Ari Aster's Midsommar (2019)

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Boom, May 9, 2018.

1. PrehistoricDog Futurism

Watching this on Saturday. So excited!

2. Sawyer High King

Did a bit of a spoiler-dive, just because I knew my ***** ass wouldn't be able to survive going in blind. And, uhh...

Wow.

moviedoors likes this.
  3. Lasirius tarifa

Got tickets for tomorrow, can't wait.

4. Boom I got nothin'

Can't see this until Friday.

Sounds like a "love it or hate it" type of movie.

5. moviedoors Registered

Ari Aster is a sadist and a psychopath. And I don't say that because his movies are so gory and insane. This guy just doesn't give a ****. He wallows in dread, but he denies you the cathartic thrill of a scare. His pacing seems deliberately designed to make you uncomfortable. This movie doesn't ultimately go anywhere you weren't expecting if you're at all versed in genre movies; he makes you stew in it anyway. There's lots of laughs in this movie, but almost all of them are awkward. He invites laughs at the strangest places, the places most likely to put an audience off balance. He is daring you to follow him at all times.

I wasn't sure how I felt about Hereditary and have only seen it once; now I'm ready to watch it again.

Now I know who I'm dealing with.

Brother Jack and Heretic like this.
  6. Lasirius tarifa

Enjoyed it, definitely agree with the statement of making one stew in dread. I was positively nervous for the entire runtime to the point that I just wanted to take a break to take a couple of deep breaths then resume. Probably more accessible than Hereditary?

8/10..for now.

scarlet-witch likes this.
  7. Heretic Registered

Just saw this...and for the first time since I was a child...I cried at the end of a movie. (EDIT: I actually cried through half of Room, so..the SECOND time)

I'm not going to post story spoilers, but I WILL talk about my personal interpretation of the THEMES in this movie...and while your interpretation may be different, and again, I'm not going to spoil any specific moments in the film, I'll put my "review" in a spoiler. Most of this is going to be about MY life, rather than the movie.

I recently went through a very dark period in my life. I was faced with a lot of the trauma that I've experienced over the years, fell into a deep depression, started suffering from panic attacks and just lost hope in life. While searching for a reason to live, I reached out (quite clumsily) to many different people...not exactly telling them what I was going through or how suicidal I really was...I just wanted someone to make me feel like my life was valued by them. I was quite surprised by what happened. The people who I thought would be the FIRST to support me completely vanished. Some of these people are trained in mental health issues and actually do this for a living...and they flat out stopped talking to me when I desperately reached out for help. Meanwhile, random strangers came to my aid. A young woman walked by me...told me that I looked like I needed to be told that I matter and gave me a hug. That sort of thing. I'm not MAD at the people who were not there for me...they aren't psychic...but it was a difficult thing to fight this by myself.

Note: I've been diagnosed with a chemical imbalance in my brain that causes those thoughts and am on medication for that, counseling for the trauma, and meditation to help cope with things in the future...I'll be fine.

The point is...for me...this is a movie about coping with trauma...and finding who you can rely on. When you are in a dark place, who will suffer alongside you? Who will help you rid yourself of your trauma...and help you rise up from the ashes?

I get that people with a different perspective in life may view this movie completely differently...you may think that the movie was saying something completely different. That's fine, I love when art can mean different things to different people.

Florence Pugh is the REAL DEAL. She's incredible in this. The movie is STUNNINGLY shot, absolutely gorgeous. It's surprisingly funny. I will say that it feels like it takes a bit too long to get through some scenes...but I'm willing to overlook that. This is definitely in my top three of 2019 thus far (alongside Starfish and Braid)...and may actually be in my top 2...maybe I need a 1A and 1B.

#157 Heretic, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  8. harlequinade The May Queen

Seeing this today while I'm sleep deprived so it will be fun :D

9. Closerframe Registered

Not as good as Hereditary, but still good overall. My only problem is how some of the characters just disappear within quick succession of one another off screen.

10. Kane52630 Incubi User

Horrifying and disturbing but I loved it. After being so disappointed with Hereditary, this was exactly the movie I was expecting with Ari Aster. It's a movie that is fully aware of what their aiming for and the similarities to other cult horror movies, mainly the original Wicker Man. The movie operates very slowly and methodically which might be a turn off for some people, but I thought it worked really well. The best way to describe it is like playing in quicksand, a lot of the horror slowly creeps up to you. The cast and performances were wonderful, but Florence Pugh is the clear standout. She basically gave a Oscar award level performance as someone who's suffering from loss and painful panic attacks. The cinematography and direction is also a big highlight for me, they do a lot with bright lighting and shadows. The gore can be fantastical at times but it also works really well. Overall, I dug it a lot. It's a vast improvement for Ari Aster and while this might seem more accessible for the mainstream, it's also gonna test their patience.
    9.5/10

11. writer0327 Registered

I saw this movie yesterday and as with Hereditary, I had to really think and marinate about how I felt about this movie after leaving the theater. You know how with most films you have an immediate, almost kneejerk response as the film is winding down? Once the climax is done and you're just kinda basking in the aftermath, either enjoying your experience or hating it? Yeah, not so with an Ari Aster movie. No you have to go get a drink and really think about what the hell just happened.

