Arrow ARROW Season 4, Episode 5 Haunted

Best episode of the season. Was great to see Matt Ryan as Constantine again, i really hope they can have him back for another appearance on the show :)

I've been on board with Arrow since season 2 (Deathstroke) after I met Manu Bennett at a convention. Didn't like season 1 so much, but season 2 got me interested and season 3 hooked me - although the main message of the show is " Don't live in Star city !" real estate their must be going real cheap !

While I've never had much time for Green Arrow as a comic book character the show is great and just gets better - Amell is a strong, likeable lead backed up by a decent cast ( I'd say the supporting cast of Flash is slightly better, with the exception of Iris) - but it makes for fun viewing.

People rave about Daredevil - but I think the CW show has achieved
much more, as its revitalized and legitimized one of DC's least credible characters and made him more than just "Batman with a bow"
Not saying DD isn't great, and that as adaptations go it's fantastic, just that IMO Arrow is a bigger achievement (because DD at least has brilliant source material to work from, while Arrow has to invent and re-invent itself as it goes).

Have to say "Haunted" has been the best episode of Arrow yet - drama, some laughs, action and John Constantine - great extended cameo by Matt Ryan. Maybe not a 10 for its depth or emotional impact, but for sheer enjoyability definitely a 10.

Looking forward to next week. :)

I really liked that they played Constantine's theme music when he was performing the spells.

This really felt a bit too rushed. Especially the part with Constantine on the island. Felt really shoehorned in to explain why Oliver knows Constantine. Wish Ollie would have met him during a bigger crisis, so he can see more of his abilities, instead of just seeing abilities that amount to being parlor tricks. "Hey, this Sting looking dude can break out of handcuffs and find trap doors, bet he can restore souls too." But Matt Ryan himself was still amazing. We definitely need to see more of him. If not on Arrow, hopefully he appears on Legends of Tomorrow.

The whole Sara arc didn't do Laurel any favors. It really made her completely unlikable again, until halfway through when she finally apologized, for what she did. But before that, when she was interacting with her father, she pretty much acted like she lost a cat. "I've been looking for her." You know, I'd sound a bit more concerned when my resurrected sister got loose and is killing people around town. The best part of course was when she tried to defend herself. Oh, the reason you didn't confide in Oliver was because you wanted to avoid his judgmental look? That's nice. People are dying, you crazy woman! Also love how it suddenly was all about her again. "You don't see me as an equal. You didn't tell me about Thea. You didn't tell me you were the Arrow! You didn't support me being the Black Canary! Wah! wah! wah!"

Now that Sara is back, hopefully the writers can go back to giving Cassidy decent material, or at least relegate her to subplots where she isn't getting a lot of focus.

The character's appearance was, for now, strictly a one-time deal, but they left the door open narratively 'just in case'.
Yeah, I believe the biggest issue is Matt Ryan's schedule. He's filming a movie and he's actually doing a play 2 blocks away from my job here in NY.

They could always bring him back, but they would need to work around his schedule.

This really felt a bit too rushed. Especially the part with Constantine on the island. Felt really shoehorned in to explain why Oliver knows Constantine. Wish Ollie would have met him during a bigger crisis, so he can see more of his abilities, instead of just seeing abilities that amount to being parlor tricks. "Hey, this Sting looking dude can break out of handcuffs and find trap doors, bet he can restore souls too." But Matt Ryan himself was still amazing. We definitely need to see more of him. If not on Arrow, hopefully he appears on Legends of Tomorrow.

The whole Sara arc didn't do Laurel any favors. It really made her completely unlikable again, until halfway through when she finally apologized, for what she did. But before that, when she was interacting with her father, she pretty much acted like she lost a cat. "I've been looking for her." You know, I'd sound a bit more concerned when my resurrected sister got loose and is killing people around town. The best part of course was when she tried to defend herself. Oh, the reason you didn't confide in Oliver was because you wanted to avoid his judgmental look? That's nice. People are dying, you crazy woman! Also love how it suddenly was all about her again. "You don't see me as an equal. You didn't tell me about Thea. You didn't tell me you were the Arrow! You didn't support me being the Black Canary! Wah! wah! wah!"

Now that Sara is back, hopefully the writers can go back to giving Cassidy decent material, or at least relegate her to subplots where she isn't getting a lot of focus.
I agree, the episode totally felt rushed because there was so much added in. It really should've been a two part episode, but I'm assuming the filming schedule of Matt Ryan, like I said above, played some role int hat, not to to mention they're really trying to set up the Legends characters.

But I really would have liked the "other world" stuff to be more than one segment. I think an entire could have worked, maybe be a bit too much, but it definitely should have spanned more than one commercial break.

The whole other world stuff should have taken at least 2/3 of an Episode. There should have been a proper struggle for Sara's soul. Not killing 3 League Demons and pulling Sara out of a jacuzzi.

The whole other world stuff should have taken at least 2/3 of an Episode. There should have been a proper struggle for Sara's soul. Not killing 3 League Demons and pulling Sara out of a jacuzzi.

agree with all your points on this episode,even your previous post.

I think I could have written a better episode and I suck at writing.

