Are you superstitious?

Shinobi Shaw

The Upstart Black King
Reaction score
Friday the 13th has me wondering… do you have any superstitions at all? Are you a superstitious person?

I for one will never put a hat on a bed because it’s bad luck.

Also if you’re carrying a bag, never leave it on the floor. That’s money out the door. LOL.

Last edited:
I'm a little superstitious about the old wives' tales stuff like if you break a mirror or open an umbrella inside then it's seven years bad luck. I know it's completely irrational b.s. but following those rules since I was a kid makes it a hard habit to break, lol.

I'm a little superstitious about the old wives' tales stuff like if you break a mirror or open an umbrella inside then it's seven years bad luck. I know it's completely irrational b.s. but following those rules since I was a kid makes it a hard habit to break, lol.

200.gif

You was brought up correctly lol.

200.gif

You was brought up correctly lol.
Even if I didn't have that superstition, something just looks so wrong about having an umbrella open inside. It's like seeing somebody walking around without pants on in public. :o

Yes, I'm a little bit superstitious... the toilet seat always goes down or the money goes away.

Scissors? unless you're "still using it", those must remain closed! Otherwise, it's just bad luck.

Against my better judgment, I do sometimes tend to subscribe to magical thinking where mortality is concerned lol. I'm aware it's silly. But like others said, old habits and all.

Yes, I'm a little bit superstitious... the toilet seat always goes down or the money goes away.

Scissors? unless you're "still using it", those must remain closed! Otherwise, it's just bad luck.

Now see, I’ve never heard that before but dammit that’s an incentive to keep the toilet seat down for the rest of my days LOL.

I am not, and never have been, superstitious. I never raise the toilet seat because of my desire to keep the peace. If the seat doesn't go down and "something else" goes down on it, then the S*** hits the fan. If you're a guy and can't take 10 seconds to drop your drawers, sit down, and not be a neanderthal, go live by yourself and have a nice, wet seat.

IMO, "superstition" is based on reality. Don't open an umbrella in the house cause you're gonna EF something up. Don't walk under a ladder because there's something above you that might fall on your head. There are a lot of things we call superstitions, but they become superstitions because some people are stupid enough to ignore reality. I could go on, but every superstition has its genesis.

Last edited:
I am not, and never have been, superstitious. I never raise the toilet seat because of my desire to keep the peace. If the seat doesn't go down and "something else" goes down on it, then the S*** hits the fan. If you're a guy and can't take 10 seconds to drop your drawers, sit down, and not be a neanderthal, go live by yourself and have a nice, wet seat.

IMO, "superstition" is based on reality. Don't open an umbrella in the house cause you're gonna EF something up. Don't walk under a ladder because there's something above you that might fall on your head. There are a lot of things we call superstitions, but they become superstitions because some people are stupid enough to ignore reality. I could go on, but every superstition has its genesis.

If not for the whole superstition thing, do it for the feng shui: toilets are the biggest *positive energy* drains (you can Google that!).

I'm a rational person so no.

I'm a sports fan, so yes. And I hate myself for it. :funny:
What do you do to make sure that there's a football game
Friday the 13th has me wondering… do you have any superstitions at all? Are you a superstitious person?

I for one will never put a hat on a bed because it’s bad luck.

Also if you’re carrying a bag, never leave it on the floor. That’s money out the door. LOL.
:funny:
I hadn't read this until just now. Yeah, unless they are made to be put on the floor (sofa, tables, chairs, etc), putting things on the floor IS bad luck because they get STEPPED on and BROKEN. I tried to point this out to my daughter who would leave her backpack with her IPhone and/or MacBook on the floor. When SHE ended up having to replace it and didn't have a completely functional phone and computer for some time, she miraculously stopped creating "bad luck" for herself. LOL

I believe in people's belief in it having a major effect

Seriously, placebo effect is a hell of a drug.

Not so much superstitious, but more obsessive-compulsive. I check the lock on my front door three times before I go to bed. Not because three is the magic number, but... I just gotta do it three times to be sure it's done.

I'm a sports fan, so yes. And I hate myself for it. :funny:

Although, there is this. Game 7 is tonight, and there's no chance in hell I'm watching it. I'm bad luck.

Not so much superstitious, but more obsessive-compulsive. I check the lock on my front door three times before I go to bed. Not because three is the magic number, but... I just gotta do it three times to be sure it's done.

Although, there is this. Game 7 is tonight, and there's no chance in hell I'm watching it. I'm bad luck.

I do that too, but I only do it because I have a bad memory. Eventually it kicks in.

I do stuff like this as well. And if I don't do it correctly, wherever I am, I'm just sitting there thinking about how I didn't do it.

Pulling for your boys, tonight. It has to happen one day... right?

Oh there is a lot of superstitious aspect in my daily and social life.

In fact, especially in East Asia in where I am coming from, superstitious is part of any daily and social life.

The most common are...number 4 is the bad number here (not 13) because "Four" is prounounced "Shi" in Japanese (also same in Chinese and Korean). Why is that such a bad thing?
Because "Shi" also had the same meaning as "Death" as "Death" is also pronounced "Shi" in Japanese. (Same in Chinese language).
So, for a lot of people...thats the number that mostly and usually avoided when picking up an apartment number, a lottery number, even a ceremony day.

The other common thing is that we pray every summer (usually end of July and early August) for our any deceased relatives or family members because it is said that in summer, every dead souls has returned to the land of living (not to haunt, mind you!) but to visit their loved one for just one month in the year. So we pray for them at the temple and shrines. It is commonly known as 'Bon Festival" here in Japan. (But in China, they call it "Lantern/Ghost Festival")

Others are: We cannot put a chopstick in vertical position above a rice bowl when we eat as thats the same as the ritual that used to pray for the dead ones. (The 2013 Wolverine movie briefly showing this when Logan put his chopstick vertically above rice bowl and Mariko corrected him by putting it horizontally on the table).

And for women...they cannot put a wedding dress before they are married...or otherwise...they will have a hard time for getting married for real.

As much bad blood we had with China and Korea over the years...we still share the common superstitious stuff like this...haha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"