"Why can't we be together!?!?!?!?!?"