Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mclay18, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Destructus86

Destructus86 Well-Known Member

Well, after the government failed to demonize Snowden so that the public would hate him...they had to change the subject.

2. Roguefan

Roguefan Well-Known Member

wow, that's exactly what I thought. the mainstream media has us completely distracted.. or brainwashed if you could say that.

BTW, does anyone know how a piratebox works? I learned about it on the Corbett Report but I'm not sure how it works exactly. Is it truly private internet?
    And what about alternatives to google and gmail like startpage and startmail? I switched but I'm not sure if they work either

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  3. redhawk23

redhawk23 Wrestlin'

So what grounds were given for revoking Snowden's passport? He hasn't actually been tried for anything...

4. hippie_hunter

hippie_hunter The King is Back!

When someone is charged with a felony and facing arrest, which is Snowden's situation, the government has the right to revoke their passport on the grounds that persons charged with felonies should not be allowed to proceed in any further international travel.

5. hippie_hunter

hippie_hunter The King is Back!

I would say that Snowden has done a far better job to demonize himself than the government. As someone who completely supports what Snowden did I have to agree with what people like Bill Maher and Rand Paul are saying in that if Snowden cozies up with countries like Russia and Venezuela (countries that are worse than the US when it comes to spying on its own citizens) he will lose a lot of the moral high ground that he had when this all started.

6. Alex_Spider

Alex_Spider Well-Known Member

7. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

8. Alex_Spider

Alex_Spider Well-Known Member

9. MessiahDecoy123

MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Look at all the small government Republicans voting for big government's ability to spy on everyone.

10. SV Fan

SV Fan Well-Known Member

Looks like freedom of speech under the first amendment doesn't include singing

http://www.policymic.com/articles/5...-arrested-for-singing-and-clapping-at-capitol

11. MessiahDecoy123

Um, why was the "civil liberties" thread merged with the Edward Snowden thread?

This is 13 pages mostly about Snowden being considered a traitor not about Civil Liberties in general.

12. MessiahDecoy123

13. Comics N' Toons

Comics N' Toons Viva La Revolucion!

totally agree! Everything has gotten too big and as a result, we lose rights. Clinton was the last president with any kind of thing RESEMBLING common sense. Anybody want to slash spending? CALL OFF the war on terror! Call off the war on drugs. Shrink the NSA so we aren't molested in airports, Stop foreign war policy.

WE ARE NO LONGER EVEN ALLOWED TO REFUSE HEALTH INSURANCE! ! ! FORCE & COERCION ARE A VIOLATION OF CIVIL LIBERTIES!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  14. childeroland

childeroland Well-Known Member

15. childeroland

childeroland Well-Known Member

16. SentinelMind

SentinelMind Well-Known Member

Obama administration argues the Supreme Court doesn't have jurisdication over NSA snooping case.

President Barack Obama's administration is urging the Supreme Court not to take up the first case it has received on controversial National Security Agency cybersnooping.

US government attorneys argue that the Supreme Court does not have the jurisdiction to take the case, filed in July by the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC).

http://www.newsmax.com/newswidget/U...t&utm_campaign=widgetphase1#ixzz2iDff2CNK

17. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

It seems like the U.S security agency isn't too popular with the U.S supposed allies with allegations of the NSA spying on more than 70 million French phone records, text messages and private conversations as those in Germany.

Even Angela Merkel's phone may of been tapped.

18. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

And now it may put in jeopardy the data Germany shares with us. Which would effect our counter-terrorism ability.

So, the NSA, under the guise of collecting data to fight terrorists, may have just hampered out ability to collect data to fight terrorists.

Well done. *slow clap*

19. MessiahDecoy123

Hey, America has to stay on top somehow, right?

So let us spy on everyone.

And when I say "us" I mean a powerful, shadowy agency that has no public oversight and could be run by a modern day Edgar Hoover. Nobody can know for sure.

20. Destructus86

our liberties ARE under attack. Look at religion. I keep reading articles about people at school or work being told to remove their cross or other religious items.

We have a right to religion...no matter what religion that is. If someone wants to wear a religious symbol then by all means DO IT. Anywhere you want...because it's YOUR right.

21. warhorse78

warhorse78 Well-Known Member

It's a double standard. People want God out of the money and out of the schools, but at the same time, people want to use religion to attack the gays (the fact that we have had a don't ask don't tell policy in place of the military really pisses me off) It's like you are not free to be who you are while fighting for the freedoms of others, often those other freedoms are restrained because of religious tyranny. It's almost ironic.

22. Kelly

Kelly #RESIST

The way I look at it, you begin to take the rights away from certain groups...those rights that all citizens should enjoy, then you are not just hurting that one group, you are in reality taking away all rights. There will come a time when that happens...

Religious groups that say you are treading on my rights as a "insert religion" and then turn around fight against the rights of anyone/everyone to marry will end up at some point weakening their own rights.

The same goes for those groups that want religion taken out of everything.

At some point its going to bite you in the butt....

23. Destructus86

Homeland Security has it's own private police force. If that doesn't creep you out.....it really should.

24. Destructus86

25. Destructus86