Age of Ultron Avengers 2: Rotten Tomato Watch (No Spoilers l Spoiler Free Zone) - Part 1

I want to be clear on this so nobody is misunderstanding my point.

My thing is this, if you show me a bias against Marvel then I would consider it but there isn't any proof. Considering most critics were down with, in my opinion, mediocre to bad films like The Dark World and Iron Man 2 my thought is that there is nothing Marvel can do to get below a certain Rotten Tomatoes rating.

Even though the likes of Guardians of the Galaxy was well praised a lot of the 10/10 and 5/5 reviews were from Websites like CBM.com etc. the regular critics gave that movie like 3 stars or 7/10 critics are hard to please they nip pick too much. Chris Tookey gave the Dark Knight 2 stars in 2008
I love Guardians. Love it. Saw it five times in theaters. It isn't exactly Goodfellas or Seven Samurai. Come on now.

People care way too much if critics like it or not. I am comfortable enough in my own skin to be my own critic. Heck, my favorite Christopher Nolan film isn't the darling The Dark Knight! It is Interstellar, which scored about 20% lower than TDK did! Rotten tomatoes is great for cooler talk, but it in NO WAY defines my opinions on movies. You don't need a percentage to validate your opinion. Opinions don't have a percentage. Watch the movie and judge for yourself.

It sickens me. Everyone is ready to trash critics as not understanding their film if they don't like it. When they do, they validate all the great reviews and hold them up as showing how awesome the movie is.
It is so obvious, it is kind of painful. I always stick up for the critics, even when I don't agree. It is there right have an opinion, even if it is ridiculous.

I want to be clear on this so nobody is misunderstanding my point.

My thing is this, if you show me a bias against Marvel then I would consider it but there isn't any proof. Considering most critics were down with, in my opinion, mediocre to bad films like The Dark World and Iron Man 2 my thought is that there is nothing Marvel can do to get below a certain Rotten Tomatoes rating.
If TDW can stay fresh, yeah I don't think there is a bias. IM2, which I think is devastatingly mediocre, I can almost understand. I don't agree, but I get it. But not TDW.

I admit I'm often a hypocrite when it comes to my reaction to reviews. It's something I have to work on.

I never claimed to be perfect or sensible all of the time.

People care way too much if critics like it or not. I am comfortable enough in my own skin to be my own critic. Heck, my favorite Christopher Nolan film isn't the darling The Dark Knight! It is Interstellar, which scored about 20% lower than TDK did! Rotten tomatoes is great for cooler talk, but it in NO WAY defines my opinions on movies. You don't need a percentage to validate your opinion. Opinions don't have a percentage. Watch the movie and judge for yourself.
I think we hit a crossroad with fans of properties and fans of film. You have posters like you Spider-Fan who are really into film and the characters. And then those that are just really into the characters and brand. It is just a different pool of knowledge.

I admit I'm often a hypocrite when it comes to my reaction to reviews. It's something I have to work on.
I have seen reviews so ridiculous, with clear agendas and I have commented on them. But with the vast majority, I defend the idea. Even with MoS, I defend the critics. I thought many were wrong and explained why. That doesn't mean they have some overall agenda.

Even though the likes of Guardians of the Galaxy was well praised a lot of the 10/10 and 5/5 reviews were from Websites like CBM.com etc. the regular critics gave that movie like 3 stars or 7/10 critics are hard to please they nip pick too much. Chris Tookey gave the Dark Knight 2 stars in 2008

Actually the average review score for GoTG was the same for the top critics as it was overall. Not to say there were many top critics rating it 10/10, but the average didn't change, even though the percentage among top critics was 85% vs 91% overall.

I think we hit a crossroad with fans of properties and fans of film. You have posters like you Spider-Fan who are really into film and the characters. And then those that are just really into the characters and brand. It is just a different pool of knowledge.

