Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes well, I don't think Amon was THAT desperate. The mask and the faux origin was supposed to be enough. That and his dulcet tones.

A true believer in their cause goes that extra step. That is what I thought happened at first.

Last edited:
Okay sorry about the outburst after reading through reddit i just Read the one redeaming thing that makes the finale awesome. From what i read Korra was planning to kill herself to restart the cycle when she went to that cliff. That alone makes up for all the other crap.

My responses in spoiler:
2. This show is a miniseries. They had to wrap up everything because they weren't expecting a season two and it wasn't in the pitch. Season 2 came later. That is why the whole show was wrapped up neatly.

Season two was planned from the beggining

Okay sorry about the outburst after reading through reddit i just Read the one redeaming thing that makes the finale awesome. From what i read Korra was planning to kill herself to restart the cycle when she went to that cliff. That alone makes up for all the other crap.

Lol wut? Lulz. I need a link to one of the writer's for that. Other wise desperate fans be reaching.

Season two was planned from the beggining
No it was announced as a short miniseries. Then season two got picked up.

Lol wut? Lulz. I need a link to one of the writer's for that. Other wise desperate fans be reaching.

No it was announced as a short miniseries. Then season two got picked up.

Exactly.

As for the first thing, if that was true, you would think they would of given some real indication of it. It that was their intention, they failed.

Actually, I agree. Especially the way that tear drops down. Classic suicide imagery. This episode had some very dark themes. And they're handled incredibly well.

This officially stopped being a kids show when they showed a murder-suicide.

Can't think of too many kids shows that had their protagonists contemplating suicide.

you have to remember that it is show on Nickelodeon and that kids watch it.

Which is why it is extremely unrealistic to expect your audience to believe that your intention was for your lead teenage character to be contemplating suicide.

Last edited:
Yeah, because they'd never show someone committing suicide on Avata- oh wait.

Which is why it is extremely unrealistic to expect your audience to believe that your intention was for your lead teenage character was contemplating suicide.

Like I said until someone official says it, I don't think that is what they were going for. A reviewer is not an official source. It's still just opinion.

Its alright for the "bad guys" to die but for your main protagonist to contemplate suicide and have it right there on a children's t.v. channel. Parents would have been in an uproar

Actually, the fact that Aang showed up right that second, and the fact that it happened so shortly after a suicide... (plus the whole tall cliff, tear drop thing), makes it about as obvious as they can make it.

A spiritual experience just as someone is about to take their own life. Aang even says "lowest point".

Yeah, because they'd never show someone committing suicide on Avata- oh wait.

It is completely different. Korra is the teenage lead character. You want to pitch suicide as a viable option for teens? You think that would play well?

But also, if that was there intention, then they should have made it clear. The idea crossed my mind while she was riding out (the only way to bring a true Avatar into the world), but I never got that intention from her.

Actually, the fact that Aang showed up right that second, and the fact that it happened so shortly after a suicide... (plus the whole tall cliff, tear drop thing), makes it about as obvious as they can make it.

No, walking over to the edge, putting your foot over the edge and closing your eyes as you are about to leap is how you make that obvious.

And really, you can interpret the other scene as stopping evil. There would be no such interpretation for that with the Korra scene. That would be literal child suicide.

But you're missing the point though. Yes, she was suicidal. But then Aang intervened. Gave the speech. You think teens don't get suicidal? Used to be quite an issue... still is.

I don't think they were allowed to make it obvious.

She was pretty low but I never really got that intention from her and still don't read it that way.

But you're missing the point though. Yes, she was suicidal. But then Aang intervened. Gave the speech. You think teens don't get suicidal? Used to be quite an issue... still is.

I don't think they were allowed to make it obvious.

That is the thing though, Aang was proud of her. He told her she found her spiritual self. Suicide does not equate to having found one's spiritual self.

Am I to believe Aang was proud of a girl about to commit suicide?

It is completely different. Korra is the teenage lead character. You want to pitch suicide as a viable option for teens? You think that would play well?

But also, if that was there intention, then they should have made it clear. The idea crossed my mind while she was riding out (the only way to bring a true Avatar into the world), but I never got that intention from her.

Korra has been trained since she was around 5 to be the Avatar. She has no real personal life until she came to Republic city. She IS the avatar.. that is all she really knows at this point and it has just been taken away from her. If she was thinking of suicide, and I mean thinking because she obviously didn't jump, then she was probably thinking it would be better for her to die right there and let the next avatar be born then wait 100 years for the next. She was dangling so close to the edge that her tears were falling into the ocean rather then the snow at her feet.

I personally don't think she was thinking about it, she is so brash I think if that were the case she would have made the leap and Aang would have saved her then. Yet I understand where people are coming from in thinking of this as a possibility.

In either case I am sure Mike or Brian will chime in on the issue when one of the fans eventually ask them.

If this is how they ended season 1 can't wait for season 2 maybe they will actually have a conclusion for the whole benders vs. non bender conflict

Season 2 was planned later on, probably halfway through what was believed to be the one and only season. You have to remember this sort of show takes years to produce and they were on tight budgets, deadlines and more than likely had other projects to work on. When we got the news of both seasons the creators REPEATEDLY stated that the two seasons were created independently from one another because of this sudden pick up.

As for the Amon anger, upon reflection is just a lot of us fans raging that "My idea was WAY better" as if we wrote the show. Its just a case of fandom wanting things to go their way not unlike shipping. In fact I daresay Amon's identity was an even bigger issue than shipping. We all had our theories, 2nd/3rd guesses and hopes. But that wasn't the story Mike and Bryan wrote.

Amon is the brother of Tarlokk, Sons of Yakone the Bloodbender. A character that we didn't expect. But to say he was underwhelming just because he wasn't who you wanted him to be is pretty much pointless. As a villain he was constant in the season, he was always there whether in person or a the aura of fear he radiated, far more so than Ozai. He was unfortunate to once again have to deal with a type of bending that he probably isn't familiar with at all, which was the challenge of the entire Fire Nation in ATLA. That's right, Airbending.

So the fandom's imagination took a life of its own. It happens. Way too often if you ask me. But does that diminish the show? No. There were a lot of restraints, both in terms of production and censors but I think Mike and Bryan did they're very best to deliver a story worthy of the world of Avatar. Remember, this show is still their baby and thus far they've done all they can to respect the wishes of the fans.

I'll give my rating for the entire season here

9/10

Why 9? Because it was short. Everyone's going to have opinions on the matter. Part of being a fandom, but if you are writing off the mainly because you didn't like the reveal is pretty damn petty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"