Artemis Fowl film

Airwings

Waves of air
Reaction score
How many people here actually want to see Artemis Fowl making the way to the big screen?
I do!

But nothing is happening. The years just go by without any movement. I searched the web again, and learned to know that Eoin Colfer started writing a first treatment together with Jim Sheridan and Simon Carmody. That was back in 2006.
But because of the writer's strike, the project was put on hold.
I guess everybody know this already. But I still want to start an actual Artemis Fowl thread, as he hasn't got an own.

There are both facts and rumours surrounding the production, and I guess nothing is really decided yet. I want to sum up a few things that are written on the web.

*The film will be based on the first two books.
*Eoin Colfer is "deeply involved" with the script making.
*Jim Sheridan seems to be the director.
*The film will be true to the books.
*Miramax and Disney couldn't agree at first, regarding the project.
*The film will have a new ending, written especially for the film and not a part of any of the books.
*The rights are with two companies right now, Disney and Weinstein Company.
*Will be shot in Ireland, atleast partly.
*Colfer wants a cameo in the film, as a goblin.
*Seems to be live action by now, instead of cgi.
*Saoirse Ronan could be Holly Short (Colfer/Sheridan likes the choice). Other actresses mentioned for the role have been Cameron Diaz and Winona Ryder
*Aidam Mitchell is interested in the leading role (other actors over the years have been Nicholas Hoult [too old now, but Colfer mentioned him many years ago] and Hero Fiennes-Tiffin [a little fan favorite])
*Many fans want Jason Statham for Butler
*Timothy Olyphant was linked to play Foaly before.

I am happy with most of this. I can see the reason to why they use two books for the first film, because the first is a little too thin story-wise to work as a whole film. But I would have done it a little different, and not used anything from Arctic Incident. It is rich enough to work as a film of its own... in other words, a sequel.

Last edited:
I'ld watch it. I remember reading the first few books as a lad. The tricky part is finding an actor that can play Artemis. The rest is gravy.

I would adapt the whole first book as a film, but not only that.
As we know, Artemis meets Mulch Diggums for the first time in this book.
But the second time they meet is not in the second book The Arctic Incident, but in a short story in the book The Artemis Fowl files.
I would flesh out the film with adapting that stort story as well here. After the events at the Fowl mansion, the film continues with the plot in The Seventh Dwarf, which takes place at a circus.

But I won't stop there. Before Artemis and Butler kidnap Holly Short, I think she needs some character development of her own. I would want to have her first mission on the outside world adapted as well. The short story
LEPrecon could easily take place during the first 15-20 minutes of the film.

How about that?
I think all this together would make an impressive family film.
And I want Matthew Vaughn to direct. He did Stardust and it was a really entertaining, well-done and fun fantasy film with a great cast, something Artemis Fowl needs to be too. And the sci fi elements would spice it up even more. Imagine a Stardust who also has high tech in it. Amazing.

Hope the production speeds up before Hero Fiennes-Tiffin gets too old. An Artemis Fowl film series won't need more than two films anyway. The sequel having Artemis' arch nemesis Opal Koboi, and it will just be enough.
Third book The Eternity Code is different from the others and won't be needed as a film.

Last edited:
Looks like things are happening:

The Walt Disney Studios Adapting Artemis Fowl with Harvey Weinstein
The Walt Disney Studios announced today that it is in development on the film adaptation of Artemis Fowl with producer Harvey Weinstein. The live-action feature will be based on the first and second installments in Disney Publishing Worldwide's best-selling children�s fiction series by author Eoin Colfer. The screenplay is being written by Michael Goldenberg (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix). Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal will executive produce the project.

�With its balance of mystery, adventure and family appeal, 'Artemis Fowl' is a natural fit for Disney," said Sean Bailey, president, Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture Production. "We're looking forward to collaborating with Harvey on this exciting project."

"Harvey is one of the preeminent producers in the industry, with impeccable taste and creative instincts," added Alan Horn, chairman, The Walt Disney Studios. "I had a wonderful time working with Harvey during my tenure at Warner Bros., and I'm very happy to continue that relationship here at Disney."

"If you would have told me five years ago I would be producing a project with Disney I would have thought you were crazy," said Harvey Weinstein, Co-Chairman of The Weinstein Company. "I feel as though everything is coming full circle considering Bob De Niro and Jane Rosenthal brought me this book while I was still at Miramax and within hours I told them I wanted the rights to the film. I am thrilled to be reunited with Alan Horn who I worked with while he was at Warner Bros. and we had tremendous success with 'The Aviator,' 'Starsky and Hutch' and 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.' It is also exciting to partner with friends Alan Bergman, Sean Bailey and of course Bob Iger who has been incredibly generous to me over the years. This is a special project for me because my children absolutely love this book. This story is for everyone and there is no one better than Disney to make a film that will excite people young and old."

Artemis Fowl is about a 12-year-old Artemis who is a millionaire, a genius - and above all, a criminal mastermind. But Artemis doesn�t know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy (Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit) to harness her magic to save his family. These aren't the fairies of the bedtime stories - they're dangerous.

The "Artemis Fowl" book series currently has more than 21 million copies in print in 44 languages worldwide.

Hope they avoid the most silly Disney tone in this film. The style of the first Potter could work, but not anymore childish than that

This is the official thread for the Artemis Fowl adaption, started when the film was stuck in development hell. The thread is still valid and will function well for discussion. Stop being so stubborn about only going for the newer thread. Is it more interesting because it has another TS, or what?

