Ari Aster's Midsommar (2019)

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Boom, May 9, 2018.

1. MOVIELORD101 Utter Smeghead

Care to elaborate in spoiler tags?

2. harlequinade The May Queen

LOL the characters are far more interesting than Hereditary, especially Dani. I don't know what you read, maybe someone trolled you.

3. C Prometheus Registered

Nah, as much as I enjoyed the script, I have to disagree there. Dani and the main Swedish guy are the only two characters I found to be very interesting and/or likable, whereas I quite enjoyed both Peter and Annie as characters and generally rooted for the family as a whole in Hereditary.

I can very easily see Midsommar not landing as well with audiences as Hereditary did due to the characters if this is largely the same as the leaked draft. Ultimately this whole thing is riding on Florence Pugh's performance as Dani and whether that character carries the film for most audiences IMO.

4. The Shape In the shadows

Despite how great it was, Hereditary already had a mixed reaction from audiences.

scarlet-witch and C Prometheus like this.
  5. Boom I got nothin'

Yep. Of all the people I've recommended Hereditary to, only one of them ended up loving it. Everybody else was either "meh" on it or outright hated it. Which is especially devastating to me because it's legit one of my favorite horror movies of all time.

If Midsommar is even less accessible than that film, this may be in for a hard time at theaters.

6. Blitzkrieg Registered

Hereditary actually had decent WoM for such a divisive film. It's especially excellent for an auteur driven horror film.

I mean it's post OW legs were really impressive (3.24 multiplier off of a 13.6m OW). The cinema-score (D+) indicated a swift death at the BO but Hereditary almost inexplicably did really well against all odds. It did serve as a counter-programming option w.r.t the other movies during summer but nothing really suggested a healthy BO run after the opening.

It's also A24's highest grossing movie till date (Lady Bird is bigger in the dbo @ 48m but Hereditary beat the Greta Gerwig movie by 0.4m worldwide).

7. harlequinade The May Queen

But it wasn't about likable but dimensional. Were characters in Hereditary really that complex? Not really. I find those in Midsommar you mentioned much more interesting.

8. harlequinade The May Queen

I think it's gonna be more accessible, the ending is more satisfying and the story as a whole is more straightforward than Hereditary

9. Boom I got nothin'

And just to confirm, there are zero supernatural elements to this one right?

10. harlequinade The May Queen

None, as far as I remember

11. C Prometheus Registered

I'm not sure I agree with this either tbh.

The ending is definitely more satisfying and memorable than Hereditary's, but the pacing of the film could be problematic. I really liked the script myself, but as the others mentioned before, Hereditary had mixed reactions from mass audiences and I would argue that Midsommar is an even slower burn that really circles around a largely unlikable cast (admittedly via mostly the POV of a dynamic main protag in Dani).

There's a lot of stuff in there that has me a bit nervous on how the reception of the film turns out.

12. harlequinade The May Queen

Eh I only care about the reception if the film is a huge blockbuster and HAS TO earn money. With horrors I only care about my enjoyment.

13. Sawyer High King

Chidi being in this movie still tickles me.

scarlet-witch and harlequinade like this.
  14. harlequinade The May Queen

He's in the Bad Place now :p

15. harlequinade The May Queen

Reportedly 140 mins :D

16. scarlet-witch Stormborn

I've had the same issue with Hereditary. I loved it, but no one I recommended it to did. The best I got was "it's fine." Hopefully those people will be more into this but I have no hope for them. :p

17. PrehistoricDog Futurism

Awesome!

18. Kane52630 Incubi User

It's so cool they were able to get Katy Perry to do the music video for the movie. :o

The Shape likes this.
  19. harlequinade The May Queen

20. Boom I got nothin'

21. Farren Side Kicker

To those who have read the leaked script: do you think the run time is a good thing? Is it a slow burn?

22. Persona Registered

I'm honestly surprised it's that long, the script seemed more in line with a 2 hour movie (and frankly I was hoping some stuff would get cut). Wonder if Aster added some stuff later.

Maybe the movie warrants the run-time, but I've become a little wary as it feels like modern Hollywood movies don't know how to kill their darlings any more. I would have liked Blade Runner 2049 and the new Suspiria a lot better if they had pared out some of the more unnecessary plot elements.

23. harlequinade The May Queen

Midsommar is pretty straightforward tho and doesn't have unnecessary plot elements like whatever the hell that subplot with Tilda as a dude in Suspiria was

24. Boom I got nothin'

Suspiria was a slog to get through. Some stunning cinematography throughout, but altogether I think I enjoyed maybe 10 minutes of that movie.