Ari Aster's Midsommar (2019)

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Boom, May 9, 2018.

1. Erik20 Registered

Was there ever any outrage about
    Christian and that rape scene at the end? (Cause it was rape, the guy was drugged) It seems way more people would be upset about that if it happened to a women in a movie nowadays. And especially with him running around naked after. I also didn't even think of it as rape at the time...
    I've mostly seen comments about it being funny, weird, or just
    cheating (so he got what he "deserved" in the end) Sure he was a jerk, but he didn't deserve all that

Thinking about that made the movie even more dark for me, and changed how I feel about Dani.
    she's blaming and punishing a rape victim

#226 Erik20, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  2. Motown Marvel Crimson and Clover

The scene was a combination of consent and manipulation. If you wanna call it rape, I think it could qualify and I wouldn't argue. And no, if it were a woman in that role it doesn't mean audiences would immediately jump all over it, it would depend on the context of the scene. And on screen rape is different for women compared to men when you consider how disproportionately often it's been used as a character developing weapon against women, meanwhile men suffering rape is exceptionally rare in film.

Dani was not knowingly blaming/punishing a rape victim since from her point of view she had no reason to believe it was rape. She was as drugged up and manipulated by the community as Christian was. The only info she had at the time was the sight of her boyfriend banging another chick, which was the last straw after suffering him being an @$$hole for the duration of their relationship as we saw on film.

The consequences Christian suffered were intentionally outlandish, and as such, considering his behavior throughout the film, I have no sympathy for him.

Erik20 likes this.
  3. Erik20 Registered

I completely agree with you, it's just that that thought hit me hours after watching the movie. Probably shows how good it is

that ending is kind of played up as a "you go girl!" moment, while Dani is unknowingly victim blaming, and like you said she's also being brainwashed... it's ultimately not great for her either.

Perhaps it was also the point of the movie to show how different we as an audience react to a "rape" scene when it happens to a male. I thought it was interesting that a lot of people only viewed it as Christian cheating on his girlfriend

4. Boom I got nothin'

This comes out on home release soon and I cannot wait to bathe in it again.

5. KaijuDude1992 Registered

I actually ended up enjoying this more than I expected. I honestly found it to be much better than Hereditary, although it's quite slow at times, and it does feel pretty bloated. I was never bored though, and Ari Aster really shows off his skills here when it comes to the direction and cinematography, but I also thought the technical aspects of Hereditary were really well executed as well. Hell even the performances are pretty great especially Florence Pugh and Will Pouter, but I can't say that I was all that invested in any of the characters even though some really awful **** happens to them. That opening scene might honestly be one of the most chilling things I've seen in a while.

7/10

6. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Finally watched this. I loved Hereditary. This was just all kinds of boring to me. I don't think it is bad, and you can see all the effort on screen, but I don't feel like it was good either. It feels so overindulgent. At least 45 mins longer then it needs to be, and because of that it feels far less powerful then it could have imo. It foreshadows everything, which is fine. But because it is so long, with so little happening, it felt like a lot of awkward waiting for what I know is coming I get that it is basically a movie all about the mood, but so was Hereditary. And stuff actually happened in that one. The finale mirrors Hereditary's so much, but lacks the "Holy ****" because like the rest of the movie, it is a really slow and lazy (in terms of speed, not effort). After it was over, talking about it with my brother and friend, I mentioned how the finale felt like that to me, and my brother said the casualness was suppose to be the horrifying part. Which I think is true, my friend mentioned how it kind of felt more pretentious to her and I agree with that. Because it all just feels so laid out in such an overt artsy way it felt artificial to me. I will say though, I did get a good laugh out of it.

I am watching Crawl next. Hoping that has some more punch to it.

Deck Rickard and thangaran like this.
  7. Mad Ones Bebe le Strange

I can't say I loved it when I watched it a couple months ago but the film has stuck with me and I think about it from time to time.
    Particularly the contrast between the protagonist's solitary suffering at the start of the film (her loud wails next to her silent boyfriend) with the way her anguish was reflected back at her by the cult near the end (and how it made the anguish more tolerable and even funny). I'm not sure what to make of it but I think it's interesting.

Florence Pugh completely saved the movie when it started to drag at times.

8. Lasirius Tarifa

The added scenes depicting their relationship in the Director's Cut helped the movie be a bit more tight and engaging throughout.

No big changes but provided a lot more air to what was already in the film.

