Asia-Pacific News Thread

Foreign Affairs - The Weakness of Xi Jinping
How Hubris and Paranoia Threaten China’s Future

LEAD_RTX2QSQK.JPG.webp

NY Times - China Delays Indefinitely the Release of G.D.P. and Other Economic Statistics

The unusual move comes as the country’s ruling elite have gathered in Beijing for the twice-a-decade national congress of the Communist Party.
China, the world’s second-largest economy, announced without explanation on Monday that it was delaying indefinitely the release of economic data that had been scheduled for Tuesday morning, including closely watched numbers for economic growth from July through September, which had been expected to show continued lackluster performance.

TradingEconomics.com - Heatmap - Economic Indicators By Country

Unfortunately seems like it's on the cards in the not-too-distant future. :csad:

Funny how foreign spies keep popping up in MAGAland.

It's too late for lockdowns to be worthwhile anymore, especially since I suppose most of them are vaccinated anyhow.
Yeah, and the Chinese government aren’t used to protests on this scale.

Yeah, and the Chinese government aren’t used to protests on this scale.
The government will have to realize they are greatly outnumbered. When the people reach the breaking point, it's game over. They really need to compromise.

I don't think that "compromise" is in the Chinese government's vocabulary. Some kind of backlash is going to come. It may only incite the protestors more, though. We'll see.

I don't think that "compromise" is in the Chinese government's vocabulary. Some kind of backlash is going to come. It may only incite the protestors more, though. We'll see.
Oh, no doubt trouble is brewing. People will follow rules when they are helpful and make sense, like in the beginning. But two years later? People being abused and torn away from their families? I don't think they will put up with it for long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"