Article on how SF made games more complex

Discussion in 'Misc. and Multiplatform Games' started by GekigangerV, Nov 15, 2007.

1. GekigangerV Registered

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/leve...ame-industry-shot-itself-in-the-joystick.aspx

Interesting quote

I, for one, don't think the majority of games have gotten too complex. I was 6 when SF2 first came out and loved it. I don't recall ever complaining about controls, except for maybe the spinning pile driver, but I got that down when I was 9.

I think it is more how controls are implemented that determines how complex it is. A game can use all four face buttons and L1,L2,R1,R4 on the PS2 and be intuitive or it can suck and unresponsive.

Games would have gotten really repetitive if controls didn't evolve.

2. SouLeSS Registered

It's not saying that it's hard, it's saying that Street Fighter paved the way for most of the games now a days in terms of controls. Before it, pretty much no game had a combo system like SF had. Not like, 14 hit combos and ****, but like the down to forawrd plus heavy punch stuff.