Arrow Arrow Season 3: Episode 9 "The Climb" - General Discussion

well the comic's it's always been stated as the mid west. though and cali doesn't have a Glades . starling can have one but it'll make it all odd cause the one people in real life know is the one in Florida and there's not other place with that name.

Now I was just thinking when most Si-fi writers talk about metropolis's (not the actual Dc city)or megalopolis's they always talk about the possible fictional city's like starling being a City the cross's 3 or 4 states like being almost as big as California or rivaling it.

but for the east coast south mid west. they can do that for the mid west to Florida . say that starling intersects the mid west to Florida so people won't jump all over them there is a small town gotham in the real life USA from what I under stand now & days in new york state. they can pull it off. metropolis was base on T do AKa Toronto but it was always far north you'd think it's above nYC slightly but some how added Chicago etc cause it rivaled cali some how with its sise

Starling City could be Minneapolis/St. Paul (that be really cool but they rarely show snow), Chicago, or even St. Louis. Makes sense with it's closeness to Keystone (Kansas) with The Flash tv show.

What real cities get mentioned in the comics? All I remember from Batman through the years in DC, New York, and maybe San Fran... but that's usually only during the 70's and 80's.

Starling City could be Minneapolis/St. Paul (that be really cool), Chicago, or even St. Louis. Makes sense with it's closeness to Keystone (Kansas) with The Flash tv show.

What real cities get mentioned in the comics? All I remember from Batman through the years in DC, New York, and maybe San Fran... but that's usually only during the 70's and 80's.
damn I corrected size but it was too late . anyway yeah it could work if they make cross certain states in real life & some misunderstanding's will be avoided.

Starling City could be Minneapolis/St. Paul (that be really cool but they rarely show snow), Chicago, or even St. Louis. Makes sense with it's closeness to Keystone (Kansas) with The Flash tv show.

No the Queen's Gambit sailed from SC to China. It has to be on the west coast most likely around Seattle due to climate.

This episode was so awesome other than Thea's unconvincing martial arts moves when she fought the Arrow. :D

I've always seen it roughly as, location only;

New York City, NY - Metropolis
Atlantic City, NJ - Gotham City
Baltimore, MD or Philadelphia, PA - Blüdhaven
Kansas City, MO - Keystone City
Seattle, WA - Star(ling) City
San Francisco, CA or Los Angeles, CA - Coast City

On the notion of The Glades in Arrow, I see it as mainly a district/area name and not a location names... ala The Narrows, Compton, Queens, etc. and not a geological thing.

I've always seen Gotham as the obvious stand-in for NYC. Heck real-life Mayors of NYC are sometimes referred to as "the Mayor of Gotham" in the media. Maybe I'm mistaken about Metropolis, but I always assumed that it was on the West Coast. Sort of a stand in for LA or SF. Bludhaven is Gotham's "sister city" right across the river, so I had it pegged as being in New Jersey somewhere.

Crying @ Bludhaven being like Baltimore

I've always seen Gotham as the obvious stand-in for NYC. Heck real-life Mayors of NYC are sometimes referred to as "the Mayor of Gotham" in the media. Maybe I'm mistaken about Metropolis, but I always assumed that it was on the West Coast. Sort of a stand in for LA or SF. Bludhaven is Gotham's "sister city" right across the river, so I had it pegged as being in New Jersey somewhere.

There's farm land under Chicago. or some thing close enough to NY state as in near by sorta . I thought it could be near West consin from that 70s show but it's above Chicago. there's Ontario which above is just West consin & Toronto's a part of Ontario. Metropolis was based on Toronto.
But you want it all to be fully USA even though there places where the states & Canada people actually chair a town. especially Hockey towns.

But Small ville is close enough to metropolis so....

Last edited:
I hated the olicity stuff. I'm really disliking how they've bent over for olicity shippers. I hope she dies by the end of the season.

