Avengers: Age of Ultron Fan Review Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' started by DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

"Girl Friday" is an old school term used for a female personal assistant, most famous for this Howard Hawks classic:

[​IMG]

Known for its snappy banter. In fact, Tony and Pepper's rapport, in the 1st IM especially, has gotten a lot of comparisons to this.

2. CrypticOne

CrypticOne Poetic Violence

Got back a couple hours ago. I thought it was better than the first Avengers, but that's just me. Felt more connected to the characters and liked seeing their relationships progress and be more of a team.

Don't see why people are saying the Black Widow/Hulk relationship came outta no where. Seems like it was set up in the first Avengers. They had prominent scenes in that film and I think Whedon had it in mind as he was making that film. I really hope that couple comes back.

Liked seeing Vision and Thor interactions, as well as Stark/Banner, with Stark being the older brother that gets the little brother (Banner) into constant trouble. Loved their fight too. Amazing.

Twins didn't bother me as I thought they would and I actually felt they were pulled off great. Really felt for them and their struggle.

4/5

3. Blackman

Blackman C'mon Son

See I said this when the AVengers first came out and members thought I was crazy. I knew there was something there

Still kinda upset that they didnt even mention Betty.

4. A Necessary Evil

A Necessary Evil One. Bad. Day.

Loved it. In many ways I think it is better than the first film, but it suffered from too many cuts, and you could tell. The pros faaaar outweigh the cons, as I honestly had only two issues with the film, honestly:

Jumpy scenes
    Quick-Ass dying was unnecessary IMO.

9/10

5. Thegeekfreax

Thegeekfreax Active Member

Just got back. Loved avengers 2, great action, ultron and scarlet witch were amazing, I am glad everyone got their moment, can't wait to what is next in the mcu.

6. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Just got back from seeing it. Pretty seriously underwhelmed. The first Avengers is my second favorite movie of all time, so I'm kind of bummed that I didn't love this.

I went in knowing that it wouldn't be as joyous as the first one. That's fine. But I get the feeling that the editing hurt it.

That little side mission for Thor with the water was POINTLESS. They could have taken the few important seconds of it, inserted it into the appropriate scene earlier in the film, and then completely removed the later scenes. I'd have been fine with them just not showing him during that long stretch. You are slicing a movie down for time and leave THAT in?

That's not to say that I HATED it...I just didn't love it. I actually did like it for the most part, I just don't care to ever see it again (though I will watch the extended DVD). Given that we already know about Civil War and and Infinity War, I saw this as just a set-up for future stuff, as opposed to THE big moment of a Phase. I'd say it ranks 5th or 6th on my MCU list (behind Avengers, The Winter Soldier, Guardians, Iron Man and maybe Thor).

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  7. JangoNate

JangoNate Well-Known Member

Just got back and haven't had time to really process everything. Overall...I think it was pretty spectacular. It really felt like a comic book, especially with all of these little side stories that might not fit the current narrative, but you know they'll be important early on. No comic truly has a 'the end.' There's always the next comic.

Humor was wonderful, action was on point, and the crowd around me was lively. The entire theater erupted when Vision casually handed Thor his hammer.

Cannot wait to see it again!

"Language!"

8. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Well...that was ****ing awesome.

9/10

9. The Shape

The Shape In the shadows

There's a lot to enjoy in AOU, namely the insanely awesome action, but it left me underwhelmed overall. I felt it lacked the sincerity of the first Avengers film. Too many things felt forced or shoe-horned into this story, and nearly all of the drama outside of the action was quite weak.

There were times where I almost felt I was watching the same movie as the last one. :(

10. Picard Stewart

Picard Stewart Well-Known Member

Can't believe what a huge step down this was from the first film. What happened, Whedon?

Ultron started off so strong despite the complete lack of Pym and then everything just went fast and forgettable afterwards.

I enjoyed the quiet moments, specially the stuff with Nat and Banner. Hated that they combined
    Vision and Adam Warlock

8/10, barely for me.