Well anyway, a day later, l loved this movie.

I loved the experience of watching it in a crowd with people who didn't know what to expect and hearing the nervous laughter at the many WTF moments this film had to offer. Aster is a certified genius and certifiable at the same time. The only big problem with this film that keeps it from getting a perfect score is it lingers way too long in certain parts, which is absolutely by design because that is part of the experience. But even that has its limits. The concept of a horror show in a small positively beautiful and intimate setting was engaging enough, but the various characters really shaped the film. I don't think actors and actresses takes a role in an Ari Aster film unless they are ready to go hard in their acting, so the cast does a phenomenal job overall but Florence Pugh is otherworldly in this film. It's hard to talk about any of this without spoiling everything, so if you need a break from the popcorn blockbuster film, go watch this now!

9.5/10

#161 writer0327, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  12. harlequinade The May Queen

So many changes from the script, which I mostly liked but I wish two moments remained, I'll get into that when i regain my strength

I liked it a lot but Hereditary was more enjoyable, this felt more...together. It was an experience and everything fit together better than in Hereditary where some scenes were just out of place and the tone was inconsistent. This felt like much more thought out movie. And that score!! Amazing. So much attention to detail too, I'm pretty sure the image that opens the movie has the entire plot but it was too much to notice everything

13. harlequinade The May Queen

Oh and that moment when Christian is holding her right before the credits start and she lets out that scream? That made me tear up. There was just such an anguish there, I read Florence imagined her family was dead in order to do that and you could really feel the overwhelming loneliness and desperation in that scream

14. newfoundlander Registered

That was honestly the best scenes of the movie and utterly gutting to watch. The dread waiting to finally see whats become of her family and how hard hitting her reaction was going to be. It was so well done you almost feel uncomfortable watching it. Its unfortunate that the movie never hits really hits those highs again in its 2.5hr runtime. Its such a shame that the movie is too long for its own good.. and kinda falls apart after the first half IMO anyway.

15. Boom I got nothin'

I worship at the alter of Ari Aster. Wooooooow.

That movie ****ed me up, fam.

C Prometheus likes this.
  16. Joined:
    May 2, 2012
  17. harlequinade The May Queen

I really hope he sticks to horror. Unlike Peele and his embarrassing script for Us Aster is 2 for 2. But I read he wants to make other genres now

18. Jekecy Registered

Ari's got a way of capturing pure anguish. I remember having the same type of reaction with Toni Collette in Hereditary. I've seen good crying plenty of times, but these were on another level.

I don't know how to describe it, but the way both Toni and Florence let out their screams was so raw I could feel my blood rushing. I couldn't even see it as great acting, it felt like I was in the room with someone who just experienced the worst kind of trauma. It was uncomfortable in all the right ways.

19. harlequinade The May Queen

That's really thanks to the actress, though. His direction has little to do with it but he is more patient director than most

20. Farren Side Kicker

Saw it yesterday. I liked it but I think it had some flaws that dragged it down. The script and character development were kinda weak, and the gore started to feel like gore for the sake of it instead of gore in the service of anything else. But there's enough good going on to make up for its faults. There's short doses of some really intense, dread-filled sequences; and Florence Pugh's performance is great; and buried in the script is a solid and creative story.

As a bit of an aside, between this and Hereditary I feel like Aster's films are the weakest in the middle; I respect that he lets things breathe instead of beating the audience over the head with the narrative direction but in both films I started to feel a bit bored during the middle. I don't need to know exactly where things are going but I'd like to feel like they are going somewhere and I need to feel some building suspense or dread about that direction. (But maybe that's just my subjective taste).

Agreed.

21. Boom I got nothin'

I was engrossed the entire 2.5 hours, so I have no complaint about the film's length. But I get why it would be a problem for people who weren't as engrossed.

Aster described it as a "breakup movie" and I think that's aptly put. The movie deals quite heavily with toxic relationships and that feeling of being trapped and being alone in a room full of people. That hits close to home for me.

It's basically nothing but building dread throughout the entire movie, and the ending was almost cathartic release.

antsman41 likes this.
  22. Joined:
    May 2, 2012
    Breh, the fellow brotha man and I had the same reaction when he was told
    their oracle/the one who is there to interpret their message was due to inbreeding, on purpose. Hell, I even had the same shoes on in the theater. My mans wanted to snap them pics and then get the hell outta there.

23. PrehistoricDog Futurism

Ari Aster is becoming one of a hell image-maker, god damn. Found it strangely uplifting at the very end.

Christian's "oh s***" expression during the last 15 mins was comedy gold.

Florence Pugh was a revelation in this film. She's the real deal.

24. harlequinade The May Queen

25. harlequinade The May Queen