Arrow Arrow Season 2 Episode 17: "Birds of Prey" Rate and Review Thread

I thought the episode was ok. Didn't like the shaky cam.

Laughed at Felicity wanting Sara to beat up Huntress and Diggle agreeing, her comment about it being hard to keep track who knows secret IDs was funny too, Sara's modified voice, convenient Royd rage at the club, Helena's mask removal, wondering how long Roy made out with that girl, and Slade rolling up on Thea.

Not feeling how Laurel got her job back.

Huntress still sucks.

Was Hugo supposed to be related to Bruno?

Maybe it's just me, but it felt like the moment they were showing everyone's reaction to Laurel going back to work and they went to Sara, it looked like it was the same shot used when she was saying Slade was going to kill Oliver and his family when he went to their house a couple of episodes ago.

I guess a year on Dracula taught the girl playing Helena how to act. I thought she was ****tons better than last season. So much so that I don't hate the idea of her inevitable return.

Looking forward to next week like crazy.

Black Canary's altered voice sounded really cool.

Just saw the episode myself, and maybe it's just my own preferences, but does anyone else have issues with Oliver, as a character in the series as I do after seeing this episode?

I mean this episode pretty much reinforced and highlighted on how much of a hypocrite and selfish Oliver is right now.

I mean he says that Thea is the one thing that's keeping Roy in check, and the first thing that he does is to cut off that one good tie.

Then he tells Black Canary to not get involved with the situation with the Huntress because he's afraid that she'll kill her, despite the fact that he was willing to kill Slade without any hesitation or second thought. And it doesn't take a genius to know that Helena had been on a killing spree for a long time. It's only because this doesn't involve Oliver's family, which Sara brought up, that Oliver doesn't resort to killing right away.

And man, Oliver must be like the worst partner/love interest a woman could possibly have.lol I mean he's in a relationship with Sara, and it's pretty evident that he still cares a lot about Laurel, and he even said that he still loves her, and then if I didn't know it any better, it looks like he still has a thing for Helena...and all the while, he's keeping Felicity in the palm of his fingers.

If Oliver was a woman, you can pretty much guarantee that Oliver would be called a lot of names that i'm not permitted to say here.lol

I seriously hope that Barry Allen won't suffer from the same fate as Oliver when it comes to how he's written as a character.

I guess a year on Dracula taught the girl playing Helena how to act. I thought she was ****tons better than last season. So much so that I don't hate the idea of her inevitable return.

Yeah, I just realized tonight that Mina and Huntress were the same actress:wow:. Lol. In Dracula she's so lovely and sweet and in Arrow she's so twisted so I never made the connection until tonight.

Just saw the episode myself, and maybe it's just my own preferences, but does anyone else have issues with Oliver, as a character in the series as I do after seeing this episode?

I mean this episode pretty much reinforced and highlighted on how much of a hypocrite and selfish Oliver is right now.

I mean he says that Thea is the one thing that's keeping Roy in check, and the first thing that he does is to cut off that one good tie.

Then he tells Black Canary to not get involved with the situation with the Huntress because he's afraid that she'll kill her, despite the fact that he was willing to kill Slade without any hesitation or second thought. And it doesn't take a genius to know that Helena had been on a killing spree for a long time. It's only because this doesn't involve Oliver's family, which Sara brought up, that Oliver doesn't resort to killing right away.

And man, Oliver must be like the worst partner/love interest a woman could possibly have.lol I mean he's in a relationship with Sara, and it's pretty evident that he still cares a lot about Laurel, and he even said that he still loves her, and then if I didn't know it any better, it looks like he still has a thing for Helena...and all the while, he's keeping Felicity in the palm of his fingers.

If Oliver was a woman, you can pretty much guarantee that Oliver would be called a lot of names that i'm not permitted to say here.lol

I seriously hope that Barry Allen won't suffer from the same fate as Oliver when it comes to how he's written as a character.

I think you summed up pretty well on the problems I have with Oliver in this show compared to the original one from Smallville. While Green Arrow in this show is great, I'm not feeling the same thing with Oliver.

I think you summed up pretty well on the problems I have with Oliver in this show compared to the original one from Smallville. While Green Arrow in this show is great, I'm not feeling the same thing with Oliver.

It's definitely Ironic. I have no problems with this show's version of "Green Arrow", but I definitely have problems with the "Oliver Queen" persona.

Oliver, in a lot of ways, has been the unintentional source for SO MANY of the problems that plague the city.

Looking forward to next week like crazy.

I thought she was great tonight too. I wonder if Amanda Waller would recruit her for the suicide squad.

"Once you let the darkness inside, it never comes out." Yes, please, lead Laurel down the dark path. I hope they stick with it. I thought that short, cold performance, was much better than her continuous crying and quivering breath delivery, throughout the majority of the show so far.

That scene showed that KC has the potential to play a great villain (definitely more so then a hero). And hearing huntress's voice faintly repeat that line at the end of the trailer I'm hoping that is the direction they are heading. After showing her dark side if still decide to turn her into BC.......:wall: :wall: :wall:

I really liked this episode, with all the voice altering and saving innocents it felt more like a superhero show and less cw pairing drama.

another great episode! Cant wait for next week!

Also, I know it's silly to think this, but the scene where Sara as BC saves Laurel in the courthouse and Laurel doesn't know who she is makes me laugh. I know I have to suspend all beliefs since it's a show and what not, but if anyone I knew for more than a week, let alone my sibling, was standing in front of me in a wig and a mask over their eyes I would no doubt know it's them 100% of the time lol. Doesn't ruin anything for me, but I just have to laugh at those types of things in superhero shows/movies :D

Everything you say is true but TBH it didn't faze me. I have come to expect that from Oliver lately, If Thea joins Merlyn it will be on Oliver and his lies.