Increased my score from 7.5 to 8.5/10

9. Kane52630 XO USER

No wonder I loved Midsommar a lot...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

tzarinna and MovieSlave like this.
  10. harlequinade The May Queen

Saw the director's cut, nothing too important there but if anyone wants to do a rewatch I recommend this one. Anyone else on the hunt for hidden detail? There's Dani's sister face in the trees at one point

11. Kane52630 XO USER

12. 3rdstone Original Manhunter

Everything was incredibly beautifully shot. The score was amazing as well. Hopefully we'll see more work from Florence Pugh, she's a great upcoming actress from what I've seen. It also got creepier and creepier during the journey of these nine days, even though it was a slow pace (which I often like in horror flicks). Very well made craftmanship. The opening scenes were very effective and strong as well.

However, as a Swede (and maybe what Hungarians might feel as well, since it was actually shot there, and not in "Hälsingland") watching this: WTF am I watching?! I'm sorry, but I laughed my ass off at all of these "every 90 years midsummer rituals", or whatever it was. Incredibly hilarious, although creative since there was a never ending flow of laughable stuff that I can't even try to imagine from where they got it.

Yes, I get it was supposed to be a cult/"community". But they would've been quickly noticed by social service and in these cases wound up in jail (believe it or not, but we're actually modern like that..). Yes, I get that horror flicks don't follow realism. But this is on another level of ridiculous.

I've yet to see Heriditary (but planned to do since like forever), and A24 stands for pure quality for me. This however, while having aestetically favours, and some great acting (and once again a great score), was just too much over the top to take serious.

I'm glad if you guys enjoyed it, but this just wasn't for me.

13. tzarinna Mamochka

PrehistoricDog likes this.
  14. kvz5 HBIC

Florence is getting a huge buzz for her work in Gerwig’s Little Women. Add her work on this and I can see her being the It Girl during this awards season.

15. PrehistoricDog Futurism

Love it. Florence herself dressed up as Dani for Halloween.

[​IMG]

#240 PrehistoricDog, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    tzarinna likes this.
  16. 3rdstone Original Manhunter

And she deserves all these kinda things. Unfortunately I only watched the first couples of episodes of the classic spy novel adapted to television: The little Drummer Girl. She was great there, and I hope we'll see more of her work.

17. Persona Registered

This is streaming on Prime now.

The story/script for this thing is like a Scary Movie spoof on folk horror but with great direction/aesthetics from Aster and a strong central performance from Pugh. It's a weird combo.

Anyways, I guess I liked it? I think it's less interesting than the first two acts of Hereditary but works better as a whole, even if everything that happens in the third act of Midsommar is like predictable, macabre punchlines (even the framing of multiple shots feels more comic than anything) to what the first two acts set up. If any of the characters besides Dani had been developed at all it could have become something complex and really interesting, but on the other hand it kind of feels like Aster wants them to be dumb tropes and wants us to think of Dani as the only real human in the whole thing.

Anyhow, I give it 3 out of 5 burning bear suits.

18. MOVIELORD101 Utter Smeghead

Finally saw the movie and....not gonna lie, I hated it. It's really just a poor-man's Wicker Man. And not even of the "Nic Cage screaming about bees" kind, and that's saying a LOT. When it's not trying to be out of nowhere trippy or shocking, it's surprisingly boring. "ZOMG THAT OLD GUY WHO JUMPED OFF THE CLIFF'S BADLY MAIMED AND HAS GOTTEN HIS HEAD BRUTALLY CAVED IN JUST TO FINISH THE JOB!" Seriously, that kind of shock gore needs to stop; it's a cheap tactic for arthouse horror right now IMO.

And maybe I'd like the ending more if it weren't made painfully clear that the movie, right from the start, is doing EVERYTHING in it's power to make Florence Pugh's character's life a living hell just so she can be manipulated in the position she ends up in in the end. ESPECIALLY the whole "her sister murders her family and then herself" thing at the start. And we never even meet those characters prior to that even for a second.That's ****ing disgusting and cheap if you ask me. Say what you want about the Nic Cage Wicker Man remake, but at least that movie showed the car crash incident that traumatized Cage at the beginning! Imagine if it instead opening with his old cop partner visiting him and then mentioning that incident instead? It'd be the same thing as this! And yeah, Pugh's boyfriend was an insensitive ass, but not enough to justify being drugged, raped and framed for infidelity just so he could be scarified in a really goofy manner at the end!

In the end, this whole thing rings hollow and I hope Ari Aster makes a much better movie than this next time. Hereditary was great, but I get the feeling he wrote Midsommar prior to that one, because that's what this whole movie feels like: a really messy rookie first script that never got more than one draft.

3/10

3rdstone and Deck Rickard like this.