I definitely see this. It is RIDICULOUS that a critic can't make a bad review of TDKR or a Hobbit film without someone threatening them. I just don't get it. For me, a critic can sometimes help me when deciding to see something I am on the fence for seeing. If it is something I will end up watching anyway, then the score is just for my personal amusement. I am not going to burn down someone's home next year if they trash Captain America: Civil War. Marvel has my money, well unless I die, LOL! But seriously, I just don't get this mentality. I love watching films and dissecting them, but I also love to debate the merits of film, also. Isn't that why we are all here? If everything was just universally loved, what is there to discuss? There would be no reason to post here if this was a hippie community on every movie that comes out.

I've always said you're your own critic. Judge the movie based on how you feel and not what others feels. The film that I completely detest in the MCU is IM2. That deserved to be destroyed by critics but it was saved by RDJs performance. It had like one or two good scenes and that was it.

Sitting at 78% RT. Once all the review comes in it may end up 65-70%.

I've always said you're your own critic. Judge the movie based on how you feel and not what others feels. The film that I completely detest in the MCU is IM2. That deserved to be destroyed by critics but it was saved by RDJs performance. It had like one or two good scenes and that was it.
Except when you are completely wrong about the plot, say for a movie like IM3. In which case, don't trust yourself. :sly:

Sitting at 78% RT. Once all the review comes in it may end up 65-70%.
Could go either way. American critics are usually harsher, but sometimes it isn't the case. We shall see.

I definitely see this. It is RIDICULOUS that a critic can't make a bad review of TDKR or a Hobbit film without someone threatening them. I just don't get it. For me, a critic can sometimes help me when deciding to see something I am on the fence for seeing. If it is something I will end up watching anyway, then the score is just for my personal amusement. I am not going to burn down someone's home next year if they trash Captain America: Civil War. Marvel has my money, well unless I die, LOL! But seriously, I just don't get this mentality. I love watching films and dissecting them, but I also love to debate the merits of film, also. Isn't that why we are all here? If everything was just universally loved, what is there to discuss? There would be no reason to post here if this was a hippie community on every movie that comes out.
I think I do understand it. If all you care about is the characters and the brand, all you are really looking for is validation. It is almost like being a sports fan. When everything is going well, life is great. When you team isn't getting praise or even losing, suddenly life sucks and you go into super defensive mode.

Now if you are here for the characters and the film, well it is a lot different. I can enjoy many movies, that I still see as flawed. I can take my fandom and put it to the side. RotJ is probably my biggest example. I think it has a lot of problems, but I adore it. If for nothing else it is Star Wars and how great the Luke and Vader's arcs are.

I have seen reviews so ridiculous, with clear agendas and I have commented on them. But with the vast majority, I defend the idea. Even with MoS, I defend the critics. I thought many were wrong and explained why. That doesn't mean they have some overall agenda.
Intellectually I do not believe that the majority of critics have a secret agenda. The vast majority should be defended from attacks from fanboys.

Intellectually I do not believe that the majority of critics have a secret agenda. The vast majority should be defended from attacks from fanboys.
I like how you use secret agenda. Because I do remember the more overt, no more "darkness, no parent" superhero movies phase. :funny:

I think I do understand it. If all you care about is the characters and the brand, all you are really looking for is validation. It is almost like being a sports fan. When everything is going well, life is great. When you team isn't getting praise or even losing, suddenly life sucks and you go into super defensive mode.

Now if you are here for the characters and the film, well it is a lot different. I can enjoy many movies, that I still see as flawed. I can take my fandom and put it to the side. RotJ is probably my biggest example. I think it has a lot of problems, but I adore it. If for nothing else it is Star Wars and how great the Luke and Vader's arcs are.

As a fan of something, sure I am more inclined to enjoy a property like The Avengers over the same exact movie with new characters. Partly why studios want that brand name. But, for me, film is a personal experience. It speaks a language to no two people the same way, and that is the beauty of any art form. When you try and make that into like supporting a sports team, you sort of miss the point of the art form. I get that people try to do that, but I think in doing so, people are missing the point of art. If the movie speaks to you, then it succeeded. Regardless of an RT score. I think this is something more people need to realize.