Anyway, I want the film to be based on the first bok and the two stort stories "LEPrecon" and "The Seventh Dwarf". Not based on book 1 and 2, as reported.

You just took my quote from the other Fowl thread...

Someone who's done fantasy or sci fi before, to direct this!

Hero Fiennes-Tiffin to play Artemis.

It's as easy as that!

Well he seems a decent enough fit for the material, but I kinda feel like this movie missed its window.

Well he seems a decent enough fit for the material, but I kinda feel like this movie missed its window.

It's so weird that it's taken THIS long to get to this on the big screen. It's like 14 years over due.

There are some properties where it's timeless, and there are some where you gotta strike the iron when it's hot. This kinda falls into the latter.

I think the concept of a somewhat criminal Harry Potter type may be different enough.

My only issue with the production is Harvey Weinstein, who is GREAT with Indie Dramas, but awful at Genre Films, like The Giver. You can tell instantly that it was only green lit because of Hunger Games, and then was 'retroactively' designed to look like Hunger Games (with the production designs and future tech) even though they're nothing alike. And what happened to his silly 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' sequel? It's still hasn't been confirmed if it's in Chinese, and we haven't seen one photo from the set yet.

I'm still game for it after all this time. If anything, if they can create a unique enough aesthetic, and with the Harry Potter franchise now over, this can stand more on its own rather than just audiences seeing it as a Harry Potter rip off and aping off that success.

I think the concept of a somewhat criminal Harry Potter type may be different enough.

And that's the thing, Artemis himself is pretty much not at all like the character Harry Potter. He started off pretty much as a Bond villain.

I'd be more interested in this if I didn't know ahead of time that the last movie (if it ever got that far) would have a ****** ending.

With Kenneth on board, I 'm sure this will be really good.
Maybe he'll cast Stellan Skarsgård as he did in his previous blockbusters.

I hope for the sake of the quality, he gets the right actor for the lead.

I get the feeling this'll turn out like other (kids, YA?) book adaptations, where it just feels cheap, hollow and boring

THR JULY 29, 2013:
Disney, Harvey Weinstein Teaming Up for 'Artemis Fowl'
Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal will executive produce the adaptation; says Weinstein, "If you would have told me five years ago I would be producing a project with Disney I would have thought you were crazy."

THR 10/11/2017:
Disney Terminates Harvey Weinstein as a Producer on 'Artemis Fowl'
Mia Galuppo & Borys Kit said:
Harvey Weinstein has been removed as a producer on Disney's Artemis Fowl, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

"We have terminated his services as producer," said a spokesperson for Disney, which has been developing the project with Weinstein for years.

The news comes the day after Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger spoke out against Weinstein, saying in a Tuesday statement: "Harvey Weinstein’s reported behavior is abhorrent and unacceptable, and it has no place in our society."

While still at Miramax, Weinstein picked up the rights to the Eoin Colfer series during the height of Hollywood’s Harry Potter craze in the early 200s, when many studios were looking to find the next YA fantasy to bring to the screen. When Weinstein and his brother Bob left Miramax in 2005 to form The Weinstein Co., the book rights reverted back to Disney, which at the time owned Miramax.

The project fell into inactivity after the Weinsteins' acrimonious split from Disney, which later sold its stake in Miramax. Disney picked up the rights to the books in 2013, this time with Weinstein on board as a producer. (Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal, who were to produce when it was still at Miramax, are exec producing now.)

Artemis Fowl, which follows a 12-year-old genius that runs his family's criminal empire and believes he can prove the existence of fairies, has been heating up this year when the studio dated the movie for an Aug. 9, 2019 release. More recently, director Kenneth Branagh began early casting forays.

Since the revelations of decades of sexual harassment and assault allegations, as outlined in The New York Times and The New Yorker, Hollywood has began to distance itself and from the movie mogul.

TWC has reached out to multiple networks and granted them permission to remove Weinstein's name from the credits, including Project Runway and Paramount Network's Waco miniseries and drama Yellowstone.

Disney Finds Its ‘Artemis Fowl’ Lead, Adds More To Cast
Irish-born newcomer Ferdia Shaw has been cast in the lead role of Disney’s Artemis Fowl, the live-action adaptation of Eoin Colfer’s children’s books. Josh Gad, Judi Dench, Lara McDonnell and Nonso Anozie have also joined the cast of the pic, which Kenneth Branagh is aboard to direct from Conor McPherson’s script. Shooting starts early next year in the UK.

The project was originally optioned by Harvey and Bob Weinstein’s Miramax in 2000, reuniting the Weinsteins with their former owners Disney (Disney Publishing Worldwide published the book series). After the Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment scandal surfaced in October, Disney removed him from his producer role; Branagh and Judy Hofflund are producers.

The books’ plot centers on 12-year-old Artemis, who finds himself in a battle of strength and cunning against a powerful, hidden race of fairies who may be behind his father’s disappearance.

An August 9, 2019 release date has been set. Disney said it auditioned 1,200 candidates for the role of Artemis before choosing Shaw, who will make his onscreen debut. Gad will play Mulch Diggums, a kleptomaniacal dwarf who works for the fairies — and himself; Dench will play Commander Root, the steely leader of the fairy police force; McDonnell is set as Captain Holly Short, the elf hero; and Anozie will play Butler, Artemis’ formidable bodyguard.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/artemis-fowl-cast-ferdia-shaw-josh-gad-judi-dench-disney-1202230710/

Forgot all about this thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"