Arrow Arrow Season 5 Episode 11: "Second Chances"

Slade W

Sidekick
Reaction score
S5 EPISODE 11 - Second Chances

TALIA AL GHUL TAKES OLIVER UNDER HER WING — In his quest to take down Kovar, Oliver (Stephen Amell) gets help from a surprising source – Talia al Ghul (guest star Lexa Doig). However, when she reveals what she wants from him in exchange, Oliver isn’t sure he can accept her help. Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) attempts to hack the NSA to help free Diggle (David Ramsey) but when her online efforts are flagged, she faces off against an unknown adversary. Meanwhile, Curtis (Echo Kellum) tells the team about a female vigilante, Tina Boland (guest star Juliana Harkavy), he uncovered online who has been wreaking havoc all over the country. Mark Bunting directed the episode written by Speed Weed & Sarah Tarkoff (#511). Original airdate 2/1/2017.

The return of Talia! Pumped for this episode.

So someone spoiled that Tinas real name is Dinah Drake lol. They would go there.

So now they are already putting down Black Siren? That didn't take long. Dinah Drake "focuses her cry better then Black Siren". Seriously.

More connectivity between the shows. I'd love it if in the next episode, we saw the preceding scene where Barry got a text from Oliver, but even if not, that was a nice little cameo.

That's the way to do it, along with Black Flash appearing on Legends and Cisco and Gypsy vibing to Supergirl's world for a few seconds. Keep the crossover stuff brief, but enough for us to get the point and enjoy connecting the dots between the shows.

Dinah Drake is basically the original Black Canary Dinah Drake Lance. But Dinah Laurel and Sara's mother is also named Dinah Drake Lance.

So what did they do? Pull a Henry James Olsen from Smallville with Laurel?

I guess Laurel was a 4 season herring, then?!

Time to bring Dinah Laurel Lance to Supergirl!!!

Anybody find it funny that Arrow basically told her she shouldn't kill somebody just after they took out like 20 guys and shot down a helicopter?

So what did they do? Pull a Henry James Olsen from Smallville with Laurel?

Well at least Felicity didn't end up the Black Canary. lol

Anybody find it funny that Arrow basically told her she shouldn't kill somebody just after they took out like 20 guys and shot down a helicopter?

Not to mention Oliver seemed fine going back to killing or at least using brute force throughout this season.

Not to mention Oliver seemed fine going back to killing or at least using brute force throughout this season.

Are we meant to believe that Spartan and Wild Dog both use non-lethal bullets? Wild Dog in particular appears to have absolutely no qualms about killing anyone who gets in his way, whether they're the main target or just some helpless sap who answered a "want ad" for a part-time security position.

Oliver to fauxCanary "Don't kill the guy that killed your lover" *kills 20+ guys in 40 mins*

So unless this Dinah is into Women, given Oliver's track record, it'll just be a matter of time before he ends up in bed with her as well, probably as a result of pity sex.

Well at least Felicity didn't end up the Black Canary. lol

Give it time ... give it time!

Given that Dinah appears to be an unusually common name in the Arrowverse, I wouldn't be surprised if Felicity's full name is Felicity Megan Dinah Laurel Oracle Smoak.

I doubt it about Felicity Smoak as she's a comic book character who was the stepmother of Firestorm Ronnie Raymond.

^ This Felicity has nothing in common with the comic-book character. She's an original character just like John Diggle, Eddie Thawne, and Alex Danvers.

As far as Tina/Dinah goes, I think it's a neat twist that continues the Berlantiverse's trend of both honoring the comics and simultaneously playing around with them.

Arrow reeks desperation with all of this.

First we get "Dinah is to old of a name" so they go with Laurel.

Then we get "We don't have to follow comics, we can kill off Black Canary"

Followed up with "Black Canary is VERY important to Arrow, we cant have a show without her in it"

Reavealed with "Well....we'll name her Dinah Drake to justify having a Black Canary and make sure to tell us that she is better then Black Siren. Come at us comic fans who said only Laurel could be Black Canary!"

As far as Tina/Dinah goes, I think it's a neat twist that continues the Berlantiverse's trend of both honoring the comics and simultaneously playing around with them.

This is how I feel about it too. Just like "Thea Queen/Mia Dearden" or making us wonder if Tommy was the Dark Archer because his last name was Merlyn until it was revealed that it was his dad, or Bill Wintergreen appearing as Deathstroke before Slade, or Yao Fei wearing Oliver's hood before Oliver did, or Sara being the first Black Canary. Arrow does this stuff all the time. I'm not happy about how they did it (killing off Laurel, replacing her, trashing Black Siren, etc.), but it's not unusual and I'm willing to see if it works.

Crap episode. I don't even know why I continue to watch. The show does absolutely nothing for me anymore and the only episode I've actually enjoyed this season was the crossover.

This is how I feel about it too. Just like "Thea Queen/Mia Dearden" or making us wonder if Tommy was the Dark Archer because his last name was Merlyn until it was revealed that it was his dad, or Bill Wintergreen appearing as Deathstroke before Slade, or Yao Fei wearing Oliver's hood before Oliver did, or Sara being the first Black Canary. Arrow does this stuff all the time. I'm not happy about how they did it (killing off Laurel, replacing her, trashing Black Siren, etc.), but it's not unusual and I'm willing to see if it works.

I'm not getting where this notion that they trashed Black Siren is coming from, but this really is in line with those examples you cited.

Also, for anybody who says that Arrow already gave us a Dinah Drake in Sara and Laurel's mother, her maiden name was never given onscreen. It was just assumed that it was Drake based on the information we had at the time.

How did they trash Black Siren? Made her everyones toy. Promethus used her to get at Oliver, Felicity used her to get to Promethus, Oliver was trying to use her to feel better about himself then tonight they state how Dinah Drake is more skilled in her use of her Canary Cry.

It's just overkill at this point. 3 1/2 Canaries in 5 seasons? Come on now.

If they never gave us Dinah Laurel Lance I could try to embrace Dinah Drake but they basically pissed on her and set her on fire and after 4 years of giving myself to the character, well "once you let the darkness in, it never comes out"

^ How, exactly, does any of that trash the character? I think you're actively looking for reasons to dislike this decision (and I say this as a huge fan of the Arrowverse Laurel Lance).

^ How, exactly, does any of that trash the character? I think you're actively looking for reasons to dislike this decision (and I say this as a huge fan of the Arrowverse Laurel Lance).

How doesn't it trash the character? What justice did they do to Black Siren?

Saying that Tina/Dinah has more control over her powers doesn't mean anything whatsoever when it comes to the merits of the Black Siren version of Laurel; it also doesn't say anything whatsoever about what may yet come of the character, whom we definitively haven't seen the last of yet.

I've not always supported some of the narrative decisions that the Berlantiverse shows have made, but trying to paint this latest decision as some kind of middle finger towards or diss of the Laurel Lance character (in either her Earth-1 or Earth-2 guises) is just looking for a reason to dislike the Tina/Dinah Drake character without giving her a fair shake.

It absolutely means something, it's already setting a clear line between DD and Siren. It is saying that DD is superior to Siren in their use of their powers. It was a line that wasnt even needed.

And this is so many middle fingers to LL/KC fans it isnt even funny but like I said earler: If they never gave us Dinah Laurel Lance I could try to embrace Dinah Drake but they basically pissed on her and set her on fire and after 4 years of giving myself to the character, well "once you let the darkness in, it never comes out"

I never said anything against Dinah Drake as a character, just that I won't be embracing her.

The new black canary just feels wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"