Glad The Russos are taking over for Infinity Wars

11. ShadowBoxer

ShadowBoxer Well-Known Member

Just got back from seeing it in IMAX 3D with a sold out crowd. I absolutely loved this movie. As a long time Marvel comic book and movie fan, this film had everything I wanted to see. The story was good, the cast was good , the humor was good, James Spader KILLED it as Ultron and it Paul Bettany was also great as Vision. My few gripes is that Ultron's turn to evil was like instant with no real reason why he was evil. He was created and then suddenly hated Tony, the Avengers, and humanity itself all within seconds. I can forgive that fact that he wasn't created by Pymm in the MCU, but it still slightly bugged me. The Bruce and Natasha romance felt a little forced. It was also weird Bruce never mentioned Betty Ross, even Pepper and Jane got mentioned, and Peggy is shown in Caps vision so why no Betty? As much as I like Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver they didn't get much character development and their reason for hating Tony was kinda flimsy. Lastly, didn't like Quicksilver getting killed. Nitpicks aside, I still loved this and I think it's superior to the first movie in everyway.

9/10

P.S IMAX 3D really didn't add anything to the experience. I would definitely recommend a 2D showing. So if you were planning on seeing this is IMAX 3D I would say save a few bucks and see it in 2D.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  12. kedrell

kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

Not quite as great as the first one but still great, I'd say.

9/10

Really looking forward to that extended edition. All the new added characters were very well done.

13. Leenie

Leenie Well-Known Member

I share pretty much the same sentiment, except for the last sentence.

14. First Avenger

First Avenger Well-Known Member

IDK apart from bits of the final battle I felt the movie was different enough from the first.

15. Great Mind(s)

Great Mind(s) Broken

I agree Ultron's motivation was rushed but Spader was fantastic. There was not enough Ultron in the film, I really hope the extended cut has much more of him

16. hafizbat

hafizbat Wild Cherry

I posted this in the RT thread but I'll put it here too. Maybe I'll do a more in-depth review later, but here are my thoughts after finally watching it.

Age of Ultron blew me away. It was freaking amazing. I honestly LOVED it. Everything just clicked for me...it was everything I could ever hope for as an Avengers sequel. I understand why critics are mixed on it. It does feel rushed and awkwardly edited. Not every joke lands. It is definitely overstuffed and there are too many characters to juggle. Some plot points are questionable. The score is entirely forgettable (I can't even remember it and I saw it an hour ago). I'll probably never argue with someone saying it's not a "great" movie or that TWS and GotG were "better".

But yknow what? I LOVED it. I think it's Marvel's best yet. I know I'm high after just watching it, but I can tell when I truly love a movie and AoU is without a doubt one of my favorite CBMs ever. I love The Avengers to death, but this movie blows it out of the water. It was definitely the most comic-booky movie I've ever seen, especially compared to critical darlings like TDK and TWS. I think I was pretty spot on with my prediction: Neutrals who don't like Marvel stuff won't like it, the critics will be mixed, and MCU fans will love this movie to death. AoU may not be Marvel's objectively best movie, maybe even far from it, but this movie is without a doubt the greatest reward Marvel could have given to their fans. It's a movie made by a Marvel geek for Marvel geeks. I will say that this movie is imperfect as is, but with an extended edition it could be even more MARVELOUS. It's definitely a movie that could be very significantly improved with more time to breathe.

So how do you follow up a movie like The Avengers? To me, the answer is undoubtedly with Age of Ultron. Thank you Joss Whedon!

17. hafizbat

hafizbat Wild Cherry

:up::up:

18. Leenie

Leenie Well-Known Member

I just got back home from a long drive. It's 3am, so my apologies if this post comes across as rambling. I wanted to post my initial thoughts and reaction on the movie ASAP, though. Here it goes ...

This is a good movie, but I can't say that it's a great one. As a comic book fan, there's a lot to be happy about with this movie. As a movie fan, though ... I can't help but feel that this is a much weaker effort than the first Avengers movie. I went to see this with some friends who are very much into comics, and also some friends who aren't into comics (but have seen and enjoy the Marvel movies). The friends who are not into comics seemed very confused by the movie and left the movie asking me (and my other nerdy friends) several questions. There are a lot of plot points rushed in this film, mainly Ultron and The Vision. Sure, one can argue that general audiences can "just go with it," but I can't. The movie bloated itself too much when it really did not need to.

