At the Mountains of Madness - Guillermo Del Toro's Next Project! - Part 1

http://latinoreview.com/news.php?id=1291

The story is written in first-person perspective by Professor William Dyer, a geologist from Miskatonic University. He writes to disclose hitherto unknown and closely kept secrets in the hope that it will deter a planned and much publicized scientific expedition to Antarctica. On a previous expedition to Antarctica, a party of scholars from Miskatonic University, lead by Dyer, discovered fantastic and horrific ruins and a dangerous secret beyond a range of mountains taller than the Himalayas. The group that discovered and crossed the mountains found the remains of fourteen ancient half-vegetable, half-animal life-forms, completely unknown to science after digging deep into an underground cave.
Six of the specimens seem to be badly damaged, the others uncannily pristine. The extremely early date in the geological strata of these "fossils" is problematic because of their highly evolved features. Because of their resemblance to creatures of myth mentioned in the Necronomicon, they are dubbed the "Elder Things". When the main expedition loses contact with this party, Dyer and the rest of his colleagues travel to their camp to investigate. They find that the camp has been devastated, and the men and dogs slaughtered, with the body of one of their friends and one dog missing. Near the camp they find six star-shaped snow mounds, each containing one of the damaged specimens.

Script Review - http://latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=43
Rate - A+

Looks like a great idea :up:

5HPnI.jpg

Pretty much this^^^ the way its described in the script is like The Thing.

Last edited:
its going to happen. because it needs to. del Toro was born to direct this movie.

What do we know about the possible cast? Tom Cruise and Ron Perlman, who else?

What do we know about the possible cast? Tom Cruise and Ron Perlman, who else?

I don't think they have said any names other than Cruise, but I'd like to see Cumberbatch as either Pabodie or Atwood. Piper, you've read the script as well?

I don't think they have said any names other than Cruise, but I'd like to see Cumberbatch as either Pabodie or Atwood. Piper, you've read the script as well?

Those are some good casting choices right there. I've read the ATMOM script, it's incredible. I really hope we'll see this movie hit the big screens.

Those are some good casting choices right there. I've read the ATMOM script, it's incredible. I really hope we'll see this movie hit the big screens.

How did you feel about
Shoggoth's worshiping Cthulhu
?

Del Toro pretty much said he wanted Cruise for the lead, didn't he?

How did you feel about
Shoggoth's worshiping Cthulhu
?

I like it a lot actually, and how the Elder Things were sacrificed in order to summon Cthulhu, just imagine the visuals of Cthulhu emerging from the mountains with the aurora australis. Talk about cosmic horror!

I like it a lot actually, and how the Elder Things were sacrificed in order to summon Cthulhu, just imagine the visuals of Cthulhu emerging from the mountains with the aurora australis. Talk about cosmic horror!
Fair enough, I was initially put off by it, I felt he was kinda tacked on, but its grown on me.

I know Carpenter was heavily influenced by Lovecraft, but I hate how this script seemed to be pretty much a knock off of The Thing.

The irony here is that "Who Goes There" is a knock off of "At the Mountains of Madness"

I'm about half-way through the script, and I'm totally digging it. :word:
However, I'm pretty surprised by how different it is from the story. Pretty much the only thing similar are the characters' names so far, haha. But I understand why - Lovecraft rarely used dialogue, and most of the descriptions in the story are in flashback. You don't actually see anything, you only read of it in a memoir type of writing.

Those who have thought that Lovecraft is "boring" or "tedious", you're not entirely crazy. Even Del Toro and Carpenter have implied as much. His writing is insanely wordy without really getting into the meat and potatoes of the story until you realize it's largely passed you by. I'm not surprised that most of his work hasn't been adapted. This is not to say that he wasn't a good writer - he's one of my favorites - but it's not hard to see why people don't like him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"