Welcome to the dark side of the Internet age. On the bright side, I don't think it's as bad as sports fans.

Welcome to the dark side of the Internet age. On the bright side, I don't think it's as bad as sports fans.
Really? Because I still remember the Avengers incident. Don't really get that with American sports. If we are talking football around the world, yes. But that went far beyond talk sports venting. You see a lot of misogynist behavior when it comes to female critics.

As a fan of something, sure I am more inclined to enjoy a property like The Avengers over the same exact movie with new characters. Partly why studios want that brand name. But, for me, film is a personal experience. It speaks a language to no two people the same way, and that is the beauty of any art form. When you try and make that into like supporting a sports team, you sort of miss the point of the art form. I get that people try to do that, but I think in doing so, people are missing the point of art. If the movie speaks to you, then it succeeded. Regardless of an RT score. I think this is something more people need to realize.
I agree 100% Spider-Fan. :up:

Sadly that isn't the norm it seems. Everything now seems to boil down to, it sucks or its awesome. Nuance isn't the order of the day.

Really? Because I still remember the Avengers incident. Don't really get that with American sports. If we are talking football around the world, yes. But that went far beyond talk sports venting. You see a lot of misogynist behavior when it comes to female critics.

Yes. Until I see a Marvel or DC fan brutally kill another rival fan outside a theater, we are not as bad as sports fans (And before anyone mentions the Aurora theater shootings, that guy was a madman, his motivations had nothing to do with getting back at Batman fans, he just wanted to find a high profile place where he could kill alot of people).

And believe me I'm not excusing the behavior of the people like the incident on TDKR where Rotten Tomatoes shut down the user comments because of a few bad reviews.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_violent_spectator_incidents_in_sports

I agree 100% Spider-Fan. :up:

Sadly that isn't the norm it seems. Everything now seems to boil down to, it sucks or its awesome. Nuance isn't the order of the day.

Agreed. It also gets me when we bash critics for a movie we didn't see yet. The people in countries that have the movie out already have every right to comment on whether the critics got it right or not, but I have absolutely none until Thursday.

impressed.gif

Yes. Until I see a Marvel or DC fan brutally kill another rival fan outside a theater, we are not as bad as sports fans (And before anyone mentions the Aurora theater shootings, that guy was a madman, his motivations had nothing to do with getting back at Batman fans, he just wanted to find a high profile place where he could kill alot of people).

And believe me I'm not excusing the behavior of the people like the incident on TDKR where Rotten Tomatoes shut down the user comments because of a few bad reviews.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_violent_spectator_incidents_in_sports
That you boil it down to shutting down user comments bothers me. Threatening someones life isn't a small thing, nor is threatening to harm a woman in the ways that were mentioned.

Are some sports fans insane? Yes. That doesn't mean the same mentality doesn't apply to some fanboys, though I agree we haven't seen the same extremes thankfully. Here is the thing though, when one sports fan kills another, it has nothing to do with sports. There is something beyond that wrong with the murder. Just like the Aurora incident.

Critics Consensus: Exuberant and eye-popping, Avengers: Age of Ultron serves as a suitably satisfying sequel, reuniting its predecessor's unwieldy cast with a few new additions and a worthy foe.

I wish the score was a bit higher, but the consensus sounds pretty good to me. I'd be more than satisfied if the movie reflects the consensus. It'd also be pretty sweet if it makes over $2 billion :oldrazz:.

I wish the score was a bit higher, but the consensus sounds pretty good to me. I'd be more than satisfied if the movie reflects the consensus. It'd also be pretty sweet if it makes over $2 billion :oldrazz:.
Don't trust the consensus yet. It could still change. I have seen it in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"