Asian Cinema = yay

Mentok said:
So Close is good, but little generic.

I wasn't fond of So close either. Did anyone see Shutter or the Eye 2, or Audition?

Lucy Diamond said:
i like it more if they're dubbed in english

What's the point of watching Asian films then? Just watch English films instead if you're just gonna neglect the original emotions set by the actors.

Skaigear2 said:
What's the point of watching Asian films then? Just watch English films instead if you're just gonna neglect the original emotions set by the actors.

because i dont like reading text and watching a movie at the same time. *****

i watched the Eye 2 while i was in thailand. It stopped being scary whenyou understood that it was about natural reincarnation.

I also watched Ong Bak the thai warrior. While the movie isn't that great the fight scenes are excellen. I think the Actor Tony Jaa has a really unique style that hasn't been in movies that much western ones atl least. The dude seem just as agile as a young Jackie Chan as well.

Lucy Diamond said:
it was pretty...it was all green screen like Sky Captain/Sin City. the bad guys reminded me of X-Men character ripoffs (Magneto/Toad/Mystique/Sabertooth).

as for the story, i cant really tell you.:(

didn't u watch it with subtitiles?

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/amasoni2002/shl/internationals/wind_and_cloud_(2002).htm

The Wind and Cloud movie had a good plot even though the effects could've used a bit of work lol... It's based on a very popular Chinese comic.
wc_gpb1.jpg

oldboy and sympathy for mr vengence are two great korean films.

Anyone know when Seven Swords is coming out in the US?

Riven said:
House of Flying Daggers

(epic story about a rebel uprising against a ruler in feudal China, if you liked Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, you'll love this)

In The Mood For Love

(Romantic story about two people who fall in love after discovering their respective partners have been cheating on them. Poetically strange atmosphere ensues)

(semi-sequel to In the Mood for Love. The protagonist is a writer trying to deal with the sadness over his failed relationships by writing a surrealistic sci-fi novel. More poetic weirdness and lush cinematography ensue)

Bin Jip

(a young man meets two people, a man and a woman, who break into houses when the owners are on vacation. A mysterious love-triangle ensues)

Hero

(about a warrior who travels to the court of the emperor, to tell him he has killed the three master assasins threatening the emperor's life. The story is told from three different viewpoints, which begs the question: what is the truth?)

The Seven Samurai (and anything by Kurosawa for that matter)

NICE a Wong Kar Wai fan. Seriously, that man is the best director I know. In addition to In The Mood For Love and 2064 (which I'm dying to see because ITMFL was so incredible) another film that is a must is Chungking Express.

In terms of other Asian cinema (which is the best cinema around these days if you ask me) All About Lily Chou-Chou is another maasterpeice.

Lucy Diamond said:
because i dont like reading text and watching a movie at the same time. *****

You really should try, you're missing half the performance and the director's vision if you settle for dubbs.

Moved In the Mood for Love up to the top of my netflix list and watched it today based on what you people have said. man, what a strange movie. its so beautiful, and simple, yet claustrophobic and confusing. i liked it though, such a unique directing style

Oldboy said:
Moved In the Mood for Love up to the top of my netflix list and watched it today based on what you people have said. man, what a strange movie. its so beautiful, and simple, yet claustrophobic and confusing. i liked it though, such a unique directing style

If their is a master of simplicity and mood it is Wong Kar Wai.

can i buy In the Mood for Love at a store or do i have to order it

It's criterion collection as far as I know. All his movies except 2046 should be available at a store. Try Virgin Records if you're having trouble tracking it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"