Atheism : Love it or Leave it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that atheism is just becoming the new trendy thing to be, in all honesty. I'm not saying all atheists are just looking to be trendy, but it seems like a lot of the kids who are claiming to be atheists, just do it to be different.

It seems to me that atheism is just becoming the new trendy thing to be, in all honesty. I'm not saying all atheists are just looking to be trendy, but it seems like a lot of the kids who are claiming to be atheists, just do it to be different.

That's in part why I did it. It's easy not to believe in God if church is boring and you're being told to do stuff.

I've always felt that people should be allowed to choose their own beliefs, which in part is why I disagree with religion being organized.

I don't believe in atheism, which means it doesn't exist. A lot of people are just fooling themselves, and others into believing it does. It's rather sad and the older ones should be ashamed of themselves for spreading lies and fairy tales about "Science" and "technology". There is no spiritual evidence to support any of their claims, yet they keep pounding away like Einstein can just PROVE things.

wait... can I get banned for that much playful sarcasm?

I personally believe there's no such thing as a "true atheist". What I mean by that is this: my opinion is that anyone, regardless of race, creed, sex, background, etc....if the situation they face is terrible or horrifying enough, they'll call out to God at some point, even if it's with their dying breath.

To quote someone I respect and admire: "Some people say, "God's not real". Oh, just hang around..."

just for clarification. I was attempting to be humorous with what I said before. Someone's spiritual decisions are not my buisness. My statement is in no way related to Moviefan's

So we can assume you can take bits of all sorts of religons and say hey that kinda sounds like a muslim etc...or that kinda sounds like a Jew.

But let's not tell these people that each religon has similar goals...that would piss off the world. :whatever:

There is no question that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam have many similarities as all three are considered to be Abrahamic faiths.

The religion of Abraham was pure monotheism and each religion considers him their second father.

There is no question that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam have many similarities as all three are considered to be Abrahamic faiths.

The religion of Abraham was pure monotheism and each religion considers him their second father.
This really depends on how you define monotheism. Catholicism (the religion from which all christian religions branched) has, at times, been accused of polytheistic teachings, and from the inside I can see their point. We put a lot of influence on the Trinity, the Madonna, and the Saints.

I know religious people come off to atheists as crazy and preachy(I'm not a preachy religious nut)but of all the atheists I know in person and on here, they all seem sad, angry, sadistic, sarcastic, and just a plain old d***. What seems to be a Mormon or Christian's goal to turn non-believers into believers, it seems to me atheists want to turn believers into non-believers.

While I agree they have the habit of conversion in common, those that I've "met" haven't really come off as miserable to me. maybe some of them were a little short tempered, but I doubt that has anything to do with their religious beliefs.

I personally believe there's no such thing as a "true atheist". What I mean by that is this: my opinion is that anyone, regardless of race, creed, sex, background, etc....if the situation they face is terrible or horrifying enough, they'll call out to God at some point, even if it's with their dying breath.
You are wrong.

There are many recorded death bed statements where family members have offered "religious solace" that was angrily refused by bitter old dying atheists, totally pissed off that someone would waste their last few moments with such nonsense.

There are also many who are perfectly at peace with their perceived status as "Happy Accident", who truly agree with the old quote:

"I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

I know it's really hard for you to imagine anything outside of your own personal experience, and that you think you "know" things that can't be known, but I assure you, trust me, you are wrong to believe that there are NO "true atheists". :o

You are wrong.

There are many recorded death bed statements where family members have offered "religious solace" that was angrily refused by bitter old dying atheists, totally pissed off that someone would waste their last few moments with such nonsense.

There are also many who are perfectly at peace with their perceived status as "Happy Accident", who truly agree with the old quote:

"I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

I know it's really hard for you to imagine anything outside of your own personal experience, and that you think you "know" things that can't be known, but I assure you, trust me, you are wrong to believe that there are NO "true atheists". :o

I definitely agree. A family member of mine was recently diagnosed with cancer, which will kill him in six to eight months. He's been an avid atheist for the majority of his life, though his wife is an 'on the fence' Catholic. She told him now would be a perfect time to find religion. His response? 'bad place no. You know I don't believe in that.'

Sometimes people do actually believe what they say they believe in (or don't believe in)-- even in the face of death.

While I disagree with the belief itself (or lack thereof), I don't have a problem with atheists unless they insult the beliefs of theists. One of my closest relatives is an atheist (she was brought up Catholic) and so is one of my best friends. Some of the ones on here and in the media, however, seem to have massive sticks up their asses.

I really view atheism no differently than any other religion / philosophy / whatever you want to call it, even if I can't grasp some of its basic ideas associated with.

While I agree they have the habit of conversion in common, those that I've "met" haven't really come off as miserable to me. maybe some of them were a little short tempered, but I doubt that has anything to do with their religious beliefs.

Yeah, misery accompanies the person, not necessarily what they believe in or follow. There are miserable Christians, too. I know I was. I still don't know whether I was angry with Christianity in general, or the sometimes off-topic, hate-filled rants of my various pastors. It didn't matter, though. I hopped from denomination to denomination, and found that the misery followed me wherever I went. Then one day, I said 'screw it' and decided to abandon faith altogether. Ever since, a part of me feels empty-- but I'm certainly not miserable. In fact, my life is much better now that I'm in control of my own life.

Of course, I'm not a true atheist, either. I'm not sure what I believe in, in terms of faith.

Yeah, misery accompanies the person, not necessarily what they believe in or follow. There are miserable Christians, too. I know I was. I still don't know whether I was angry with Christianity in general, or the sometimes off-topic, hate-filled rants of my various pastors. It didn't matter, though. I hopped from denomination to denomination, and found that the misery followed me wherever I went. Then one day, I said 'screw it' and decided to abandon faith altogether. Ever since, a part of me feels empty-- but I'm certainly not miserable. In fact, my life is much better now that I'm in control of my own life.

Of course, I'm not a true atheist, either. I'm not sure what I believe in, in terms of faith.

You are agnostic, or as Stephen Colbert would say, "an atheist with no balls."

You are wrong.

as much as I disagree with wilhelm, I have to agree with him on this.

I'm not an atheist, but I wasn't brought up in any religion at all. I've never even been to church. I don't know what that makes me.

I find your lack of faith distrubing

So does this guy named Jesus. Great guy-- turned water into wine, helped the homeless. The whole 'you'll go to bad place if you don't believe in my father' act, though--- that's just not my cup of tea.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
I chalk those kinds of moments up to the phrase "only God knows all hearts". People often say things that deep down, they don't believe (even when at death's door). As Scripture says, "Man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord judges the heart".

As for my earlier statement, I was referring to times when people faces very severe times, and often spout things like "Oh, God!" Unlike some, I honestly don't think the name of God is ever simply used without reason. The Father's name can be abused (as in swearing), or uttered in times of shock, regret, anger, or joy...but there is always a reason when people choose to use it. Conscious or subconscious, everyone knows that the name of God is powerful. I mean, come on...when's the last time you heard anyone ever say "Oh, Buddha-damn"? People use God's name instead, during moments of anger or stress...and why? For the power, authority, and importance His name conveys, even when used sinfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"