Yea, the writing for Laurel was pretty bad. To me it was none of her business about Thea. Comparing that to, digging up her dead sister (months dead) taking off to a place filled with assassins to bring her back from the dead while every one who knows anything about the Pit is telling her "no! it will only end badly!" Then crying about after the fact because she was a dumb .... But hey with Sarah's soul being brought back I guess she did not need to learn any lesson here. So yea.. bad on Ollie for treating her less than an Equal.

A better ending would be that she had to kill Sarah. That would push some character down her throat.

Keeping his identity a secret from her well.. it is usually a secret for a reason.

So of course she is not his equal. This version of B.C will never be his equal.

How do you guys think the Chinese tattoo Constantine gave him will play into the story. He told Oliver he'll know when to use it when the time's right.

Okay, good episode. Liked it a lot. BUT... I don't know how faithful Matt Ryan's performance is, comics-wise (never been a Constantine guy), but I hated the character. So out of place in Arrow. Over the top and just... ugh. I cringed during every scene he was in.

I think the best part was when Laurel said that Ollie doesn't care about her family. F**king what?! When did he ever not care?! Jesus! He even risked his friendship with Diggle, because he'd go running whenever Laurel needed help.

Laurel. Master of the blame game. No matter how illogical.

What someone else wrote about that.

The lengths Oliver has gone to prove his love and devotion to the Lance family are beyond measure. For Laurel to even question it, after all these years, after the countless times he’s put his body in harm’s way to protect not only her, but Sara and Captain Lance, is beyond insulting.

I had two takeaways from this episode:

-Laurel is awful.

-Constantine, while Matt Ryan was as great as ever, was not handled very well. It wouldn't have been too hard to adjust, even with Ryan's schedule. Show the flashbacks last episode, then have it end with Ollie calling Constantine. Then cut to the chase next week and spend a whole lot more time in the "Other Side".

Last night's episode did a 1.0 initial rating, which is a very normal number for Arrow. Constantine didn't seem to move the needle at all.

Not that surprised. They have tough competition on Wednesdays compared to Flashs Tuesday. Dr.Light may have enticed the audience more then Constantine.

While it was great to see Constantine, there was no real costs to reviving Sarah outside of Nyssa destroying the Lazarus Pit. Oliver and Laurel traveling to Sarah's mind should have left some damages or some sacrifises should have had been made in returning the character.

Also they could have atleast tried to address Speedy's berserker rage and how Constantine may or may not have some trick to help with that as well.

While it was great to see Constantine, there was no real costs to reviving Sarah outside of Nyssa destroying the Lazarus Pit. Oliver and Laurel traveling to Sarah's mind should have left some damages or some sacrifises should have had been made in returning the character.

Also they could have atleast tried to address Speedy's berserker rage and how Constantine may or may not have some trick to help with that as well.

There will be costs, Sarah will take time to heal completely, methinks, during that period she may not be "completely normal".

I felt their talk should've been the start of them getting back together.

Yes! I'm hoping Oliver and Laurel get back together, but I can only imagine the rage from Olicity fans if they do.

She's annoyed me so much this season that I don't really want to see her with anyone. Her whining this episode cranked that up to like 21 honestly.

Maybe they should start by making her a proper character on the show that actually contributes something, before we're talking about anyone getting back together. After they've done a somewhat decent job with Laurel in Season 3, we're back to the blockheaded Laurel, who listens to no one, blames everyone on the stupid **** she's done, and doesn't own up to her mistakes. "You played with forces you don't understand and your sister is killing people." "YOU NEVER VIEWED ME AS AN EQUAL!"

So done.

FSFOh7A.gif

Laurel: "Oh woa is me, you never trust me, you've never cared about my family, you didn't tell me about thea, boo hoo hoo."

Me (to the TV screen): "Oh cry me a river, you're soulless sister is out their killing people BECAUSE OF YOU!! Because you didn't want to listen to ANYONE who warned you not to do it. Also, the Thea thing is both not the same situation and none of your business, and if anything, Oliver has bent over backwards to try and be supportive/accommodating of your family. You don't get to play the victim here.

Laurel: "Oh woa is me, you never trust me, you've never cared about my family, you didn't tell me about thea, boo hoo hoo."

Me (to the TV screen): "Oh cry me a river, you're soulless sister is out their killing people BECAUSE OF YOU!! Because you didn't want to listen to ANYONE who warned you not to do it. Also, the Thea thing is both not the same situation and none of your business, and if anything, Oliver has bent over backwards to try and be supportive/accommodating of your family. You don't get to play the victim here.

Isn't Thea like Laurel's little sister as well? I mean Thea said it herself whenever she needed help Laurel was there. The other thing is after she came out the pit he knew there was a price and told no one, not even the person Thea was living with. She had every right in the world to know.

1. Thea wasn't living with Laurel at the time. And the "little sister" thing is only being played up this season. It wasn't before now. So no, he was under no obligation to tell her then.

2. Different situation. There was a ticking clock scenario with Thea and Oliver didn't want her to be a victim of Ra's sick game. With Laurel, she just heard about the Lazarus Pit and decided "hey, I'll bring my sister back I guess." And then when EVERYONE who knew anything about the Pit telling her not to do so, her response was essentially to stick her fingers in her ears and go "lalalala, I can't hear you, I don't care." And since she DID know about Thea before doing it, that makes it all the worse.

But, as usually, Laurel displays a remarkable immunity to anything approaching self-reflection, and once again the show seems to be letting her off of the hook for screwing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"