Ari Aster's "Beau is Afraid”

Damn, I thought the poster was going to lead to a teaser.

giphy.gif

I really hope that’s Joaquin Phoenix as his boy self motion captured ala Polar Express lol

Oldest Beau is probably Joaquin, but I keep seeing Ed Harris when I look at him.

Looks wild as ****. Can't wait.

...looks weird, love it.

Might even be pretty funny.

Looks like an interesting trailer, but I worry when directors of relatively smaller projects make the transition to more ambitious ones. Duncan Jones and Neil Blomkamp come to mind.

Looks quite humorous, but then so was Midsommar and that just made the dark **** even more disturbing.

I expected more dark comedy horror vibes, possibly like the short film Beau. This is like a surreal comedy drama that indeed looks more like a Kaufman movie. However, I love Aster's previous films and I'm always in for something different from directors, so I hope this delivers.

With Phoenix and the whole unreliable narrator absurdness into the film, it kind of feels like another Joker origin story, though. It even has Farrel's Penguin in it.
clipboard-image-609056e79ff3cae1-1673360829.jpg

:o:o:o

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.

Can't wait.

Wouldn't be an Aster film without graphic nudity.

Some of my friends worked on the film and told me a lot about Joaquin Phoenix, I sadly know a bit too much about the film but it's quite amibitious.

He wasn't a diva and was down to earth, always on set smoking, speaking with the crew and never in his trailer, but it's his method that is quite impressive :

He payed Georges St-Pierre to come to his hotel and punch him in the belly so he would feel constant pain as if he was hit by a car (which is shown in the trailer).

He's getting stabbed in the film also, getting hurt on the abdomen and hand. Joaquin then started to put a metal clip on his abdomen pinching his skin and he had a bandage for his hand in which he put small nails underneath so he could press and also feel the pain (Sometimes even making himself bleed by accident).

My friend asked him why all the trouble and Joaquin's response was simple : He doesn't want to think about those parts of acting, by really being hurt, it helps him concentrate on other thing and not forget where he's supposed to feel pain.

And also, be prepared for gigantic testicles (during the bathroom scene If I remember correctly)

Hearing all he did for the role made me think about JOKER, I can't imagine what he did to feel like Arthur Fleck.

I'm an Aster stan but even I have serious doubts about Beau's success. It seems incredibly bizarre.

Aster’s really made a name for himself by inflicting a sense of dread with harmless-looking imagery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"