Artemis Fowl film

This movie will be the 2019 equivalent to the Nutcracker.

Artemis Fowl is a popular book series. It has a built in fanbase that should keep it from totally bombing right out the gate. I suspect it will simply be a box office disappointment.

Nutcracker and the Four Realms never really stood a chance. The Nutcracker is a 19th century Russian ballet. The sort of people that go watch that ballet werent clamoring for a questionable film adaption slathered in cgi. And the questionable film adaption slathered in cgi didnt have it's own in-built fanbase that could help it. It didnt even have the benefit of nostalgia.

Frankly I dont know why Disney made a Nutcracker film before a Fantasia film. Fantasia is afaik a beloved Disney film with fans. Critics praised the original. Even the sequel Fantasia2000 was favorably received by critics and audiences. Its ripe for a remake and has the prestige of being part of Disney's classic catalogue.

Saw a comment on YouTube that made a good point about how changing Root to a woman screws up Holly Shorts character. Holly is supposed to be the first female LEPRecon officer. Shes constantly having to fight back against the male officers and prove herself. Root is a mentor/slight antagonist and driving force that she plays off of. By changing Root to a woman theyve robbed Holly of her motivation, and her central conflict.:wall:

Looks great to me! I wonder if they intend to film them back to back so the Star doesn’t age too quickly?

Oh come now we’ve only seen one trailer. And even if it doesn’t take off there’s always Netflix or something

Looks like the designated skippable Disney movie like A Wrinkle of Time and Pete's Dragon. It just doesn't look very interesting.

Has anyone ever noticed that Disney is NOT good at launching new live-action franchises and original movies?

Has anyone ever noticed that Disney is NOT good at launching new live-action franchises and original movies?
Been that way for a while. That swhy they set out to just acquire a bunch of other properties and companies.

Doctor Strange. Guardians of the Galaxy. Ant-man. Black Panther. Captain Marvel. = new live action franchises
Wreck It Ralph. Moana. Coco. Zootopia. Inside Out. Queen of Katwe = original

NOT bad. Unless you don't count animated films as original. You should check their catalogue.

Last edited:
I said live-action.
And the Marvel Studios franchise was set up years before Disney snatched it up.

Wrinkle in Time is an example of that - and Narnia (that was Disney, right?). Artemis Fowl will be the same way, I'm sure.
There's another one too, isn't there? I feel like I'm forgetting another dead-on-arrival Disney live-action movie based off a classic book, but I can't remember which one I'm thinking of.

Doctor Strange. Guardians of the Galaxy. Ant-man. Black Panther. Captain Marvel. = new live action franchises
Wreck It Ralph. Moana. Coco. Zootopia. Inside Out. Queen of Katwe = original

NOT bad. Unless you don't count animated films as original. You should check their catalogue.

Those are Marvels Studio and Paramount and Feige launched the MCU. Not Disney and Iger.

And the animated films arent what's being discussed.

Wrinkle in Time is an example of that - and Narnia (that was Disney, right?). Artemis Fowl will be the same way, I'm sure.
There's another one too, isn't there? I feel like I'm forgetting another dead-on-arrival Disney live-action movie based off a classic book, but I can't remember which one I'm thinking of.

"John Carter". Which I liked.
And "Tomorrowland" is another one. Which I liked, as well.
And "Million Dollar Arms" and "The Finest Hours".

This looks like it could be fun.

Also, on the record, I love Pete's Dragon (both) - may be adoptee bias there though....

Those are Marvels Studio and Paramount and Feige launched the MCU. Not Disney and Iger.

And the animated films arent what's being discussed.
Paramount didn't launch Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Gotg, and Dr. Strange with Marvel Stud10s. They might be branches of the Mcu (which didn't start wity Disney) but those films still needed an approval from Iger as Marvel Stud10s is owned by Disney. While Ant-Man was released when Disney already got Marvel. While films from Pixar and Wdas are pretty much Disney films. The films I mentioned are all under Disney, and it wasn't like Disney was merely distributing them.

The thing is the poster quoted is using this film, to criticize Disney when in fact, Disney is the #1 major film studio at the box office for years now and majority of their films in the past few years are reviewed well based from Rotten Tomatoes, especially if we compare their track record to Fox, Sony and the rest of the big 6.

Theyve said Dench affected a really unexpected gravelly demeanor for the character so that may have been her speaking in the trailer.

When we started to rehearse, she leant forward, and her shoulders stooped and her voice dropped, and then suddenly this gravelly, Churchillian, curmudgeonly figure started to emerge... I saw all of those actors suddenly, naturally go to attention when they saw Judi, who had this swagger and this cool, who had this great leather coat, who carried the authority quite so effortlessly. She walked out of the craft, looked up at the house, and said [in an Irish accent], ‘Top of the mornin’.’ It was a real sense of a memorable character walking into a movie and owning it, saying ‘I love my clothes, I love my look, I’m in charge, and I’m here to make mischief.'

Judi Dench's Commander Root from Artemis Fowl is revealed in new image

Last edited:

Iger bailed so this and New Mutants didn't come out under his tenure.

I'm not a book reader, but isn't Artemis Fowl basically supposed to be an antihero of sorts? Like he's basically like a kid Bond villain. An evil genius, sorta like Stewie Griffin?

This makes him basically look like a superhero. Like young Batman or young James Bond.

Yeah, the material seems like it's been adapted for the Disney PG audience.

The book series was one of many YA-series that popped up in the wake of the success of Harry Potter, and I think some 15-20 years ago this could have been a major release. Today it feels like it's more likely it will go the same way as most live-action Disney-movies that aren't Marvel, Star Wars or remakes of animated classics do.

Yeah, this looks pretty off.

And I’ve liked Kenneth Branagh’s last few films for the most part; Thor, Cinderella and Murder on the Orient Express.

This looks more Jack Ryan for kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"