This felt like a very different movie from the first Avengers, which is a positive thing. I don't feel the "been there, done that" sequelitis with this movie. There is more story, there is a different tone, and there are more risks that Whedon took with this movie ... But I think that story could have been told in a much more cohesive manner. To tell non-comic book readers to "just go with it" doesn't cut it, and I feel that's AoU's biggest problem. All of that said, though, I had fun watching this movie and I will more than likely see it again in theaters very soon, but it's not "Top 10" list material for me.

My favorite character of the movie was Hawkeye, without a doubt. He was awesome here, and I am so glad that he got the attention he's deserved. Jeremy Renner is great in the role, and the writing for his character is great here. Also, I totally friend "ship" him and Black Widow. Their dynamic is awesome, and they don't need to have a romance to be awesome together. Speaking of romance ...

I'm OK with Black Widow and Hulk being a couple. I like how Natasha is genuinely attracted to Bruce and how she isn't afraid of him (and the reasons for not being afraid are well-handled here). That said, though, I felt the relationship was a wee bit rushed on Banner's part. I would have liked a bit more development.

I loved James Spader as Ultron. So many people in other threads said he was a retread of Loki, and I couldn't disagree more. Ultron is funny when he wants to be, and he is menacing when he wants to be, too. He is an (un)intended product of Tony Stark's; would it not make sense for him to have some snark in him? I wish there had been MORE of him though. He falls short compared to Loki in the first film because I don't think we spend enough time with Ultron. This results in a lot of the movie's problems, methinks. His plan felt rushed, and I didn't feel that emotional connection with the character's motives simply because he isn't shown as much as he should have been. Rushing Ultron also rushed Vision, which is also a disappointing thing.

I really feel that this is the Avengers' Iron Man 2, if that makes any sense. I've never disliked Iron Man 2, but I do acknowledge that it's a flawed standalone movie. In the grand scope of the MCU though, I think that Iron Man 2 has gotten better with time. I feel that the same will happen to Age of Ultron, because there's just SO much in this movie that sets up for future Marvel films (especially Civil War, Thor: Ragnarok, and the Infinity Wars).

Now, where do I rank this in the MCU? Well, here we go ...

1. The Avengers
    2. Iron Man
    3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    4. Guardians of the Galaxy
    5. Captain America: The First Avenger
    6. Iron Man 3
    7. The Avengers: Age of Ultron
    8. Iron Man 2
    9. Thor
    10. Thor: The Dark World
    11. The Incredible Hulk

Keep in mind that I haven't disliked an MCU film yet. :)

19. cryptic name

cryptic name No Limits

I loved it. Whedon is a mad genius. That is all.

20. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

I actually think that Age of Ultron will get WORSE with time. Whenever a new superhero movie or tv show comes out, it seems like most people gush about how awesome it is. Then, after the "new car smell" has worn off, they start accepting problems that they did not acknowledge previously. I remember being crucified every Tuesday because I dared suggest that the middle of season 1 of Agents of Shield wasn't perfection. This movie already has a bunch of negative reviews and a ton of "well, I liked it it but it should have been better" reviews. That means that as the new release high wears off, it could drop even further in people's minds.

21. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

Today is a day I have been looking forward to ever since I left the theater back in 2012. As a lifelong fan of the Avengers, seeing the team come together was one of my favorite cinematic experiences ever. Naturally, I was equally interested to see if the franchise can maintain it's quality. Despite a few mixed reviews coming in this week, I just don't see the problems. While certainly more fast paced than the first film was, the film still delivers on almost every front.

I want to start the review with the Avengers we know. I was scared coming into the film that Iron Man would take over the movie. Much of the advertising made me feel like this was possible, also. However, I am glad to say he doesn't. I am sure whenever we see who had the most screentime, Iron Man likely has the most, but the film does a great job of juggling the characters. Hawkeye is given a much more defined arc in the film, and I was glad we got to learn more about his life. While I have seen mixed feelings about the Black Widow and Banner romance, I thought it worked great for the film. Much like other classic Whedon romances, it felt doomed from the start, but ultimately it was fun to follow. Hulk himself isn't the scene stealer he was in the first film, but he still gets his punches in. As a Captain America fan, I felt he had somewhat of a reduced role in this film. It's not so much in the way of screen time, but more so Captain America mostly just gives orders and serves as the conscience of the team. We don't see him grow much in the film, but that being said, we got great action scenes and seeing Captain America lead the team is just wonderful. I would say Thor's storyline sort of fell into the trap of sequel set-up, but I think it was important for the Avengers to learn more about the stones, so it makes since. All in all, I like what they did with the main Avengers.

