Are you afraid of the dentist?

Immortalfire

The Vectorman
Staff member
Reaction score
I admit it, I am petrified beyond all reason of the dentist.

:facepalm:

Reactions: CJ
I kinda like it, lol. Nothing better than getting your teeth professionally cleaned.

I kinda like it, lol. Nothing better than getting your teeth professionally cleaned.
Agreed. If I were rich I would go once a month to make sure everything is tiptop lol.

I can name a few things that I like better than that...:oldrazz:

I rather go the Dentist then see my Physician, she is always nagging about my weight. :nono:

It all depends on who your dentist is. I used to hate it and fear it. That's because the dentist I used to see when younger had filthy hands and clothes, would jam the syringe into people's mouths in a roughshod way and sometimes would forego the anaesthetic altogether but yank out your teeth with a pair of pliers.

But changing dentists and realising that many can inject you without being so much as a little prick, and being far more hygienic and professional about it, it's not such a bad experience.

So it depends on whether you get a relic quack from another century who should be banned for backstreet practices or a professional with a proper bedside manner. For that reason, I can't answer either yes or no because it's not a universal answer.

I admit it, I am petrified beyond all reason of the dentist.

:facepalm:

It's not beyond all reason. You've probably had a bad experience. If you had the experiences I did before, that would be a good reason enough. You just need to change your experience.

After surgeries, dialysis, and a bone marrow biopsy, going to the dentist is like a walk in the park for me.

After surgeries, dialysis, and a bone marrow biopsy, going to the dentist is like a walk in the park for me.

No-one in the park comes and sticks a syringe in your mouth or pulls out your teeth while you're walking. :o

Going to the dentist is quite simple and straightforward. The only times it’s a pain if there is major surgery to be performed like wisdom teeth removal. Still not as painful as surgery on body visceral organs unless it’s laparoscopic

Going to the dentist is quite simple and straightforward. The only times it’s a pain if there is major surgery to be performed like wisdom teeth removal. Still not as painful as surgery on body visceral organs unless it’s laparoscopic

Laparoscopic is still plenty painful to recover from.

All 4 of my wisdom teeth were impacted, basically all four where positioned horizontally pushing up against the back moulders, one dangerously close to the nerves in my jaw, meaning I had to go under the knife to get them all out. Surgeon said it was one of the most difficult extractions he ever had to do. Couldn't eat properly for like a week.

I was for most of my young life. I had a traumatic experience in first grade that made every subsequent dental visit an anxiety inducing nightmare. In 2006 I had my last dental visit until 2014.

Had some bad periodontal diseases all over my mouth, bleeding gums, and lots of plaque. After a few deep cleanings it was all better and I have not missed an appointment since then. Losing all my teeth outweighs any fear of the dentist, I like my teeth.

The only thing that makes me anxious still are the x-rays. But thankfully as an adult you only need them once a year.

Not exactly afraid, but doesn't exactly look forward to visiting the dentist. Had to remove a wisdom tooth once. And that sure was a nightmare. Still, it was necessary and getting rid of the pain the tooth caused was worth the pain pulling it out. In the end, just take care of your teeth and you save yourself a lot of anxiety and money.

I actually had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled several years back, it was god awful.

Most of the time I find the dentist to be relaxing. I shut my eyes, turn my brain off, and relax. I've even napped while getting my teeth cleaned.

All 4 of my wisdom teeth were impacted, basically all four where positioned horizontally pushing up against the back moulders, one dangerously close to the nerves in my jaw, meaning I had to go under the knife to get them all out. Surgeon said it was one of the most difficult extractions he ever had to do. Couldn't eat properly for like a week.

Mine were also impacted. I had all 4 surgically removed when I was a teen, and that sucked ash because the doc wouldnt give me any decent pain medication and my mouth was packed with cotton for days. I ate lots of mashed potatoes and cream of chicken soup.

They told me about the risk of cutting that jaw nerve and the consequences and that really scared me.

Last edited:
Most of the time I find the dentist to be relaxing. I shut my eyes, turn my brain off, and relax. I've even napped while getting my teeth cleaned.

Mine were also impacted. I had all 4 surgically removed when I was a teen, and that sucked ash because the doc wouldnt give me any decent pain medication and my mouth was packed with cotton for days. I ate lots of mashed potatoes and cream of chicken soup.

They told me about the risk of cutting that jaw nerve and the consequences and that really scared me.

In the time you are asleep, the "dentist" and his "assistant" could make a latex mould of your face, go out on a global mission for a few days impersonating you, transport you to a new location, and then wake you up after only an "hour".

I've had little dental work done, so I was more concerned with how good the hygienists were when I was shopping around. I've been lucky that the place I go to now is very gentle. :)

I've had little dental work done, so I was more concerned with how good the hygienists were when I was shopping around. I've been lucky that the place I go to now is very gentle. :)

That's my main concern as well. I hate getting a rough hygienist. Teeth and gums dont need to be assaulted to be cleaned. In fact fast and aggressive cleaning and brushing is less healthy for the gums and teeth.

I had one hygienist early on that was so rough I was afraid to bring my kid there so I changed. Getting your teeth cleaned can be scary enough for a tyke without having a clearer who draws too much blood.:(

Not dentists as a whole, but one in particular, when I was little my dentist was a sadist that enjoyed poking and prodding my teeth and gums with sharp steel picks until blood flowed like a river, savored drilling into my teeth extra deep to fill cavities that weren't there. Fast forward to a few years ago when my new dentist (a real stand up fella) informed me that there were only about 5% of my actual teeth left. The decision was made to remove them all and have implants installed. The surgeon took out every last fragment and even wisdom teeth I didn't know were still there in one painful morning. That's one entire week I can't remember I was on so much Oxy.

Not dentists as a whole, but one in particular, when I was little my dentist was a sadist that enjoyed poking and prodding my teeth and gums with sharp steel picks until blood flowed like a river, savored drilling into my teeth extra deep to fill cavities that weren't there. Fast forward to a few years ago when my new dentist (a real stand up fella) informed me that there were only about 5% of my actual teeth left. The decision was made to remove them all and have implants installed. The surgeon took out every last fragment and even wisdom teeth I didn't know were still there in one painful morning. That's one entire week I can't remember I was on so much Oxy.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Do you have to care for your implants? Will they ever develop cavities?

You've got to clean them differently. My mother had her front teeth knocked out in a car accident when she was younger and has gotten them replaced every 15-20 years. The science behind them has apparently gotten really good nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"