Cool episode, amazing action and much better acting from the women this time around.

Man I loved Black Canary's voice changer. I braced myself for a half assed female version of Ollies or the Dark Knight but it actually sounded really cool and had this League of Assassin-y air of mysticism to it.

Very cool. She should get Felicity to hook it up to the sonic device.

Oh also I really enjoyed Roy today. I like him more when he's not being super rebellious and stubborn all the time.

Last edited:

I, as a straight male, can happily and easily say that Oliver is a skank. I got weirded out by the way he jumped from girl to girl so easily in each scene and with such conviction it seemed. The Thea thing was crap and made no sense. How is it that a poor ex-thief of a teenager with no shipwreck torture island trauma manages to be a better person than our main character? That is some distorted writing yall. This episode was problematic all around.

I don't get it, is Ollie supposed to be this paragon of all that is good and right with the world ? I bored my self to death just typing that.

The episode was cool, although it was Birds of Prey in episode title only, in my opinion. I walked in knowing Huntress was holding people hostage but I was hoping somehow Oliver was going to be put out of action temporarily in the episode and towards the end Canary and Huntress had to do a quick team up with Felicity helping out from the hideout. Good episode nonetheless. I do see Huntress redeeming herself, especially after the conversation her and Ollie had at the end. I feel like eventually she'll get out of jail and use Oliver as an example of once a killer now a hero (granted she ever gets out/returns on the show).

I loved Ollie calling Roy "Speedy" and I especially like how they remembered it was Thea's nickname earlier in the show. Had this been the "Smallville" writers they would've forgotten or just paid it no mind. Only thing is I think it's incredibly stupid for them to have Roy running around with no mask trying to fight crime. Incredibly stupid. You just never know when or how it could come back and bite him in the ass.

Bring on "Deathstroke".

funny, i found this to be the weakest episode out of the last 3-4. still ok, but lots of head scratching for me. i understand we have to suspend disbelief, but Laurel not picking up that it's Sara within 1 minute (Sara's mouth is as unique as they come, right?) is a huge suspension. throw in the Lance/Ollie phone thing. then, you have Laurel & Lance interacting with Ollie & Sara and somehow it doesn't hit them that it's Ollie & Sara?? they need to resolve this issue ASAP. LOVE the show, i can deal with it, but I'm spending a bit more time then i like laughing at the tv with this aspect.

it seems clear now that they're setting up Laurel to become BC, or something like that. more fight scenes from her with flashes of her holding her own. now the darkness theme. i'm not onboard. Sara is a great BC, i like the Sara character, the actress, etc. Laurel is still super annoying to me.

lastly, the team had a meeting in the bar?? that was pretty weird. i don't know, just too many goofy things going on in this ep. but i freaking love this show.

funny, i found this to be the weakest episode out of the last 3-4. still ok, but lots of head scratching for me. i understand we have to suspend disbelief, but Laurel not picking up that it's Sara within 1 minute (Sara's mouth is as unique as they come, right?) is a huge suspension. throw in the Lance/Ollie phone thing. then, you have Laurel & Lance interacting with Ollie & Sara and somehow it doesn't hit them that it's Ollie & Sara?? they need to resolve this issue ASAP. LOVE the show, i can deal with it, but I'm spending a bit more time then i like laughing at the tv with this aspect.

it seems clear now that they're setting up Laurel to become BC, or something like that. more fight scenes from her with flashes of her holding her own. now the darkness theme. i'm not onboard. Sara is a great BC, i like the Sara character, the actress, etc. Laurel is still super annoying to me.

lastly, the team had a meeting in the bar?? that was pretty weird. i don't know, just too many goofy things going on in this ep. but i freaking love this show.

It's going to backfire majorly on them if they kill off Sara to try to build up
laurel.

Laurel's sure like to rewrite history when it comes to Tommy.I didn't see anything heroic from her last night.They have done nothing to make Laurel
more likable.

The original from Smallville???? You do realize that was just another altered take on the character? The BruceStarkTonyWayne Ollie?

I definitely like the fact that Ollie is everything but perfect... man you can really see him struggeling to be better. His talk with the Huntress in this episode summed it up pretty nicely.
People here don't want him to be Batman, but when he shows the traits that make him into the Oliver Queen we know (also in the comics), that means not always being up to the task and failing a lot to come back better and stronger, you all start bashing him.
He's definitely a hypocrit, but who isn't in the Superhero-community? At least he realizes it from time to time.

And more importantly, the show's creators and writers are aware of it too; and address it accordingly. The most irritating thing is when heroic characters behave hypocritically or in a morally questionable manner and the universe and writers fail to recognise it; instead acting as if they are in the right.

I still HATE this version of Huntress. I like the actress, but the did NOTHNG to make the character more appealing from a writing standpoint. Like I said before, THIS IS NOT HUNTRESS!! This is some psychopath with a cross-bow and this episode only furthered that, and it despise it.

Birds of prey and suicide squad weren't the best episodes this season. Not bad by any means though. I can't wait for the finale it's gonna blow us away. The episode before suicide squad was ****ing LEGIT

I still HATE this version of Huntress. I like the actress, but the did NOTHNG to make the character more appealing from a writing standpoint. Like I said before, THIS IS NOT HUNTRESS!! This is some psychopath with a cross-bow and this episode only furthered that, and it despise it.

Relax! Ollie was a murderer too but he was redeemed. There seemed to be signs at the end of the episode signaling redemption for Helena.

Helena does seem pretty insane but I think she can be redeemed. Sara was in the league of assassins. I'm pretty sure she did some terrible things during her time in the league.

I'm thinking Helena is going to have a bumpy road ahead of her, but I think eventually she will come to resemble the Helena of the comics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"