I hope not. Otherwise I'd probably stop watching the show altogether.

I don't think Felicity needs to die. They just need to do a little less with her character. These days, it seems like she and Oliver are the only ones in Team Arrow who really matter. Roy barely ever has dialogue and Diggle seems to only be good for short bursts of wisdom.

I don't think Felicity needs to die. They just need to do a little less with her character. These days, it seems like she and Oliver are the only ones in Team Arrow who really matter. Roy barely ever has dialogue and Diggle seems to only be good for short bursts of wisdom.

This. Hopefully with Ollie gone it will give us more time with Roy and seeing him learn from Diggle too

This. Hopefully with Ollie gone it will give us more time with Roy and seeing him learn from Diggle too

hmm I don't know, I was really bothered with the time Nyssa questioned Oliver about Merlin's second child & then kidnapped Thea cause Diggle did his pearl of wisdom at the wrong when Oliver was telling to come running after her that time with Oliver. when he should have been more observant and thought to him self. "I should keep an eye on her just in case.

he was the former body guard and he has yet to suggested to Oliver after the many compromises to the HQ to add a security system or to relocate . and he was a security/ body guard. I don't know I'd like to say that,,,, but.... He really should have caught on to that stuff.

Bah it's the writers of the shows fault. I want sarge steel to train Roy cause of that introduce him his agency it's in their lore already. I hope they use it or smarten the characters currently there up a little.

Last edited:
Most of the things wrong with the show right now are because of the writing, so...:oldrazz:

yep. In area's they should know better also or have consultants for.

Great episode. Wish they could take out a subplot like canary and give us more ra's.

I think Ollie feels gutted he lost the fight after taking a stab at it. Ras really stuck it to him.

I feel like Oliver got the point that he's simply outmatched.

I've always seen Gotham as the obvious stand-in for NYC. ...Maybe I'm mistaken about Metropolis, but I always assumed that it was on the West Coast.

But Smallville is close enough to metropolis so....

Typically/traditionally, Metropolis is a northeast coastal city - often in NY state and sometimes a substitute for NYC.

Early stories had Smallville relatively close to Metropolis. Smallville, Kansas was first mentioned in Superman The Movie (1978) and has been the preferred location ever since.

I always thought of Metropolis as a midwest city because of its relative proximity to Smallville. I was surprised when I found out I was in the minority in that thought.

Gotham, I always associated with New York, possibly because New York is sometimes called Gotham.

I just joined to post about this episode.

Start to finish it was amazing. The final battle reminded me a lot of when Bane broke Bruce in the sewers in TDKR... Right from when Ra's was barely fighting back at the start, Ollie kept swinging and missing, and the final oh-no-he's-not-gonna do that stab/back snap.

Brutal.

The only quibble I have is that 'twists' like these lose a lot of their shock value because we all know deep down there's no way the title character gets killed off. If Ra's had done that to Diggle or Arsenal we'd stop and think, "holy **** we really lost them." Other than that, it was beautiful.

New York never seemed dirty enough to me to be Gotham. I always figured Gotham was more like a Detroit or Chicago. Has DC seriously never just published a map of where their cities are?

:oldrazz: <==== guess who this smiley is!

It's old Ra's (or classic Ra's) :oldrazz:

This episode was so awesome other than Thea's unconvincing martial arts moves when she fought the Arrow. :D

I liked that. It shows that she has just started learning. She didn't manage to hurt Arrow just surprise him. The skill set was about right for someone only a few months into their training.

^Yeah, I rewatched that scene, it's clear she didn't think she could harm him, she just got a few swings enough to get out and he was just avoiding the hits with the "wtf?" face of how much his sister has been lying to him. Sometimes I don't get a lot of the posters on this forum, there's so much complain of how few time Thea/Roy/Laurel needed of training to be a bad ass, but they show us that they are not bad ass yet, are really just starting and some complaim oh lame/weak/couldn't really fight we get.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"