Now, let's move onto our new Avengers and the villains. In the long history of the Avengers, Scarlet Witch and Vision are two of my all-time favorites. Vision comes in late, but he feels like the breakout character of the film to me. He is well used, steals almost all scenes he is in, and has great character moments. He was the best addition to the movie. I was also surprised how much the Scarlet Witch was given. I would say she had as much focus as several of the main Avengers, and Elizabeth Olsen does a great job with the character. We got to see a bit of her light and dark side in the film, and Olsen captured both. I heard mixed things on Quicksilver, and while he may not have been the scene stealer that we saw in the X-Men: Days of Future Past version, I still liked him. Doesn't get as much focus or lines as her sister, but I feel Aaron Taylor-Johnson maximized the time he had. Overall, each new member I felt to be a solid addition. I also am pleased with Ultron himself. Yes, Ultron goes from 0 to 70 once he is created, but within the context of the film, it made sense. Computers learn faster, so he formed his opinions on humanity quickly. It got the story moving faster, and led to some amazing monologues by the deranged robot. I would say Ultron is probably my second favorite villain in the movies to this point. That being said, I felt Baron Strucker was wasted. He is a great villain and deserved more than the glorified cameo he got. If the role was going to be that small, I would have used someone less important. As a long time Captain America fan, that part didn't thrill me.

One common thing people said about the first film negatively was that it looked very “TV” esque. While I don't think the camera work of the first film was the best part of it, Age of Ultron certainly upped the game in that regard. Shots are far more dynamic and flow better. This was clearly a point of emphasis for the production, and it was a success. Another thing would be that other Marvel solos have had better scores than Avengers did, and Age of Ultron's score is also not that dynamic in comparison. Listen to Doyle's work on Thor and then watch Age of Ultron, no comparison. So, this was an area that could have been improved, but in general the movie looked and sounded better than the first film did.

Overall, it will probably require more thought on how I would compare it to the rest of the Marvel Studios library of films. My initial gut feeling is that Avengers had more magic and was more enjoyable, but that Age of Ultron had more ambitious story goals. Due to it being more fast paced and story focused, I do feel it had less defined arcs than the first films did, but the story itself I found very compelling, which isn't a shock since Joss Whedon has always been good at maximizing what he has. Overall, I probably enjoyed Avengers more, but Age of Ultron I do feel is still one of the better Marvel Studios films and that may change over time. I don't care about any of the dirty laundry that seems to be going on with Whedon and Marvel. I came out of this movie today very happy, and for me that is a win. Thank you for bringing this team together and for all your hardwork Mr. Whedon!

Overall Rating - 4.5/5

22. TX85

TX85 Well-Known Member

I loved it,Even more than the first movie..which is saying something!! Yeah it has its flaws buts overall I thought it was awesome and one of the best CBM ever!

23. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

Just got back from seeing this. And wow! I think this was actually a better film than the first Avengers. Now it didn't have that exact same "Wow" feeling. But this really felt like a better film as a whole. I loved seeing the team together so much. Every single character got their chance to shine. My personal favorites were, without a doubt, Vision ( my eyes were glued to him whenever he was on screen), Hawkeye, Thor, and oddly enough Rhodey.
    The action was insane, and Spader was pitch-perfect as Ultron. Perfect casting.

There were only a few things I didn't really like
    - The Banner/Widow romance felt kinda forced or something, though I got used to it
    - I didn't feel like Hulk got enough shine time. lol
    - Though I liked seeing him go solo for a bit, Thor's little side mission didn't amount to much

This is definitely a movie to watch more than one time. There were so many awesome action bits, and fast dialogue that I didn't even catch.

9.5/10 :)

24. LostSon88

LostSon88 Well-Known Member

I liked it just about as much as I did the first movie. For the record, "The Avengers" ranks as my 2nd favorite superhero movie of ALL TIME.

"Age of Ultron" got to that level for me but didn't surpass it.

But that's just fine as it is still a pretty solid 9/10 for me.

25. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

I am super happy that this film gets so much love now from you guys! It doesn't deserve any less! The previous negativity surrounding this film in here previously is baffling to me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.